Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 08-11-2005, 01:13 PM

Default Re: Can\'t hear midi playback inside PT 6.4

Ok, I'd try this. Set up the midi track just like you have. Channel 1 in Channel 1 out. However, during your recording of the midi track disconect your "midi in" cable on the keyboard. Set up an aux track to monitor the sound from your keyboard. Make sure you have your monitor settings to "input only". Before you do anything make sure you can hear your keyboard through the aux track. If that is good, arm the midi track and record your performance. Check in the edit window and make sure you have midi data on the track. When you go to play back, un arm the midi track, reconect the midi cable into your midi in on the keyboard, and disconect the midi out cable. Press play or hit the spacebar and see what happens.
Sometimes having a midi loop can screw things up. I had a problem with an old Yamaha keyboard jumping presets everytime I'd push play.

You WILL need an aux track or an audio track with record enabled to hear your keyboard.
Old 08-11-2005, 08:06 PM

Quote:
You WILL need an aux track or an audio track with record enabled to hear your keyboard.
Thanks for clearing that up. It's really easy to get confused about this midi language. There certainly seems like there is a host of possible setup errors between a keyboard connected to the 001 and a PC or laptop. In a slightly more perfect world, you wouldn't need another 'tag along' track for midi record and playback. It'd be as simple as, say, recording audio?

I can dream

In terms of solving the problem, I can say that I unplugged the midi out cable while I was playing back and I still couldn't hear a damn thing.

I'm fairly certain that I've got the right setup now:

S03 Yamaha Keyboard:
Local Switch On

Operations Pull-Down:
Auto Input Monitor checked

Midi Pull-Down:
midi thru checked

midi track armed to record set to imput on channel 1 and output on channel 1
auxiliary track set to input on channel 5-6 and output on Path 1 (ch. 1-2)
record in the transport, spacebar...

The main problem is it's still not working.

Inversely, I've found that when the local switch inside my yamaha S03 keyboard is turned off, then I have a monitoring sound available to me thru the midi channel itself, without an auxiliary track to monitor. I should go back over the manuals. Pretty sure I set it up right the first time though.
Old 08-12-2005, 07:28 AM

Ok, lets see if I can shed some light on this subject! The most important thing to realize and understand is that midi is just data! It's essentially the "sheet music" of a performance. A lot of people use the analogy of the perforated paper used to play those old pianos, the ones that essentially play themselves. Each perforation triggers a key! Since midi is just "data" it can be used sometimes to control effect parameters and channel switching on some outboard effect gear too. So with that being said, midi needs something to read it in order for it to produce its "sound" or "audio". That is why in PTLE you NEED to have an aux track set up with a soft synth or hardware synth on it that is receiving the midi data. If it is not set up this way, you will not hear anything. So lets look at your set up and try to get it hooked up correctly.

Ok the first thing you need is the audio out on the back of your keyboard needs to be connected to an "analog" input on your Digi 001, so for argument sake lets just say you put it into analog input 1+2 for stereo. Now in PTLE, when you create an aux channel set the inputs on that aux to be analog 1+2. At this point, you should be able to press a few keys and get sound, regardless of midi. Take the time and adjust the volume on the synth and set your levels so it's not clipping. Do not proceed to the midi stuff until you can get sound that way, because if worse comes to worse you may as well record your keyboard performance as audio, just like any other instrument. To record the keyboard as audio, bus the aux track out to an audio track with the input on the audio track set for the corresponding bus.

Now for the midi stuff. When you create a new midi track, I'd leave the input on the midi track set to "all", that way it will pick up all data coming in. I'd only change that if you need specific data, which I personally find that I seldom need to change this. So with your keyboard midi out connected into the midi in on the Digi 001, arm the midi track and press a few keys, if you see lights on the midi track, it's receiving the "data" properly. Once that's good, record a bar or two. Check in the edit window, while in grid mode, and check to see if there are some notes or blocks listed on the track. If you see stuff there you are good to go with getting the performance down.

Ok, now time to check midi for the playback. I would do as Captain Pants suggested, set your Local Switch to "off" that way the keyboard won't fight PTLE for control. Set the output of the midi track to go to a "Digi port", now I don't have a 001, I have a 002R, but I know when I go to the midi out on mine I have Digi port 1, Digi port 2 and Microsoft sound mapper. Send it out to a Digi Port, and hook your keyboard's midi input with the cable corresponding to your Digi port.

Now this is just a personal preference of mine, but I have found it alleviates a lot of "I can't hear my input" syndrome, I leave my setting to "Input Only". If you read page 140-141 in the 6.4 reference guide you'll kind of understand why that's my choice.

Well I think you should be ready to hit the spacebar and play back that midi performance. If everything is set up, you should get some form of audio back.

Now the cool thing about midi, is once you have your data performance down, you can change your sound or instruments at will, if you don't like what your getting from your Yamaha banks, set up the free Sampletank on an aux track and load a few samples on that and send your midi track out to a Sampletank output, and play it back with that. Sometimes it's just cool to record a bunch of different sounds and blend them together.

Good luck, hope this helps, because I am out of answers!
Old 08-22-2005, 10:31 AM

Hi there,

Sorry it's been a few weeks since I checked back in. I've been on vacation and trying to have a good time. Once again, it's time for my favorite headache, my pro tools 001 rig and midi playback.

I have input the midi track's analog inputs to digi 001 inputs 3 and 4. There is a benefit of having your keyboard on inputs 3 and 4 because it allows the user to listen to his/her keyboard thru the monitor speakers without having PT open or your computer turned on! Cool

As far as my operations go,

midi thru is checked
low latency is checked
input filter is set to all
auto input monitor is checked

As far as my midi track,

Input is set to all
output is set to digi 001 channel 1
and set to record

I have the auxiliary track meter dancing all the time, which means the keyboard ins are fine on inputs 3 and 4 (but it doesn't really matter since I'm set to receive midi on all channels). My midi track also dances when it is armed to record. I'm also recording the midi info without a hitch so that tells me that everything is going in right.

I stil can't hear that midi playback though.
Does anyboady see what I'm doing wrong?

thanks to all the people that have posted so far, especially the above. It's still not happening though. Don't leave me hangning.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:48 AM

Quote:
low latency is checked
Un-check that.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12