Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 07-12-2011, 05:06 AM

Default No sync light on 003 when hooked up w/11R?

Hey guys,

I've had my eleven rack hooked up to my 003 rack for almost a year now...no connection problems as such once all was hooked up.

When turning on I normally flick the 11R on, then 003, and then the computer...tonight i turned on the 11R but forgot to turn on the 003, so once i launched pro tools it came up with the box that states 'your I/O settings have changed since last time', i clicked 'OK' or similiar, and found that once i had eventually corrected/defaulted the I/O settings, I did not have the 'sync' light on, on my 003?
So basically i cannot embed my spdif 11R into the 'input' setting in pro tools cause it won't allow me to due to my 003 not synced up to the 11R...other words...no sync light. So though I can play my tracks in PT, it wont allow me to record or set up the I/O...the 'input' section is greyed out, even though all user option settings on the 11R are fine...?
I've had it all running fine up until now, this problem is just due to not turning on the 003rack when powering up, and somehow caused it not too sync up anymore.

Absolutely stumped...hope you guys can help??

Pete
Old 07-12-2011, 05:33 AM

Location: Current: Ikebukuro, Tokyo, Hails from: San Francisco
Default Re: No sync light on 003 when hooked up w/11R?

Check your hardware and playback engine settings and make sure all is as expected. I usually get the grayed out input when switching between interfaces and the same I/O can't be reproduced.

also try "defaulting" your I/O and see if it returns to normal with each interface. Seeing as though they are both Avid interfaces, you probably got a I/O preset automatically saved for them as well.

Additionally, be aware of what's your master clock is when you got the multiple interfaces hooked up via spdif. you say you're turning on the 11R first? so I assume that's your master clock, and your 003 is going of that? When PT is open and using the 11R as the main interface, it's clock settings are controlled via the hardware setup. I don't have access to a 003 so I can't check to make sure.

Just throwing out general suggestions, sorry if i'm not much help.
RME Fireface 800
Eleven Rack
Old 07-12-2011, 01:01 PM

Hey Madgt,

Yeah i have defaulted my I/O, and regardless, they do have the settings I was using before, they are correct...i believe so?

I am turning on the 11R first only because someone else said thats what they do...I have 003 as internal and 11R as SPDIF in the hardware set up.

So you say that once you have the greyed out input section, you can't use the Input section as before? On that specific project or in general...?

Once i get the sync light on, all will be fine. It's just trying to find out how to do that, when it seems to me all settings are the same as before??

Thanks for your help Madgt, any other advice also much appreciated

Pete
Old 07-12-2011, 02:02 PM

I'm not sure what exactly the problem is, therefore my solution would be vague. But in your described setup, here is what I would do.

Since the 003 is the set to "internal", therefore the main clock, i would turn that one on FIRST. Give it a sec to get where it needs to go. After, turn on your 11R, which should be set to spdif to latch on to the pre-existing clock source from the 003.

This is exactly what I do with my RME Fireface 800 and 11R. 2 cables for SPDIF, standard config. And if all goes well, your devices will be synced.

If that doesn't work, it may help to go through with the tech support utility provided by Avid (trashing preferences, databases, etc.) as well as go through the general troubleshooting steps pertaining to your OS.
RME Fireface 800
Eleven Rack
Old 07-12-2011, 04:39 PM

You wont get the Sync light on the 003 if the 003 is the Clock Source. If you change the clock source to the 11R and the 003 is "sync'd" to the 11R, then the sync light will be on.

This is all explained in my "Hook Up to another interface with SPDIF" videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0DRUGqfQ8o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWP0EIFz0c0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zwfbv2esctw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQSKi9BAc4A

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 07-12-2011, 05:21 PM

I've found in my setup that it works best to first turn the 003 on then the 11R (let each of them finish their startup procedure first before turning next one on) then bootup computer. To turn off, shutdown computer then turn off hardware.

My 003 is the master clock.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 07-12-2011, 10:04 PM

Ah! Benoni to the rescue. Well at least we can rule out that the sync light itself isn't the problem. But that makes me wonder, that if the sync light was on during the OP's original setup, wouldn't that mean that the 003 was banking off of the 11R's clock?

BTW i realized that I didn't answer this question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph.D View Post
So you say that once you have the greyed out input section, you can't use the Input section as before? On that specific project or in general...?

This type of behavior is in general, especially when changing interfaces, or if i open up a session someone else made and I have differing I/O paths. I/O paths that can't be established will be grayed out by PT until I select an I/O path that can be established.
RME Fireface 800
Eleven Rack
Old 07-12-2011, 11:02 PM

Thanks for the reply guys,

I heed the advice.

Back from work, gotta a coffee, going to get stuck into it and see if I can win. Will let you know how i get on...

Cheers

Pete
Old 07-13-2011, 01:30 AM

Got it all sorted.

I actually thought i needed the sync light on but i see what benoni said below, funnily enough i watched the online vid before i posted but didn't realise all this. So i must have been running the 003 as the clock source and had no sync light to start with but didn't take notice of this...hopeless! Sorry guys (madgt) as you were thinking I had it lit initially : )

These were the settings that got it sorted: (in case anyone else stumbles across this and it helps - Benoni's vids clearly outline how to setup)

Pro Tools Setup

Hardware:
003 - internal
11R - S/PDIF

Playback:
Current Engine - 003

I/O: - default

11R Setup

User Options
Rig Input - guitar
Embed setting - S/PDIF Left-Right

The project that was opened up without the 003R turned on and was affected in its settings; well, I was unable to activate the Inputs to S/PDIF and embed the 11R, so I had to drag the audio tracks into a new tracks and then delete those tracks that were S/PDIF inactive...I found that not being able to activate those tracks very frustrating...is that a clunky aspect of PT or my lack of knowledge on how to rectify this? Again Madgt you've touched on this...cheers

Anyways, thanks guys for helping out. The good thing is that when you have to deal with circumstances such as this you always come out with more knowledge...

Cheers

Pete