Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support


Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #301  
Old 08-17-2022, 07:58 AM
Frank Kruse Frank Kruse is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: old europe
Posts: 5,978
Default Re: NEW UPDATED Room Calibration for Film and TV Post

Yes, hence the info in the posting above yours that the PT signal generator is to be avoided for calibration. The frequency response used to be even worse in older versions of PT so what you see now is actually already better than in the old days.
Just don't use it.
(or did you play them both at the same time in that screenshot without hitting solo?)
__________________
PTHDn 2024.3 (OSX13.6.5), 8x8x8, MacPro 14,8, AJA LHi, SYNC HD, all genlocked via AJA GEN10, 64GB RAM, Xilica Neutrino, Meyersound Acheron
Reply With Quote
  #302  
Old 08-18-2022, 08:15 AM
DJEJPRO DJEJPRO is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Dallas
Posts: 26
Default Re: NEW UPDATED Room Calibration for Film and TV Post

Right on!

That's the freq response for each source in it's own right, one at a time, separately measured; the plugin was duplicated to ensure the exact same settings for the reading.
Reply With Quote
  #303  
Old 05-18-2023, 07:49 PM
aholicsound aholicsound is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 17
Default Re: NEW UPDATED Room Calibration for Film and TV Post

Question: Should the RTA window in SMAART be set to c-weighting? And not to open pandora's box again but how many of you guys and gals are calibrating to an x-curve modified or otherwise?

I hear many houses are calibrating flat nowadays....

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
__________________
leaving the world a better sounding place
Reply With Quote
  #304  
Old 05-19-2023, 03:04 AM
Frank Kruse Frank Kruse is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: old europe
Posts: 5,978
Default Re: NEW UPDATED Room Calibration for Film and TV Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholicsound View Post
Question: Should the RTA window in SMAART be set to c-weighting? And not to open pandora's box again but how many of you guys and gals are calibrating to an x-curve modified or otherwise?

I hear many houses are calibrating flat nowadays....

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Dolby and SMPTE have been recommending to use A-weighting for quite a while now for SPL to increase compatibility as most rooms have a ton of problems in the lows and can lead to bad translations in the dialogue range.

So the up to date method according to SMPTE and Dolby should be:

A-weighting and 82.5dBSPL for rooms with the x-curve.

(This equals 85dBSPL if you add the levels of a 1/3 oct. band RTA of the x-curve.)

The x-curve is recommended for rooms >=150 m3 (5297 ft3).
__________________
PTHDn 2024.3 (OSX13.6.5), 8x8x8, MacPro 14,8, AJA LHi, SYNC HD, all genlocked via AJA GEN10, 64GB RAM, Xilica Neutrino, Meyersound Acheron

Last edited by Frank Kruse; 05-19-2023 at 03:17 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #305  
Old 05-19-2023, 11:21 AM
aholicsound aholicsound is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 17
Default Re: NEW UPDATED Room Calibration for Film and TV Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
Dolby and SMPTE have been recommending to use A-weighting for quite a while now for SPL to increase compatibility as most rooms have a ton of problems in the lows and can lead to bad translations in the dialogue range.

So the up to date method according to SMPTE and Dolby should be:

A-weighting and 82.5dBSPL for rooms with the x-curve.

(This equals 85dBSPL if you add the levels of a 1/3 oct. band RTA of the x-curve.)

The x-curve is recommended for rooms >=150 m3 (5297 ft3).
Are the updated docs posted anywhere? I wasn't aware of the a-weighting change, that doesn't ring for me. I'd be worried of over cooking the system ignoring all that low end SPL.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
__________________
leaving the world a better sounding place
Reply With Quote
  #306  
Old 02-21-2024, 09:41 PM
SDDP SDDP is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Los Angles, CA
Posts: 591
Default Re: NEW UPDATED Room Calibration for Film and TV Post

Couldn't find the answer to this anywhere. Recently had to re-calibrate my JBL LSR 5.1 Speakers. I know the sub should be around 4-5db higher. But would I have to first turn off the +10db Gain and calibrate it 4-5db and once done, then set it back to +10db?
Or calibrate it with the +10 gain on?
__________________
-Mac Pro 7,1 16core 3.2GHz 96GB
-OSX 12.7.2
-PTHDN 2023.12 Ultimate
-HD Omni
-BM Intensity Pro

