Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2016, 01:00 AM

Default Re: Avid Support plan renewal

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael c View Post
Agree as well. 599.00 and 399.00 for 2016 and 2017 certainly feels ridiculous for cloud collaboration and Midi timing issues and crashes....

Avid should give a rebate for 2016 to HD loyal users. The original bargain with the 'subscription plan' was they would always supply bug fixes for previous releases if you got off the plan, but wouldn't receive new features. Tough to stick up for Avid these days......
Yes they definitely "forgot" about that somewhere along the way.

Highway robbery. For those who signed up for another year, we've all basically paid $1000 for software that's so full of $#!tty bugs we're basically paying to be beta testers. I kind of wish I'd saved the money and stayed back on 7.4.1 where it was stable.

Avid don't care about customers.. they just care about $$. End of story.
Old 12-10-2016, 01:44 AM

Guys, just don't extend your HD plan.
I didn't.
It doesn't make sense.
They're not going to reinvent the wheel.
You will be fine with 12.6 HD or 12.7 HD for many years. The longer you stay, the more money you'll save. And because of $999 reinstatement fee, most of us who decided to take a break will wait longer anyway. Guess who's loss it is.
Mac Mini i7 2018,
Reaper DAW,
Presonus Faderport,
Arturia Beastep for DAW control,
Former Pro Tools HD user (from V7 until V12.6).

Last edited by jacko; 12-11-2016 at 01:23 AM.
Old 12-10-2016, 03:40 AM

"I have altered the deal. Pray I don't alter it further..."
Old 12-10-2016, 06:22 AM

I'm done with Avid for now. I'm an HD user and I'm tired of being ripped off. I am ok to pay a fee to keep my software up to date (if it actually works) but I resent having to pay for support which I've never used and for plugins I don't use either.
Avid clearly feel the 'pro' users are easier exploited. I won't be renewing until they sort out a fairer system.

When I want to buy a car, I'm not forced to pay for a pair of skis and a dishwasher just to get the car.........Sort it out Avid. You're going to lose a lot of HD users.
Old 12-10-2016, 03:20 PM

II agree 120%
Avid should at least split the fee to upgrade between upgrade plus support and just plain upgrade

the way they did for vanilla

Not all hd users are post houses

Split
The
Fee
HD

Ventura ,PT 2022.10, MacbookPro 13"[2020] M1 16G, Antelope Orion 32+ Gen3..SSL Sigma summing, SMART Comp C1LA, CharterOak EQP-1 Oceanway Audio HR4S monitors . SSL X-Rack w XR618 compressors, dbx 160x [2]
Old 12-10-2016, 04:19 PM

I'm on PT Vanilla and I 'm glad they split the upgrade from the support & plugins. I only want the upgrades. I've never used support in 13 years with protools and don't expect to. I get enough support here on the user forum. As for the plugins, I don't use them.

I'm not saying that the plugins are not good, but I have my set of "go to" plugins that I like. Since I got the Avid plugin last year, I have only auditioned them for fun but have not used it for any projects. I am disappointed that Avid thinks that taking these away from users after one year is a good business practice. For users that do use the plugins in their sessions, it seems like a scam to make them pay $100 annually to keep these working in their sessions. I suspect most will start to avoid using them in the future for this reason. Can you imagine if Waves, suddenly took away your plugins if you didn't get WUP?

I understand the business needs a steady flow of cash to survive. It's just lately these business decisions are alienating some users.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 12-10-2016, 04:56 PM

This needs WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY more votes:

http://protools.ideascale.com/a/dtd/...el/239304-3779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon View Post
I'm on PT Vanilla and I 'm glad they split the upgrade from the support & plugins. I only want the upgrades. I've never used support in 13 years with protools and don't expect to. I get enough support here on the user forum. As for the plugins, I don't use them.

I'm not saying that the plugins are not good, but I have my set of "go to" plugins that I like. Since I got the Avid plugin last year, I have only auditioned them for fun but have not used it for any projects. I am disappointed that Avid thinks that taking these away from users after one year is a good business practice. For users that do use the plugins in their sessions, it seems like a scam to make them pay $100 annually to keep these working in their sessions. I suspect most will start to avoid using them in the future for this reason. Can you imagine if Waves, suddenly took away your plugins if you didn't get WUP?

I understand the business needs a steady flow of cash to survive. It's just lately these business decisions are alienating some users.
To be fair, you could buy the plugins and then not have to pay $100/yr. And I'm pretty sure updates are then free (no WUP style scheme). Correct me if I'm wrong on that part.
Old 12-11-2016, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscomposer View Post
To be fair, you could buy the plugins and then not have to pay $100/yr. And I'm pretty sure updates are then free (no WUP style scheme). Correct me if I'm wrong on that part.
I looked briefly and don't see that these plugins are available for purchase. Correct me if I'm wrong on that part.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 12-28-2016, 02:48 PM

I agree with most here that I don't feel I received software updates equivalent to spending $4600USD over a t=10 year period.

12.4 is great and I commend them on that update but I'll stick with that until some music/studio relevant updates appear. Maybe 2018 or 2019...
Old 12-28-2016, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dversion View Post
I agree with most here that I don't feel I received software updates equivalent to spending $4600USD over a t=10 year period.

12.4 is great and I commend them on that update but I'll stick with that until some music/studio relevant updates appear. Maybe 2018 or 2019...
STABILITY IS THE KEY. Sticking with 12.5. 2or maybe 12.6.1 after I get my Mac Pro Trash Can back from Apple. Never seem to have issues with DP or Ableton, or even Logic Pro like I have had lately. A new experience for me. Usually very stable. All started with Sierra update for me. 3 reinstalls with that OS. Not sure what happened. Also 3 reinstalls with 12.6.1 and 12.5.2. Definitely won't go any higher for a while. G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS