Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 08-24-2017, 04:35 AM

Default Switching Audio Interfaces in PT, for recording a multipac mixer then switching back?

Hi, I have run out of inputs on my Apollo, and to get the sort of inputs i need i would have to buy two more.. This is 7.5 GRAND in australia just for 2 apollo 8's! Plus another 500 for an adat expander to make one of them have 16 inputs.

I just can not afford this.. I have my one apollo 8, my focusrite adat expander, my apollo twin duo, and an adat expander for 26 usable analog inputs total.

I have needed more for ages but realised this is going to be out of my financial depth for years to come, so i have settled on an analog mixer. Furthermore i could't track any more than 32 at one time with PT no matter if i had 20 apollos and even PT HD, the limit is 32.

I can monitor an analog mixer through the apollo in realtime and the analog mixer itself won't add any latency.. when it comes time to record, i could just do track by track like i used to 15 years ago.. it's not the end of the world.

But then i saw this:
http://www.soundcraft.com/products/signature-22-mtk

This can output 22 channels over USB, i can record them simultaneously.

But to do that, I would have to change the interface to this device when i am ready to track the instruments plugged into it.

I have never done such a thing in PT.. and i need to know before i invest in the MTK version which is $400 more expensive than the standard 22 input non MTK mixer, if doing such a thing presents pro tools with issues.

Note, i only use a master output in PT, it is the final destination of all my audio, i only use a 2 track output to monitor.. I never send audio back out of it again in any other way, so there will be no outputs to mess with.

I take it i won't be able to leave the master out as the apollo so i can still monitor it, when i change the inputs to the soundcraft mixer?

and the inputs are all assigned to my apollo with names...

Can i set up profiles in pro tools for two different interfaces, where i can just flick a project over to the soundcraft i linked to, record the take, and then flip back to my apollo? I'd really only need to use it once per project to record my outboard plugged into the mixer in one take to audio, via the USB! the usb idea turns me on rather than going analog out then back in to the apollo.

Hey, my old recordings used mixers that were noisier and soundcards with way less range and more noise, and they sounded fine, so i'll do the apollo method if it will muck up my PT too much. But the time saving will be massive IF it's feasible to do without complications.

What i am worried about is that PT might go nuts cause all the apollo inputs suddenly disappear and might ruin all the project settings.. I have no idea which is why i REALLY need help on this one prior purchase!

if it' just a simple case of switching interface, recording then switching back, i'll be elated!

TIA!
Old 08-24-2017, 06:11 AM

Default Re: Switching Audio Interfaces in PT, for recording a multipac mixer then switching b

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
Hi, I have run out of inputs on my Apollo, and to get the sort of inputs i need i would have to buy two more.. This is 7.5 GRAND in australia just for 2 apollo 8's! Plus another 500 for an adat expander to make one of them have 16 inputs.

I just can not afford this.. I have my one apollo 8, my focusrite adat expander, my apollo twin duo, and an adat expander for 26 usable analog inputs total.

I have needed more for ages but realised this is going to be out of my financial depth for years to come, so i have settled on an analog mixer. Furthermore i could't track any more than 32 at one time with PT no matter if i had 20 apollos and even PT HD, the limit is 32.

I can monitor an analog mixer through the apollo in realtime and the analog mixer itself won't add any latency.. when it comes time to record, i could just do track by track like i used to 15 years ago.. it's not the end of the world.

But then i saw this:
http://www.soundcraft.com/products/signature-22-mtk

This can output 22 channels over USB, i can record them simultaneously.

But to do that, I would have to change the interface to this device when i am ready to track the instruments plugged into it.

I have never done such a thing in PT.. and i need to know before i invest in the MTK version which is $400 more expensive than the standard 22 input non MTK mixer, if doing such a thing presents pro tools with issues.

Note, i only use a master output in PT, it is the final destination of all my audio, i only use a 2 track output to monitor.. I never send audio back out of it again in any other way, so there will be no outputs to mess with.

I take it i won't be able to leave the master out as the apollo so i can still monitor it, when i change the inputs to the soundcraft mixer?

and the inputs are all assigned to my apollo with names...

Can i set up profiles in pro tools for two different interfaces, where i can just flick a project over to the soundcraft i linked to, record the take, and then flip back to my apollo? I'd really only need to use it once per project to record my outboard plugged into the mixer in one take to audio, via the USB! the usb idea turns me on rather than going analog out then back in to the apollo.

Hey, my old recordings used mixers that were noisier and soundcards with way less range and more noise, and they sounded fine, so i'll do the apollo method if it will muck up my PT too much. But the time saving will be massive IF it's feasible to do without complications.

What i am worried about is that PT might go nuts cause all the apollo inputs suddenly disappear and might ruin all the project settings.. I have no idea which is why i REALLY need help on this one prior purchase!

if it' just a simple case of switching interface, recording then switching back, i'll be elated!

TIA!
Pro Tools Aggregate .. you can find it in the Manual .. MAC ONly though .. i did not see any system info in your post .. so if PC just disregard this please ..

this is a pic from the manual ..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2017-08-24 at 6.10.08 AM.jpg (46.0 KB, 0 views)

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 08-24-2017, 06:16 AM

Default Re: Switching Audio Interfaces in PT, for recording a multipac mixer then switching b

Mac here, thanks, but what does my question have to do with built in audio? I sincerely do not get what you mean.
Old 08-24-2017, 06:57 AM

Here is a link to setting up an aggregate device:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202000

But based on the Soundcraft marketing info in the link you posted, I read the USB as permitting "plug-ins" to be used with the console, but did not see a mention that the Soundcraft mixer was a true "audio interface" that software like Pro Tools, Cubase or Logic could use. On the other hand, there is a mention of Ableton Lite, so you might consider contacting Soundcraft's support to find out if their driver supports Pro Tools.

