Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 11-16-2005, 01:33 AM

Default UNHAPPY Pro Tools 7 user

i am very upset at digidesign.

pro tools 7 is full of bugs.

it freezes very frequently
when bouncing to disk it crashes
won't play sometimes
etc..
etc..
etc..

that fact that i have to remove plugins because they may not be compatible and thats whats causing it is ridiculous.

i'm very unhappy with how awful my pro tools 7 is running.

PowerMac G5 dual 2.5 ghz
1 gig ram
OS X 10.4.3
Pro Tools LE 7
mbox
Old 11-16-2005, 02:16 AM

Default Re: UNHAPPY Pro Tools 7 user

Quote:
i am very upset at digidesign.

that fact that i have to remove plugins because they may not be compatible and thats whats causing it is ridiculous.

What makes you think it's Digi's fault? Every other plug-in company are rapidly working around the clock making sure their plug-ins are optimize for PT7 and trust me, some aren't. Let us know if these are simply Digi's plug-ins or 3rd party as well so we can fine tune your issues...

By the way, if you do have 3rd party plug-ins, take them out and run PT and put it through your test, see if the issues persist.

Also, the usual Repair Permissions, Set-up and General troubleshooting is always a good start as well...
Old 11-16-2005, 02:25 AM

ive bought pt7 LE as soon as it was available and couldnt be happier. my waves plugs work fine and BFD has never been better. im running a dual 2.7 G5 with 2.5 gigs of RAM. what plugs are giving you trouble?
Old 11-16-2005, 08:00 AM

Quote:
PowerMac G5 dual 2.5 ghz
1 gig ram
OS X 10.4.3
Pro Tools LE 7
mbox
Not to be rude, but 10.4.3 isn't yet supported. This may not be THE problem, but it could be a factor. Also, do the Permissions Repair, others here have at first reported the same thing as you, but after a qucik round with the Disk Utility, everything was running fine.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:59 AM

thanks for the feedback guys.

10.4.3 is not supported? i guess my issuse with that would be why release an update that is not supported with the latest version of mac os x? seems a bit ridiculous to me.

i have tried repairing disk permissions and general trouble shooting many times.

i do recognize that it may be a 3rd party plugin. so maybe i can get some help with that.
the only third party plugs i have in the plugins folder and running are sansamp, amplitube, reason and BFD drum module.
is anyone having any issues with those at all as well?

a major problem i'm having still and could use some help on (and i will make another post if i don't get it in this thread, hope no one minds) is every time i try bouncing to disk it gets to the end and then does nothing. i click on the screen and the colored ball comes up. i have to restart pro tools every time. still no success.

also, when i have reason, BFD, sansamp, amplitube as well as a few other general plugins such as EQ, Reverb etc... it often stops playback telling me to reduce or increase my buffer size. isn't pro tools 7 suppose to work really well with rtas plugins especially with dual proccessors? aren't i suppose to be able to have a lot more plugins running at once now? i don't notice a difference.
can someone help me out with a decent setup for my dual proccessor machine? such as some good playback engine setup advice?

all of these problems may be because of the plugs im running, or the version of OS X i have running.
i'm just trying to nail the problem.

i'd hate to remove plugs in my session as they affect the mix a great deal.

any help asap would be great.

thanks all.

PowerMac G5 dual 2.5 ghz
1 gig ram
OS X 10.4.3
Pro Tools LE 7
mbox
Old 11-16-2005, 10:06 AM

I would suggest reverting to 10.4.2 to see if that helps. I've only had problems with two third-party plug-ins in LE 7, which are Guru and Reator 4. I tend to follow the compatiblity docs on the support site every day to see if 10.4.3 is ready, but I don't want to take a chance until Digi says it's good to go.
Pro Tools Carbon
Old 11-16-2005, 10:16 AM

Quote:
10.4.3 is not supported? i guess my issuse with that would be why release an update that is not supported with the latest version of mac os x? seems a bit ridiculous to me.

You must be new here...

It happens all the time. You must keep up to date with the compatibility documents (www.digidesign.com/compato), and if you're serious about what you're doing, don't _ever_ upgrade your OS until Digi says so, or at the very least till there are lots of reports on the DUC that it's OK.

Anyway, in this case, there are quite a substantial number of reports that 10.4.3 is no good, so I'll echo advice already given and try downgrading to 10.4.2 and see if it fixes your problem.

Good luck...
Old 11-16-2005, 10:27 AM

10.4.3 was released practically the same day Pro Tools 7.0 was.

I personally have no issues with Pro Tools 7.0 LE and 10.4.3 -- but I also only have compatible plug-ins installed. 10.4.3 has slowed down my system slightly though (I feel).

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 11-16-2005, 10:49 AM
Avid

wreckthisplace - what are the exact error numbers in the messages you're getting? Can you be specific about which troubleshooting and set you've done (energy saver settings, trash prefs, etc)? Also, please list the 3rd party plug-ins you have installed as well as their version numbers.

You may want to try removing all 3rd party plug-ins and see if Pro Tools behaves properly.

When you're bouncing to disk, which drive are you bouncing to?
Old 11-16-2005, 11:21 AM

Go get a free utility called Spotless. It'll turn off Spotlight, and it made my system run ALOT faster and more efficiently. I'm also using 10.4.3 with PT LE 7.0 and no problems. However, like the previous poster, I'm using all compatible plugins. Although, my Altiverb 4 is working fine, and others have reported problems. I think having Spotlight turned off is making a big difference. Also, make sure you don't have any other programs open - PT LE 7.0 seems to need more RAM for some reason.