Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2020, 01:57 PM

Default HDX Thunderbolt 3 Chassis

Does anybody know if it is possible to fit an HD Native pcie card into the new Thunderbolt 3 Chassis. All of the blurb on the website etc, suggests that you need an HDX card, but I cant imagine why an HD Native card would not work, given that it is just a pcie card. Am I right to assume that the likely reason Avid dont refer to it, is just that they dont support the card any more. Or is there something I am missing.Cheers,

CP
Old 06-19-2020, 07:38 PM
Avid

Default Re: HDX Thunderbolt 3 Chassis

The HDN PCIe card was not explicitly tested in the HDX TB3 chassis, but based on feedback from customers it appears to be working fine.

best,

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 09-02-2020, 07:51 AM

Jeff do you have any feedback about Sonnet Echo Express TB3 edition and HD Native PCIe? I want to use TB3 connection without adapter TB3->TB2.

Last edited by pl007; 09-02-2020 at 08:16 AM.
Old 09-02-2020, 07:56 AM
Avid

Here’s the grid of explicitly what we have tested and what combinations are recommended:

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...-Compatibility

Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
MTRX FAQ
Old 09-02-2020, 08:12 AM

Could you explain why Sonnet Echo Express III-D TB3 edition required downgrade to TB2 card and Apple TB3->TB2 adapter with iMac 19.x?
While Sonnet Echo Express III-D HDX edition can work with iMac 19.x via TB3.
Old 03-11-2021, 06:35 AM

Exactly, does anyone know what the difference is between the original Sonnet TB3 Interface Card and the Avid TB3 Interface Card?
Old 03-11-2021, 08:05 AM

From what I gathered from a quick discussion with Sonnet Tech support, the HDX issue is related to the combination of the specific TB3 bridging chip and the TB3 interface card used in the TB3 version of the Echo Express III.

A TB3 Echo Express III with a downgraded TB2 interface card works fine.
A TB2 Echo Express III upgraded to a TB3 interface card works fine.

I have never looked at one closely, but I suspect the Avid TB3 enclosure is probably pretty similar in design to the latter, running an older bridging chip with the new interface card.

I noticed Sonnet recently discontinued the Echo Express III and replaced it with the 'Echo III', perhaps because of these issues. The new Echo III includes a specific "HDX Mode" that appears to limit the enclosure to PCIe 2.0 performance.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 03-13-2021, 02:58 AM

Sonnet Echo Express III-D/R Thunderbolt 2 chassis uses PCIe 2.0 backplane, whereas Thunderbolt 3 uses PCIe 3.0 backplane.

The HDX version uses the PCIe 2.0 backplane with a Thunderbolt 3 upgrade card.
Old 03-26-2021, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmp View Post
Does anybody know if it is possible to fit an HD Native pcie card into the new Thunderbolt 3 Chassis. All of the blurb on the website etc, suggests that you need an HDX card, but I cant imagine why an HD Native card would not work, given that it is just a pcie card. Am I right to assume that the likely reason Avid dont refer to it, is just that they dont support the card any more. Or is there something I am missing.Cheers,

CP
I also would like to see this answered please..