-Waves Mercury+SSL4000 Collection+Abbey Roads
-iZotope RX10 Advanced
-iZotope Post Production Suite 6
-iZotope Music Production Suite 5
-HALO UP/DOWN MIX
-ANYMIX
-Delonghi Perfecta ESAM 5600.S
Reply With Quote
  #307  
Old 02-21-2024, 11:16 PM
BScout BScout is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 4,166
Default Re: NEW UPDATED Room Calibration for Film and TV Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDDP View Post
Couldn't find the answer to this anywhere. Recently had to re-calibrate my JBL LSR 5.1 Speakers. I know the sub should be around 4-5db higher. But would I have to first turn off the +10db Gain and calibrate it 4-5db and once done, then set it back to +10db?
Or calibrate it with the +10 gain on?
with +10dB on
And it isn't "around 4-5dB higher"
It is exactly 10dB higher for the in-band frequencies (40Hz-120Hz for cinema, pink noise)

An easy way to do this is measure the level of the band-limited pink noise of 40Hz-120Hz on your left speaker.
Then measure the LFE channel -- it should be 10 db higher for the same band-limited pink noise.

(this is assuming you have good L/C/R that can properly produce down to 40Hz)
__________________
Pro Tools Ult 2024.3, HDX 2, MTRX/SPQ, RME BBF Pro + MADIface ProS1 x 2, Fire Max11 x 2, Dock, iPad Air5 Mac Mini 14,12, 12 core, macOS 13.6.6RAM 32GB, SSD 4TB, GPU 19 coreQNAP TVS-872XT 148TB TB3
Reply With Quote
  #308  
Old 02-21-2024, 11:25 PM
SDDP SDDP is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Los Angles, CA
Posts: 591
Default Re: NEW UPDATED Room Calibration for Film and TV Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
with +10dB on
And it isn't "around 4-5dB higher"
It is exactly 10dB higher for the in-band frequencies (40Hz-120Hz for cinema, pink noise)

An easy way to do this is measure the level of the band-limited pink noise of 40Hz-120Hz on your left speaker.
Then measure the LFE channel -- it should be 10 db higher for the same band-limited pink noise.

(this is assuming you have good L/C/R that can properly produce down to 40Hz)

Thank you for the quick reply. So have the +10gain on and run the test again but for the LFE have a LP of 120Hz as well?

I have the JBL LSR 4328P x 5 and Sub is LSR 4312P
__________________
-Mac Pro 7,1 16core 3.2GHz 96GB
-OSX 12.7.2
-PTHDN 2023.12 Ultimate
-HD Omni
-BM Intensity Pro

-Waves Mercury+SSL4000 Collection+Abbey Roads
-iZotope RX10 Advanced
-iZotope Post Production Suite 6
-iZotope Music Production Suite 5
-HALO UP/DOWN MIX
-ANYMIX
-Delonghi Perfecta ESAM 5600.S
Reply With Quote
  #309  
Old 02-22-2024, 12:42 AM
BScout BScout is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 4,166
Default Re: NEW UPDATED Room Calibration for Film and TV Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDDP View Post
Thank you for the quick reply. So have the +10gain on and run the test again but for the LFE have a LP of 120Hz as well?

I have the JBL LSR 4328P x 5 and Sub is LSR 4312P
For the 4328p, measure both the 4328p (left channel) and sub (LFE) using band passed 50Hz-120Hz pink noise (LPF 4th order set at 120Hz)
The limits are to prevent over-calibration. If you run sweep tests, you can calibrate by the sweep (LFE sweep should be 10dB higher that Left over the range). Pink noise just gives an average to work with. Not accurate but close.
__________________
Pro Tools Ult 2024.3, HDX 2, MTRX/SPQ, RME BBF Pro + MADIface ProS1 x 2, Fire Max11 x 2, Dock, iPad Air5 Mac Mini 14,12, 12 core, macOS 13.6.6RAM 32GB, SSD 4TB, GPU 19 coreQNAP TVS-872XT 148TB TB3
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Room Calibration - ATSC Standards - Help mikevarela Post - Surround - Video 20 08-29-2013 09:26 AM
D-Control output calibration for film... Pete@twenty7pix ICON & C|24 2 02-28-2011 10:10 PM
Meters for room calibration idris Post - Surround - Video 3 09-23-2010 05:27 PM
Calibration in a small room... joeyk Post - Surround - Video 3 05-08-2006 10:02 PM
Room Calibration and Levels for LE Starcrash Post - Surround - Video 8 08-03-2005 10:40 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:52 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com