Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2011, 12:53 PM

Default Going HD Native for Post

I am looking to get some feed back from people on Upgrading from a HD 2 to HD native for Post work Mainly mixing Indie film and doing ADR work. Just would like to know your experience om it.

Tim
Old 10-21-2011, 01:25 PM

Default Re: Going HD Native for Post

We did just that migrating from PT7.4 HD2 to PT9 Native on G5 to an 8 core Intel.

Aside from some troubles with headphone delays because of wrong buffer size which we totally took for granted on TDM. Works fine now after fixing this with some minor issues.

We are a multi room facility but when we initially tested PT9 Native HD on a single room we did 10 short films with around 60 tracks and video on QT off a Black Magic Intensity card. In that test it was rock solid.

If you buy a new Native rig today with PT10 and an 8 or 12 core Mac and lots of RAM you should have no problems out doing your current HD2.

Hope this helps.
www.hitproductions.net
Old 10-21-2011, 08:33 PM

I've heard there are some serious latency issues and that recording VO is problematic.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitp View Post
We did just that migrating from PT7.4 HD2 to PT9 Native on G5 to an 8 core Intel.

Aside from some troubles with headphone delays because of wrong buffer size which we totally took for granted on TDM. Works fine now after fixing this with some minor issues.

We are a multi room facility but when we initially tested PT9 Native HD on a single room we did 10 short films with around 60 tracks and video on QT off a Black Magic Intensity card. In that test it was rock solid.

If you buy a new Native rig today with PT10 and an 8 or 12 core Mac and lots of RAM you should have no problems out doing your current HD2.

Hope this helps.
Have you guys done any 5.1 mixing with the Native system yet?
Old 10-23-2011, 09:51 AM

Is the latency really good enough for recording VO and ADR work?

I'm looking at a possible move to HD Native after seeing the price of HDX cards and all the system upgrades they will require.

Thanks
Old 10-23-2011, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesehead View Post
Is the latency really good enough for recording VO and ADR work?

I'm looking at a possible move to HD Native after seeing the price of HDX cards and all the system upgrades they will require.

Thanks
I think that Avid's marketing strategy is "genius"!
Do you realize that they put in fact the line dividing a truly professional studios from semi pro.
I considered my self as a pro, working full time for more than 8 years in post and using PT HD 100% of my sound design work.
I think an upgrade to HDX is expensive for me. Upgrading my HD3 Accel plus 192 I/O to HDX and OMNI bundle will be $6800 (at my local dealer).
I really can't afford it - so I am not a pro.
I may agree to pay a half from it however.

So this is a new reality definition: Pro studio will buy HDX. Pro individuals HD Native and all the rest PT10 running something.

However I see very fast limitations of HDX system when 64 bit AAX plugins arrive.
I guess then an HDX3 running 64 bit AAX DSP plugins will be equal to a current HD3 Accel system running 24 bit TDM plugins.

Back to the topic.

I ran a hungry (my studio "A" HD3 Accel created session) 5.1, 120 tracks plus VCA groups, intensive automations, EQIII on each channel, 8 Altiverbs XL converted to RTAS, minus 4 ReVibes on my studio "B" Mac 8 core PT HD9 Native without a problem. Used only 17% of CPU! Only 6 GB RAM.
However it was a test only and I didn't get deep and hard on it.

Sound Designer
/ mixer
www.goorevich.com

PT HD⎪N v2024.3 Ultimate ● macOS Ventura 13.6.3
MacPro 7.1 (2019) 3.2GHz Intel Xeon W 16-Core ● 96 GB RAM
MTRX Studio + DADman 5.7.0.1 + MOM ● Sync HD ● AJA Kona LHi referenced by AJA GEN10 ● D-Command ES24
Old 10-23-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoorevich View Post
I think that Avid's marketing strategy is "genius"!
Do you realize that they put in fact the line dividing a truly professional studios from semi pro.
I considered my self as a pro, working full time for more than 8 years in post and using PT HD 100% of my sound design work.
I think an upgrade to HDX is expensive for me. Upgrading my HD3 Accel plus 192 I/O to HDX and OMNI bundle will be $6800 (at my local dealer).
I really can't afford it - so I am not a pro.
I may agree to pay a half from it however.

So this is a new reality definition: Pro studio will buy HDX. Pro individuals HD Native and all the rest PT10 running something.

However I see very fast limitations of HDX system when 64 bit AAX plugins arrive.
I guess then an HDX3 running 64 bit AAX DSP plugins will be equal to a current HD3 Accel system running 24 bit TDM plugins.

Back to the topic.

I ran a hungry (my studio "A" HD3 Accel created session) 5.1, 120 tracks plus VCA groups, intensive automations, EQIII on each channel, 8 Altiverbs XL converted to RTAS, minus 4 ReVibes on my studio "B" Mac 8 core PT HD9 Native without a problem. Used only 17% of CPU! Only 6 GB RAM.
However it was a test only and I didn't get deep and hard on it.
Thanks for the info. think Ill be upgrading to a Native system soon
Old 10-24-2011, 02:34 AM

Also considering "upgrading to Native" for my hd3 post studio with 192 sync io, mojo and ProControl.

May just get PT 10 and stick there - also an option as rarely run out of power and don't need to go 64 bit as not a musician and support for ProControl and interfaces will die. Hardware upgrades (such as taking macpro 1.1 upwards) will be a big stretch in this economy.

Anxiously watching to see what cedar are doing re aax. TC unwrap is not going forward, so might have to watch soundfield too. Will speak to NuGen as they are my meter of choice. Sonnox and soundtoys will be moving forwards. Revibe? Bet that will be a paid upgrade if I go native.

Interesting times. Look forward to trying 10.....

Mike Aiton BSc (hons)
Audio Consultant, Dubbing Mixer/Sound Designer & Journalist

BAFTA member
IPS member

----------------------------------------------------------------------
www.mikerophonics.com
Old 10-24-2011, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEROPHONICS View Post
TC unwrap is not going forward
Mike,

Where did you get the info on this? Have TC Electronic made a statement on future support? The TC VSS3 would be nice to retain when I jump forward too...

Regards,

Rob Walker AMPS

www.robwalkersound.com
Old 10-24-2011, 03:58 AM

I'm considering also to "upgrade" to native from HD2.
Despite the fact that i'm a little afraid of being frustrated, i'm not sure to know exactly what will i loose.
As i understood, it might have AAX "dsp only" in the future.
Does the Delay isn't a problem when you're working in different studios ?
My room is an editing/premix room, and i'm concern about premix works and how the passage works from HD native to TDM or in the future to HDX.