If the operating system does not "see" Soundcraft "audio device driver" -- the aggregate device would not be an option.
PT10.3.10HD(Tyan s2932 [8core Shanghai 2.7GHZ] 32GB,Win7 SP1); PT10HD(Tyan s2892 w/10GB, Win7 SP1);PT8HD(Dell 690 quad Xeon 3.0, 8GB, Win7,192 I/O, 96 I/O);MacBook Pro: 11R, Apogee Element 46, Focusrite 8PreX PT HD 11.3.2; Mac Pro 3.47 Hex 32GB, OSX 10.12.6/L10.4.2;L9.1.8, 2.64TB; G5 D2.3 4GB, 10.4.11/L8; 12c MP 2.66/32GB PT12.4; Structure, GigaGS3, Kontakt 5, Garratin, Sibelius 8.7+, Finale26,EMU,Vegas Pro 16-10/; RME HDSP9652,MOTU 2408 MKIII/1224/308, FX,Kurz,L5s,Strat,ASAT,JB,Zon
Old 08-24-2017, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Mac here, thanks, but what does my question have to do with built in audio? I sincerely do not get what you mean.
built-in was just an example !!! .. aggregate will allow you to use a different inputs and outputs .. as you asked .. very simple ..

in Playback Engine Pro Tools Aggregate, please just take a look and try it out ..

cheers john

Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 08-24-2017, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panamajack View Post
Here is a link to setting up an aggregate device:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202000

But based on the Soundcraft marketing info in the link you posted, I read the USB as permitting "plug-ins" to be used with the console, but did not see a mention that the Soundcraft mixer was a true "audio interface" that software like Pro Tools, Cubase or Logic could use. On the other hand, there is a mention of Ableton Lite, so you might consider contacting Soundcraft's support to find out if their driver supports Pro Tools.

If the operating system does not "see" Soundcraft "audio device driver" -- the aggregate device would not be an option.
it's definitely a true audio interface, it allows bi directional streaming to somehow use plugins on the external sounds.. i won't be needing that, only the "Both have an ultra-low-latency USB interface that flawlessly captures every channel, which can then be mixed or transferred to a DAW for further mixdown and production".

ok i'll check out aggregate..

does this create any extra latency or performance issues?
Old 08-24-2017, 02:41 PM

Ok this is not the answer.. aggregate allows you to add another interface to be used together with another and shows them as extra ins and outs as if it was an extension of the same interface.. this does not overcome pro tools 32 in limitation.

I guess people didn't actually read my TL;DR post.

I want to stream the 22 channels of the souncraft in one go.. with the 26 i already have of apollo that would be 48, impossible for pro tools.

So my original question remains, including for windows as one day i might go to windows anyway when my ageing imac dies..

what happens, if in pro tools preferences, during an active project, i switch my interface over to another one to record it, then switch back?
Old 08-24-2017, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Ok this is not the answer.. aggregate allows you to add another interface to be used together with another and shows them as extra ins and outs as if it was an extension of the same interface.. this does not overcome pro tools 32 in limitation.

I guess people didn't actually read my TL;DR post.

I want to stream the 22 channels of the souncraft in one go.. with the 26 i already have of apollo that would be 48, impossible for pro tools.

So my original question remains, including for windows as one day i might go to windows anyway when my ageing imac dies..

what happens, if in pro tools preferences, during an active project, i switch my interface over to another one to record it, then switch back?
only PTHD will overcome the 32 track limit .. sorry i did not address that as it was a non-issue to me .. my bad ..

cheers john

Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 08-24-2017, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1192 View Post
only PTHD will overcome the 32 track limit .. sorry i did not address that as it was a non-issue to me .. my bad ..

cheers john
It will only overcome the limit when using HD hardware.. It will always be 32 ins for core audio no matter what. Avid purposely imposed this limitation as no other major daw has it, to sell their hardware. And believe me, i considered it. I looked at antelope audio going into PT HD native.. with the goliath i could do 64 ins all in one interface, all my outboard gear permanently ready to record at any time.. but it's 11K for the interface here in AU and 5+K for hd native. Um.. no.

Once again, is pro tools able to switch interface hardware during a project without causing major issues?

If nobody knows I will find out myself or just re join my avid support plan and ask them.

I have absolutely no idea how such a clearly articulated question got so misunderstood.

I'll try make it simpler.. I do not want any workarounds or alternatives..

I am simply asking if i can do what i actually *asked*..

If ANYBODY knows, please share your results with me, I would appreciate it.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:14 PM

Default Switching Audio Interfaces in PT, for recording a multipac mixer then switching back?

There is no clearly articulated question here, there is a bunch of rambling where it's particularly hard to work out how much understand about Pro Tools concepts, like how IO happens/is mapped to labels etc.

Of course you can switch interfaces--and the Pro Tools session will restart and you will need to deal with the IO being different.

It is not that people don't know what happenes if you switch IO, lots of folks here do that all the time. I'm more lost what you think will happen with IO. Input, output and bus IO names are meaningless strings, you can map whatever names you want to physical IO port numbers. When you switch interfaces you normally want all that to change with the interface and it will.

What you expect/want to happen I have no idea.

I am also lost why you just don't just play with this. You already own multiple interfaces so just try switching between them and playing with IO setups.

And a much more reasonable and clear question would have been "I know folks switch interfaces all the time working with sessions but I don't understand how to do this, can somebody point to a place I can learn more....". Then we could just point you to this http://www.avidblogs.com/how-to-use-...-pro-tools-12/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 08-24-2017 at 09:53 PM.