Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 02-25-2024, 02:50 PM

Default Looking for Clarity on MIDI Export Procedures

I've been testing out the MIDI export procedures to make sure when I must export MIDI, it is done correctly and have found some strange inconsistencies from comparing the manual to results when testing.

The first thing is that the reference manual specifies that muting the MIDI volume on an instrument track excludes it from the data included in the export. As discussed on this forum and tested on the current PT version, what actually excludes the data from the exported file is using AUDIO mute and not MIDI mute. Very strange.

"Also some of the mouse modifiers associated with exporting are either redundant or don't do anything.
To export a single MIDI or Instrument track as a MIDI file:
• Right-click the Track name of an unselected track in the Edit or Mix window, or in the Tracks List.
• In the Tracks List, or Mix or Edit window, Command-Right-click (Mac) or Control-Right-click (Windows) the track name."

In either case you can just right click unless other tracks are selected. If other tracks are selected you can hold command while right clicking on the desired track to only export that track's data and exclude other selected tracks, but that seems like a strange way to do that doesn't it?

The manual also says that option-shift-right clicking on a track and then selecting export MIDI will export those selected tracks. If the tracks are selected, holding option-shift makes no difference. On the contrary you can hold Option while right clicking which will export data from all tracks, but this is redundant with File -> Export -> MIDI which would already include all data unless AUDIO mutes are engaged on instrument tracks and MIDI mutes are engaged on MIDI tracks

I think the main confusion and issue here is that there are different behaviors from right clicking on a track as compared to going to the File menu, but both options provide you with the same dialog box.

Having a way and shortcut for MIDI clip export from the clip list (Like Command Shift K for Audio clip export) as well as separate export windows for the different ways to do this that provides information what data is actually being exported would be massively helpful.

With how it seems to work now it would be great if there was at least a dialog for MIDI track export as compared to MIDI project export which is how it seems to work while the export window is the same.

FWIW, the easiest approach at the moment seems to be just select the tracks you want, right click, and select MIDI export. You don't need to hold Option Shift. Select type 0 if you want the import to be merged into one track or select type 1 if you want the import to come out as separate tracks in the same way as you had your session. This is really not hard, but finding this information is

To put in simply from my testing there are 2 methods of doing this:

Method 1 SESSION WIDE:
File->Export->MIDI
To exclude data from this session wide export you need to use a MIDI mute on old school MIDI tracks but an Audio mute on instrument tracks

Method 2 RIGHT CLICK ON TRACK
Audio or MIDI mutes in this case are completely irrelevant
What ever is selected is exported with exceptions being some of the mouse modifiers I mentioned above

This information doesn't seem available anywhere so clarity from Avid would be quite welcome. I did extensive testing to figure this out, but it's hard to ever be certain 100% until confirmed by developers. I'm sort of in awe of confusing this is even though my findings seem consistent.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (59.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (28.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (98.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (47.5 KB, 0 views)
32 GB unified memory
1TB SSD storage
Ventura 13.6.4

Last edited by skylar_battles; 03-12-2024 at 11:48 PM.
Old 03-12-2024, 08:53 PM

Default Re: Looking for Clarity on MIDI Export Procedures

Could someone from Avid let us know how this should work please :)

EDIT: Updated methods for clarity in original post
32 GB unified memory
1TB SSD storage
Ventura 13.6.4

Last edited by skylar_battles; 03-12-2024 at 11:30 PM.
Old Yesterday, 12:59 PM

Default Re: Looking for Clarity on MIDI Export Procedures

I'll bump this.

One thing I'll add is that the manual states that...

"Mute automation and muted clips do not affect exported
MIDI. As long as a MIDI track is not muted
by clicking its Mute button, or an Instrument track
is not muted by clicking its MIDI Mute button (Instruments
view), all of its MIDI data is exported." (taken from pg. 450 of the 2023.3 Pro Tools Studio manual - the current version I'm using)

However, my testing shows that muting MIDI clips (while leaving the track unmuted) does NOT include the midi clip in the export. So muting MIDI clips does have an effect on what is exported regardless of the track's mute state.

Using Pt Studio 2023.3
Windows 10