Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 04-30-2018, 03:17 AM

Default On-board sound card issue when running pro tools

BACKGROUND: I am running both an external audio interface (exclusively for pro tools), and an onboard sound card (for all other apps).
This setup has been successful in allowing me to simultaneously use PT through my studio monitors, and youtube, etc though my laptop speakers.
ASIO4All is installed to facilitate this setup.

PROBLEM STATEMENT: This setup was working fine until yesterday. PT still works fine, but when I have PT open i can no longer play non-PT sounds through the on-board laptop speaker.

CURRENT SETUP, AND OTHER STEPS ALREADY TAKEN:
1. ASIO4All is installed and successfully recognising the two sound cards.
2. PT Audio engine is set to ASIO4all, and track sample rate is set to 48khz for all PT projects.
3. External Audio interface sample rate is set to 48khz in windows sound settings.
4. ASIO control panel is set to 48khz.
5. On-board sound card sample rate is set to 44.1khz in windows.
6. Both audio playback devices are enabled in window sound settings, with the on-board sound card set to the default playback device. Within windows device properties, the "test" for each device works fine.
7. In window sound settings, all Recording devices are set to enabled, with "Stereo Mix" as the default.
8. All latest drivers are installed
9. I have already tried deleting the AVID appdata files

SPECS:
- Laptop = ASUS ROG with Intel i7-7700 CPU
- DAW = Pro Tools 12.8.1
- OS = Windows 10
- ASIO4all
- Audio Interface = Focusrite Scarlet 2i4 (1st gen)
- Internal sound card = Realtek HD Audio

I do not remember making any significant changes to my setup, although i do move the laptop to various locations that sometimes I need to tweak the sound card settings for, so it is possible i changed something...

I have searched various forums for something that may assist in remediating this issue, however I am yet to find a solution - Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-30-2018, 03:32 AM

Default Re: On-board sound card issue when running pro tools

Some additional information that may be of assistance...

If i have PT open and I switch the ASIO control Panel to 44.1khz, other app sounds work, but Pro Tools will cease to play sound. When i switch ASIO back to 48khz, PT sound will work again, but the other apps no longer work...
Old 04-30-2018, 06:21 AM

In Sound control panel under Recording tab on my pc the local realtek options are Line In and Microphone. Set one of these to default(doesn't matter which, I usually leave it on line in). In the advanced section for whichever is default set the sample rate to 44.1 either 16 or 24 bit(also shouldn't matter which, usually leave on 16). In the Playback menu set Speakers/headphones to default then set advanced settings to the same as those for "Recording" I think whats happening is ASIO is being taken over by the internal sound when it shouldn't be. I don't have "Stereo Mix" as an option and that may be an ASIO link . Don't need to disable, but don't have as default and see if that works.
Old 04-30-2018, 08:43 AM

Why are you using ASIO4ALL? Use Focusrite's ASIO driver for your Scarlett. The onboard soundcard doesn't - or shouldn't - need any drivers. Make the onboard sound card the default for Windows sounds/audio and, if you see the Scarlett in Sound in Control Panel, disable it.

Be aware that some Windows updates and/or interface driver updates will reset the properties in Control Panel>Sound, so you then have to reset the defaults.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 04-30-2018, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
Why are you using ASIO4ALL? Use Focusrite's ASIO driver for your Scarlett. The onboard soundcard doesn't - or shouldn't - need any drivers. Make the onboard sound card the default for Windows sounds/audio and, if you see the Scarlett in Sound in Control Panel, disable it.

Be aware that some Windows updates and/or interface driver updates will reset the properties in Control Panel>Sound, so you then have to reset the defaults.
Thank you - I was unaware that ASIO4All was not required for the Scarlett. This has solved the issue
Old 10-31-2018, 07:44 AM

Hi guys, i'm late to the party on this but to add to this discussion, are either of you using both the onboard and Scarlett (or whatever your external is) for the purposes of being able to capture audio online? I want the flexibility to be able to capture audio online directly into PT without having to run a line out to Scarlett to capture to PT. At the same time, I don't want to have to disable Scarlett or power it off so the machine doesn't pick it up at all while I use the onboard. Any thoughts, tips, would be helpful. Thanks.