Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2002, 01:21 PM

Default What kind of mouse/device are you using?

I have been struggling with my Apple optical mouse since getting my new G4. I was using a Kensington Turbo Mouse on my 9600 and really liked it. What are my options now with USB? What are people using?

Thanks.
[email protected]
http://www.boomchic.com
Old 10-31-2002, 01:27 PM

Default Re: What kind of mouse/device are you using?

ive been using the microsoft trackball optical on both the studio mac and my home pc setup. i use it along side of a standard optical mouse. its funny that i have more options for the multiple buttons when using the trackball on the mac, seeing as it is a microsoft product, you would think it was the other way around. the trackball is mostly for when i need to zip around the screens, and i use the standard optical for more precision work. having both to use is just great. and having 5 programmable buttons on the trackball is also really nice. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-31-2002, 01:28 PM

Hey Karen,

Kensington makes a USB Turbo mouse. You can also purchase an "I-Mate" adapter made by Griffin software to use your old turbo mouse. Either one should work fine.

Good Luck,
B. Fella [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-31-2002, 04:06 PM

I have 2:

Logitech Mouseman Dual Optical mouse

MacAlly Q Ball optical trackball

I want to be proficient w/ either in PT, so I'm ready for whatever I happen to be working on. The trackball is nice for tight spaces.
Old 10-31-2002, 04:25 PM

BOOM CHIC:
Go with the Kensington USB Turbo Mouse Pro,
four clickers six buttons and all programable.
Thats more than ten quick commands at your finger tips....(you can use multiple buttons for more commands).....I like it..
Have Fun

Martin [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-31-2002, 09:30 PM

Actually, I stuck with my vintage Turbo Mouse -the orginal is still the best.

OK, OK, I know what your saying "He's taking this vintage thing too far, what's he going to say next, it's a tube unit?"

Well almost. When I got rid of my 9600 and went to USB I also ordered the latest new mutibutton hi-falutin' Turbomouse Pro USB. After a week it was freaking out my fingers. I realized it was just a little sticky when moving very slowly like you do just before positioning the mouse. Kensington told me to press on the ball hard and rotate it to lubricate the bearings but this still didn't help. Then I returned it and ordered their other mouse and had the same problem.

Finally I gave up, ordered a griffin Imate serial adapter and went back to my original vintage tube Turbomouse and all is well. I'm checking ebay to find a few more to have as backups and investments. These things will sell for thousands someday! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-01-2002, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by auxsend1:
Logitech Mouseman Dual Optical mouse
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I've got one of these too, and I'm really diggin' it.

Among its other improvements, it makes it hard to imagine life without a scroll-wheel.

-dave
Old 11-01-2002, 09:38 AM

I use the Kensington Turbo with a little keypad device that's programmable.
I've actually had a guy say to me " Hey, that mouse sounds great! What kind is it?"
Our operating phrase around here has become "Put some more mouse on it" [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-02-2002, 12:00 AM

When I first got the G4 (up from 8100) the USB turbo mouse didn't exist, so I got the USB "Turbo Ball" and had the same problem as Zep Dude. I even exchanged for another one, but it was still sticky.

The "imate" from griffin allowed me to keep the adb turbo mouse going. Every once in a while the imate freaks out and the Kensington programming stops working, and you need to restart. I think it's from a little static electricity that causes it if it's extra dry in the studio.

The turbo mouse is 5 years old and still works perfectly - I can't imagine going back to a regular mouse.

kevin
Old 11-02-2002, 12:32 AM

Ordered my Imate today, and for $37.00 I get to keep on using my good ol' tube Kensington Turbo Mouse! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Did you guys keep your ADB keyboard in the chain too, or just the Turbo mouse? I find it hard to use the USB keyboard that came with my G4, and I can't see it very well either, it's black.

I really hate using a mouse, especially this Apple optical thing, I keep clicking when I don't want to , what a pain, but it does look kinda cool. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Thanks for all the info everyone. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Oh, one more question, what are your buttons programmed to do on your Turbo Mice?
[email protected]
http://www.boomchic.com