Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 09-03-2004, 05:19 AM

Default How to make a record tally light with SYNC?

I've been looking and looking at the SYNC manual but I don't understand a thing about electronics. It seems that the TTL output that corresponds to the Record light could directly drive a single LED; the manual says the TTL outputs 3.3V but I was under the impression TTL was 5V, for example. And although they have a 220ohm resistor in series (internally), I don't know if they'd protect the LED and the GPI circuits. (I seem to recall that LEDs need to be associated with a resistor in series and their value is usually 220ohm).
So, would running a cable from the GPI to a red LED give me a tally light or would it give me a broken 192? Does anybody know?

Or, what have you been using as a control box that can receive the SYNC's GPIO commands? Where can I get one?

Thanks.
Old 09-04-2004, 12:57 PM

Default Re: How to make a record tally light with SYNC?

Your right that LED's need a resistor in series as a current limiter. I would not drive the LED directly off the TTL out put. It might work but if something goes wrong your risking an expensive repair. I would buffer the out put, I side benefit is you could drive anything not just the LED. There is a company out there that has a box that does just what your trying to do and if I remember it wasn't that expensive. We were looking at it because it indicated Rec Ready, Play and Rec. So on the stage you actually knew what was happening.
Old 09-11-2004, 08:16 PM

Default Re: How to make a record tally light with SYNC?

It's called the PUNCHLIGHT
Control 24 - 96io - 1622
OSX 10.6.8 - PTHD 10.3.10