Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2010, 05:30 PM

Default Re: LE crossgrade unfair price

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmusic View Post
even if we need to complain...what we are complaining about has just got way smaller...whew
hahaha well said :)

PTMP 8.0.1 // FLStudio 9 // WinXP SP3 // Axiom Pro 49 // Delta 44 // Mackie HR624 // AKG K701 // Emu 6400 Classic
Old 11-06-2010, 05:34 PM

i think the answer is

'whatever works for whatever reason'

le/hd/reaper - who really cares about how the magic hits the page/program/ears

as long as it happens

PT 9 will help everyone (like me) get closer to the game - certainly we need skills - but damn - our tools jusy got sharp for $250

bring on the next 800 songs - by then...us (previous) LE freaks who still have 003s (with golden age pres and trusty mackie 24/8s) may well have what we need to chime a basement studio or two into submission without anger

remember we all got into this industry because music put a smile on our faces...let's try hard not to lose it

all good - peace
Cheers
S
Old 11-06-2010, 06:40 PM

Alright, alright....as the original poster on this, I did not expect the spanish inquisition ;-)
You're right of course, it is great value. I suppose I was just being miserable because I've spent $25,000+ on Digidesign hardware in the last 17 years or so.
I'm not the cheapskate some of those who replied suggest I am, and I do not use pirate software...all my plug-ins are paid for & on ilok

I think the only point I was trying to make was that AVID should have rewarded people who bought Digidesign hardware in the past (now that they are saying goodbye to the policy of making them buy it if they want to use PT). Just really because it's what built their success (people buying their hardware). BUT they are not, and yes the upgrade is good value for money...so no more whining!
Old 11-06-2010, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvh9874 View Post
Alright, alright....as the original poster on this, I did not expect the spanish inquisition ;-)
You're right of course, it is great value. I suppose I was just being miserable because I've spent $25,000+ on Digidesign hardware in the last 17 years or so.
I'm not the cheapskate some of those who replied suggest I am, and I do not use pirate software...all my plug-ins are paid for & on ilok

I think the only point I was trying to make was that AVID should have rewarded people who bought Digidesign hardware in the past (now that they are saying goodbye to the policy of making them buy it if they want to use PT). Just really because it's what built their success (people buying their hardware). BUT they are not, and yes the upgrade is good value for money...so no more whining!
Oops, I for some reason confused Jamilton to be the OP.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:37 PM

I've been on ProTools LE since 2000 (001)

to finally get the bells and whistles of HD AND no longer be held hostage to Digi hardware???

good gawd man, consider the cost of moving to HD?!?

this is heaven! I can free myself of 001/2/3 pre-amps, I get ADC, it works in stand-alone

For slightly more than the cost of Logic I get HD functionality!!!

I was about to jump ship and move to Logic and Reaper with the purchase of an Intel based Mac come tax return

i still have to by the Mac, but I can stay with PT and start to think about some I/O's!
Old 11-06-2010, 08:48 PM

I don't get this, if I could get the AMERICAN price for an update to my HD system I would personally buy the LE Crossover to the biggest whiner here. Take a look at the price we from Norway have pay for an crossover.
:)
Old 11-06-2010, 08:59 PM

I really can't believe what I am hearing. The LE owners just got all the stuff that they have been asking for and the rest of the DAW users on the planet can now use PT and they are whining about the price. The only folks that might have reason to complain are the HD owners who really didn't get that much in the way of features, but will be able to work with non HD users much easier. I bought PT9 last night after I got home from AES and it is some of the best bang for buck money I have spent on recording. It dropped right in and worked. ADC alone was almost going to make me shift my mixing to Logic. I am putting my 003R on ebay tomorrow. I don't need it anymore for my workflow. Avid hit it out of the park on this one.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:56 PM

We sold our HD3 earlier this year and have hoped it would not have been a mistake. We've gotten by just fine with our LE systems and not a single client has made mention of it. Nevertheless this upgrade is like being handed a bag of gold for the price of the bag. In the past I always thought when ADC came to LE it would require the CPTK at least. We're very happy with Avid here. No complaints. Well, other that I'm not getting any younger.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 11-06-2010, 10:10 PM

Best thing thats ever happened to LE.

Had you done the Factory Pack > Producer Pro Bundle > Music Production Tool Kit > DV Tool Kit > Complete Production Tool Kit upgrades or bought HD for some of its features 249.00 would seem like a bargain.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 11-07-2010, 03:59 AM

Can I be frank: I have never been so many people been ripped off blind and not even realising it. Avid should just be ashamed of thermselves of charging those prices for upgrades, even for people who just bought protools 8.
To make it even more disgusting, for people in europe the crossgrade costs twice as much than in the US.

As for all the people who attacked those who at least had the good sense to complain, I have no doubt we can thank you for how sterile recorded music is today. With an awareness and understanding of the world that small, how could you produce anything with any amount of soul to it?

There, won't change anything but at least I got it off my chest