Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2005, 10:12 PM

Default Can an Mbox be used as a soundcard for other apps

I have a dell inspiron and the sound card is pretty useless. I am wondering if I got an Mbox could I use it as a sound card for other applications (like itunes or muisicmatch etc).

Thanks
Old 02-01-2005, 10:17 PM

Default Re: Can an Mbox be used as a soundcard for other apps

Yes, with Wavedriver. It will not put the normal volume control on your taskbar, but it use to have it's own volume control. It is only for playback. Not sure what it does today cause I hate wavedriver as device.
Old 02-02-2005, 01:48 AM

Default Re: Can an Mbox be used as a soundcard for other a

Get wavedriver. I run my winamp with the output set to mbox, so I can listen to mp3's through my studi monitors. At first I had a problem, it would stutter (or pause for a second or two, every so often) while playing music and it was quite annoying. I am one of the many people getting the increase/decrease HW buffer size error, and I'm trying everything to get rid of it. One user recomended to disable the spools.exe process, while It didn't completely fix the errors while running a session, it did get rid of the stutter I get while playing mp3's. The only time it stutters is if I alt-tab back to winamp. If I alt-tab to any other program it's fine, I even opened photoshop, flash, firefox tabs, etc. and it still ran fine. The only time it stuttered was like I said when I alt-tabbed or clicked into winamp. lastly, even with ever program except winamp shut off, whne playing mp3s through the mbox, my cpu % goes up to 100%.

Enjoy... and sorry for the ramble, it's 4 a.m. and I am HIGHLY caffeinated!
Old 02-02-2005, 08:57 AM

Default Re: Can an Mbox be used as a soundcard for other apps

I find the mbox actually makes a great soundcard...

Infact my mbox operates better with Sonar or Cubase than it does with Protools! (Ok so thats a software stability issue)

The Asio driver works a treat and all my playback programs like winamp and media player run great..

Freakybeatz
Old 03-01-2005, 07:16 PM

I'm also having the problem of the audio from the wavedriver stuttering every so often. is it normal for the cpu to be at 100% when using the wavedriver? If i switch winamp to the internal soundcard, the cpu is like 3%.

one more question....is it possible to use the ASIO driver with winamp, or is that just for other pro audio software like cubase?

thanks
Old 03-04-2005, 05:59 PM

When I use the Mbox to playback Windows Media Player, the sound cuts out completely when I move my mouse too quickly or if I scroll to fast on a webpage. If I stop the track and start it over, it works again. Does anyone else have this problem?
Old 03-05-2005, 11:57 AM

I get that behavior with Winamp...others have reported
the same thing here, also.
Media player seems to work better for me, though.

I have Cool Edit set as my default MP3/Wav association.
I find it works flawlessly while working with other app's and surfing.