Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2009, 04:53 AM

Default MIDI data transfer too Pro-Tools from Ableton Live?

Hi,

I realize that when in Re-wire MIDI in Live cannot control plug-ins in Pro-Tools, but is there any simple method of transferring the MIDI data from multiple tracks in Ableton into Pro-Tools. I realize it's possible to save each MIDI file and then import it into Pro-Tools, but i'm sure i read somewhere a while back that there is a quicker, easier method? Any info appreciated,

Cheers
N
Old 03-12-2009, 05:31 AM

Default Re: MIDI data transfer too Pro-Tools from Ableton Live?

Did you try to assign a Midi CC using the Midi learn function of Pro Tools plug ins ?
Old 03-12-2009, 06:58 AM

not sure if i've explained the question well enough. What i mean is, if I've created a tune in ableton which consists of many MIDI tracks and files, and i wanted to transfer the tune into Pro Tools, is there any was I can somehow run this MIDI "data" (i.e. the MIDI files) into Pro Tools via re-wire or any other method? I basically want to try and finish a tune i started in Ableton, but want to start using pro Tools instead. I guess if not I will just have to export all of the MIDI data from ableton and then re-import it into pro-tools
Old 03-16-2009, 04:35 AM

Does using a virtual midi patchbay help solve the problem? Perhaps you can run Ableton concurrently with PT and patch the MIDI through to PT to trigger the relevant VI's. The required software is Midi Yoke (freeware), but you either have to disable audio in Ableton for it to work, or have a second sound card since, to the best of my knowledge, the Digi box won't work on both the sequencers concurrently unless Ableton is a rewire slave (in the latter case you cannot use Ableton to trigger PT's VIs).