Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 02-03-2023, 07:25 AM

Default Cleaning up tracks

I get the idea of trimming a track and putting a fade on it. If you have a track say a few minutes and maybe there is something at the start and maybe something at the end like a key board part or what ever part, maybe something in the middle. You still have a lot of silent space. Is it better cut the silent audio out and have it digital silence or does it really not matter?
Old 02-03-2023, 07:35 AM

Default Re: Cleaning up tracks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzerboy View Post
I get the idea of trimming a track and putting a fade on it. If you have a track say a few minutes and maybe there is something at the start and maybe something at the end like a key board part or what ever part, maybe something in the middle. You still have a lot of silent space. Is it better cut the silent audio out and have it digital silence or does it really not matter?
If it’s truly silent, meaning no audible signal, then it doesn’t really matter except for visual reference to easily see the parts where there is actual audio when you might be zoomed out and can’t make out the waveforms.
Old 02-03-2023, 12:43 PM

With the part in the middle removed, and due to various other aspects of the project, maybe the first portion and second portion belong to "different parts" and maybe 'group 1' will be shifted or handled apart from 'group 2'.

On the other hand, maybe you specifically want to connect or keep them connected as 'part 1' and 'part 2' of a sequence.

Computer hardware wise, I don't think it makes any practical difference. The visual representation and timeline/edit access is the most important part of it for the editor/mixer.
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //
Old 02-04-2023, 11:58 AM

If there is any visible noise in the clips’ gaps, those gaps should be deleted. In fact, you should do that in every track. The noise in the gaps will aggregate as part of the entire mix. It may be hardly audible, but it’s there.
Old 03-15-2023, 01:25 AM

back in the days...

simultaneous voices, tracks with plugins on them, taxed the CPU and made you buy expensive fast hard disks. But those times are over, fortunately.