Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 08-21-2012, 11:43 AM

Default Automation Follows Edit making me crazy

OK, so I thought I understood this preference, but it's been causing me numerous headaches over the past couple of days, so maybe someone can clear it up for me or else confirm that it's not working as intended.

With "Automation Follows Edit" turned off, shouldn't I be able to edit a region and have any automation on that track remain untouched? Cuz it doesn't work like that if you're in Slip Mode. If I'm trimming a region on a track with volume and EQ automation, the automation is moving along with my trims no matter what "Automation Follows Edit" preference is set to.

Also, why can I no longer separately copy & paste automation unless "Automation Follows Edit" is turned on? I swear I used to be able to copy/paste/nudge/move all kinds automation just by selecting it and doing normal copy/paste commands, but now it doesn't work at all UNLESS that preference is turned on, even if there is no "Edit" (region) to speak of on the track (i.e. a VCA or Aux track w/automation)

I'm on PTHD 10.2 on 10.7.4. I have trashed prefs, but seeing this on both my PTHD10 rigs so don't think it's a unique thing. Seems to have changed around 10.2 update from what I can tell. I work as a music editor and have a lot of perspective / futz automation to deal with and these strange behaviors are making it very difficult to cut in alternate cues and move start/end times around while keeping the automation locked in.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:28 AM

Default Re: Automation Follows Edit making me crazy

they should just rename it 'automation randomly follows edit' cos this has been happening to me since v8
Old 08-26-2012, 10:02 PM
Quiet Art Ltd.

I too find that the "automation follows edit" has been very unpredictable.
For instance, if you extend a clip buy trimming, and if the clip boundary does not have a breakpoint, your intended automation will not carry over to the extension. I find this very counter-intuitive.
Also, if plugins are placed in different slots your automation will not carry over (e.g EQ3).
Quote:
Also, why can I no longer separately copy & paste automation unless "Automation Follows Edit" is turned on?
Yes, this drives me nuts too.

WaveRider + Defaulter (now with LKFS)
QuietArt.co.nz

Catchin' SYNC app
Old 05-19-2020, 02:09 PM

Almost 8 years later and this is still broken..........