Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 09-15-2009, 07:25 PM

Default bounced tracks not dropping in properly

I have read several posts on here regarding bouncing and exporting individual tracks. My specific problem is as follows:
I am trying to bounce individual tracks to share with a fellow DJ out in California to make a mix. Every time i bounce a track and import it back into pro tools it doesnt start where it should. For example if a portion of beat starts at 3|1|0 the file that i bounce and then import (or drag and drop...makes no difference) will start audio at 3|2|0 or some point later than that.
I have tried consolidating the track then bouncing, compacting the region then bouncing or exporting the region (neither works). I have elastic Audio disabled during all of this.
What am I doing wrong where I cant get the audio to export so it properly starts at 3|1|0 like in my mix in pro tools?

Thanks so much for any help !!
Old 09-15-2009, 07:31 PM

Default Re: bounced tracks not dropping in properly

Consolidate the region so that it starts at zero (0|0|0). To do this, select the region in question, hold shift, press return (which creates a selection that includes the region, but starts at zero). Now consolidate (shift+option+3). What this does, is it creates a region that starts at zero, but the audio should come in at it's desired location. All the "dead space" before it should be at 0 volume, provided there was nothing there to begin with.

This is how I bounce tracks for import to other software, and it works every time.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali9dub View Post
I have read several posts on here regarding bouncing and exporting individual tracks. My specific problem is as follows:
I am trying to bounce individual tracks to share with a fellow DJ out in California to make a mix. Every time i bounce a track and import it back into pro tools it doesnt start where it should. For example if a portion of beat starts at 3|1|0 the file that i bounce and then import (or drag and drop...makes no difference) will start audio at 3|2|0 or some point later than that.
I have tried consolidating the track then bouncing, compacting the region then bouncing or exporting the region (neither works). I have elastic Audio disabled during all of this.
What am I doing wrong where I cant get the audio to export so it properly starts at 3|1|0 like in my mix in pro tools?

Thanks so much for any help !!
You could be suffering from latency.. Do you have any plugs on your stereo master fader (or aux if you do it that way)..?

Instead of bouncing to disc, try recording to a new stereo audio track. You should be able to see very quickly if the new audio is lagging behind..

You could then slide it around until it is correct again (look for strong transients to match up with an original track) then consolidate..

Probably other methods as well..
Old 09-15-2009, 07:36 PM

Then you just bounce to disk? Any format preferred over others?

Oh....I only have 1 plug-in on the master.

Last edited by cali9dub; 09-15-2009 at 07:38 PM. Reason: adding a response
Old 09-15-2009, 07:41 PM

Rather than bounce to disk, use Export Regions as Files, from the Regions side bar. Select the recorded audio, press shift+command+k. Pretty sure latency shouldn't have anything to do with export.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali9dub View Post
Then you just bounce to disk? Any format preferred over others?

Oh....I only have 1 plug-in on the master.
And what plugin is that? It could be introducing a lot of latency..

And yes, if you get your mixdown track inside ProTools, then export instead of bounce..
Old 09-15-2009, 07:48 PM

Izotope Ozone is the plug-in, which I want applied to the bounced tracks.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:52 PM

Thanks Dism..does elastic audio need to be disabled? and does it matter after that if the track is tick based or sample?
Old 09-15-2009, 07:55 PM

Best thing to do is follow flommer's advice, and record the audio to a new track. To do this, bus the outputs of each track you want included in the mix, to a new audio track.

i.e. Change the output of the track you wish to record from to "bus 1-2", and the input of the track you are recording to, to "bus 1-2". Change the output of the Master channel to "bus 1-2" as well. Then record as you would normally to the new track.

You will be able to see in the new track whether or not latency is your problem. If everything is lined up as you like, export (shift+command+K) the region, and everything should be lined up properly.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:59 PM

Just to mention (NOTE: i'm not necessarily saying it's the cause of your problem) - from my experience Ozone introduces a HUGE plug-in delay - the largest i've seen out of all of my plugs (and I use a fair few).

I once bounced a track with Ozone on it, and compared it to the original - you could audibly hear the delay on the "Ozone'd" track (i.e. when playing both tracks with everything else muted, you could actually hear the two tracks DISCRETELY - it was that bad!), and you could see the misalignment in the waveforms in the edit window when you put the two tracks one above the other.

Thought I would mention this, JIC. Apologies if it is unrelated to your problem.