Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2005, 11:53 AM

Default DINR: How useful is it?

Hi there -

I'm about to get the PT7 update and, in selecting the two plugs, was considering DINR as one of 'em for removing things like fan noise, amp hiss, etc. Can anyone tell me how well it works and whether it's worth one of my choices? It's either that or the Pultec bundle as I have some of the others and Revibe will probably be the other plug.

Thanks!
Old 12-20-2005, 12:30 PM

Default Re: DINR: How useful is it?

DINR is useful for about 6db of somewhat questionable noise reduction. ... AND for convincing under water fx for voices

IMHO, it is pretty worthless. you are better off getting one of the other plugs. or, not getting any and putting the money towards. SONY restoration, WAVES restoration (but, propbably not worth the WUP), or Sonic No Noise. Sonic is the most natural sounding and noise reducing of these three, but also the most expensive. and takes a while to use. if it is, then get SONY.

..i also find SOUND SOAP to be useless too...i'd save yer money and not get that. though others might feel differently.

my 2¢ about your 2k
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 12-20-2005, 01:13 PM

Soundsoap Pro works very well...
Old 12-20-2005, 02:19 PM

I agree, Soundsoap Pro works pretty well. When using any noise reduction don't get carried away with the processing. Get it to where it works and then back off 15% or so. As for DINR, DONT.
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:44 PM

Another DON'T for DINR.....
Great for Dalek effects though.
Antelope Orion 32, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5,
UAD Quad PCIe
Old 12-20-2005, 11:25 PM

Thanks to all for the swift replies. Very helpful. Now my final choice is between the Pultec Bundle and Synchronic - clearly apples and oranges. Any raves or raspberries for either of those? I know the URS Pultecs are very cool but these are probably the Bomb Factory ones. Any opinions out there?
Old 12-21-2005, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Thanks to all for the swift replies. Very helpful. Now my final choice is between the Pultec Bundle and Synchronic - clearly apples and oranges. Any raves or raspberries for either of those? I know the URS Pultecs are very cool but these are probably the Bomb Factory ones. Any opinions out there?
Synchronic is very cool if you work with loops. Limited in some ways, but brilliant in others. Worth having.

While I slightly prefer the UAD Pultec and the URS Fulltec (a slightly different animal), the Bomb Factory Pultecs sound great and are quite usable. IMHO they are (along with the Sansamp and Voce), the best of the Bombfactory collection.

STeve