Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools Sketch

Old 09-25-2023, 05:34 PM

Default iPad Sketch: Can I save a project without Internet access ?

SOLVED - SEE BELOW
NOT SOLVED - SEE BELOW BELOW

Yo

Is there any way to save an iPAD Sketch project in the iPadOS File System ? You can 'Export' the file, but that renders the project to a stereo Wav file (in the iPadOS File System). When I go to save the project it takes me to an AVID login screen. Seems like an odd limitation - but I guess when something on the Internet is free...

Wondering ?

ejinbc

Last edited by ejinbc; 09-28-2023 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Problem NOT Solved
Old 09-25-2023, 06:46 PM

Default Re: iPad Sketch: Can I save a project without Internet access ?

Yo

[edit: uh not so fast Darryl: see the need to log in below]

Finger poke the folder icon next to the Sketch project name. You get taken to a nice modern iOS file dialog which lets you save to "On My iPad".

Very nicely done Sketch product team. (why do I expect the term "not like First" was frequently said in planning meetings :-O )

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 09-29-2023 at 12:51 AM.
Old 09-25-2023, 09:37 PM

DR

Thanks for the hint.

Actually, on first usage Sketch asked me to sign into my Avid account when I clicked on the folder icon - which lead me to believe I could only store files online (like the old iOS days).

After the first sign-in, where I declined to allow usage tracking, the folder icon did indeed take me to the iOS File System.

I guess it is a way for Avid to get signoff on the opt-in to track usage.

Sketch looks useful - I just wish there was a way to assign CC messages to 'clickable' spots in the interface. Or perhaps an Avid Control / Eucon page to control the Sketch interface. As a guitar player, any way to foot-trigger the record button would make the Sketch workflow much more fluid.

Thanks.

ejinbc
Old 09-28-2023, 09:06 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejinbc View Post
DR

Thanks for the hint.

Actually, on first usage Sketch asked me to sign into my Avid account when I clicked on the folder icon - which lead me to believe I could only store files online (like the old iOS days).

After the first sign-in, where I declined to allow usage tracking, the folder icon did indeed take me to the iOS File System.

I guess it is a way for Avid to get signoff on the opt-in to track usage.

Sketch looks useful - I just wish there was a way to assign CC messages to 'clickable' spots in the interface. Or perhaps an Avid Control / Eucon page to control the Sketch interface. As a guitar player, any way to foot-trigger the record button would make the Sketch workflow much more fluid.

Thanks.

ejinbc
Thanks Darryl for the tips and thanks ejinbc for responding back. I did send your wish o the Sketch dev team for consideration :)

Marianna

[email protected]
cell +1 (813) 493-6800
AOL IM avidmarianna
Twitter Avidmarianna

We're Avid. Learn more at www.avid.com
Old 09-28-2023, 01:28 PM

Yo

Update, and it's not a good one. Apparently, you MUST be logged in to your AVID account to SAVE your project. If you are not logged in, and you then login to your AVID account, you do indeed lose your work (as pointed out in another post).

Note, I had logged out of my AVID account, after having saved a previous Sketch project successfully to the iPAD OS File System.

This is not particularly cool programming practice.

Currently, the only way to SAVE a project is to be logged into your Avid account BEFORE you start the project.

Poop.

ejinbc
Old 09-29-2023, 12:51 AM

Yo oh no.
I should go slow(er).

Turns out I had never seen an account login because somebody else I was had handed my iPad to and then walked away got playing with it and had logged into their account on my iPad and not logged out, so I never saw the login screen. They have been dealt with :-(

OK it requires a login, I can choose not to share metrics. And can then save locally. And then have a nice local iOS file systems UI/UX or ability to share multiple ways and nobody was a silly enough to try to do a Pro Tools First/Cloud Collaboration type back end and that just makes me happy. Again, what I see here for a first gen product looks well done. And Avid seems on a roll with good product decisions like product repackaging into Intro, Studio etc. (may still be too many SKUs), and new VI investments and now we start to see more how these are intended to fit together in a cohesive way. And hopefully we are back with a stable perpetual offerings etc. The company likely needs to grow on the creative side, and while I think this looks a nice start, I'm not the target market or a person who can really judge that.

But yes I agree... if you deny providing usage data the question is what is the log in for. It would be good for Avid to clarify that. If you opt out of usage data collection what exactly is it collecting. I'm sure somebody will have a good old network sniff of what is going on.
Old 09-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Avid

Quote:
Yo

Update, and it's not a good one. Apparently, you MUST be logged in to your AVID account to SAVE your project. If you are not logged in, and you then login to your AVID account, you do indeed lose your work (as pointed out in another post).

Note, I had logged out of my AVID account, after having saved a previous Sketch project successfully to the iPAD OS File System.

This is not particularly cool programming practice.

Currently, the only way to SAVE a project is to be logged into your Avid account BEFORE you start the project.

Poop.

ejinbc
Hi there......

I asked one of our engineers in support checked again (as I'd already checked this before) and trying to save a project you've already started prompts you to sign in (this is expected). After signing in, the project is still there and can be saved.

The only way I can see to lose your already-started project is to go to the help overlay and "check out the demo" (which then replaces your open project without saving it). This is a known issue and in the FAQ.

You need to be signed in as that is a requirement of the app..... and is the way it is now...
Marianna

[email protected]
cell +1 (813) 493-6800
AOL IM avidmarianna
Twitter Avidmarianna

Old 10-13-2023, 06:54 AM

I used Sketch on an iPad Pro 1st Gen this week while flying. I had NO internet access while on the plane.

After 3 hours of working on a session, I tried to save to the device - it would NOT allow a save with out being signed in. I could NOT sign in. I actually ended up losing the session because Sketch decided to quit unexpectedly. I chalk that up to this being new software.

I decided to try again on the way back home on a different flight - same story, not able to save.

I reiterate - you CANNOT save a session if you haven't signed in to your Avid account.
Old 10-14-2023, 07:54 AM

Hi

Given...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marianna View Post
Hi there......

You need to be signed in as that is a requirement of the app..... and is the way it is now...
Marianna
I have uninstalled until this is fixed. Bottom line, anything on the internet that is free, that requires me to be logged in to use, starts to look like spyware...

Hoping to use Sketch on iPAD someday, but NOT today.

Uninstalled.

ejinbc
Old 10-19-2023, 06:43 AM
Avid

Quote:
Hi

Given...

I have uninstalled until this is fixed. Bottom line, anything on the internet that is free, that requires me to be logged in to use, starts to look like spyware...

Hoping to use Sketch on iPAD someday, but NOT today.

Uninstalled.

ejinbc
ejinbc
I passed that info along ...... thanks for the feedback.
marianna

[email protected]
cell +1 (813) 493-6800
AOL IM avidmarianna
Twitter Avidmarianna