Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 03-26-2015, 08:23 AM

Default What is really behind all of this change?

It's no secret that Avid isn't just bursting at the seams with profit.

Knowing this, it shouldn't surprise anyone that they are making changes to rectify this problem. After stepping back and looking at the whole thing I believe I understand what they are trying to do.

First of all, if they can get everyone on the annual support plan cash flow is better. I get that. I can see the advantage to payments coming in on a more predictable basis instead of having to launch a whole new sales campaign every time you have an update. I can also see how this could let the programmers work at a more leisurely pace instead of the deadline of a new release and then fixing all the bugs created by being pushed for the deadline.

Second, as much as TDM was a great system HDX was the necessary architecture change to move to 64 bit. The real problem is that many TDM users for the most part are staying put with their existing HD3+ systems. I think Avid is doing whatever they can to finally get them off of the dime! If they can force that migration to HDX then they figure everything else will fall into place.

I don't like being forced into anything but perhaps this is whats needed to keep moving forward...

Thoughts?
Old 03-26-2015, 08:41 AM

Default Re: What is really behind all of this change?

Another thing... i dont have problem with their new ways to get more money and clash flow BUT please fix the bugs ...like the clock recall and digi003 driver ....i ve paid a support code in the past and the tech never resolve the issue . On top of that another user discover that the PT v8 driver doesnt give the ( click , punch , play , pause , punch issue ) but nothings happened. :-/ ..

Also the wordclock ...please make the system recall the last wordclock setting...

I have NO problem to pay more or whatever they bring to the table BUT fix things AVID !!
Old 03-26-2015, 08:48 AM

I do have a problem with it. The financial problems are due to incompetent management. You're the industry leader in audio software and you're unable to be profitable? How is that even possible?
Old 03-26-2015, 09:44 AM

I agree with every post in this thread (so far). Their financial issues are due to bad management and poor planning.

I have no philosophical issue with a subscription model. I quite like how Adobe does it. But this false distinction that Avid gives us is bonkers. They are selling a support and upgrade plan, but we own the software. It bugs me because Avid wants me to buy something that they are historically bad at...giving support. And releasing PT12 with no real features is just rubbing the fact in to us that the only way to exist in the world of Avid is to buy in to one of these contracts. Add to that the fact that a wide majority of their customers still don't understand what is going on we get a company that is looking less and less like a professional software company catering to music and post production and more like...well...Guitar Center.

AD
Old 03-26-2015, 10:04 AM

Back in the late 90's/early 2000 they really had no pro competition. I think that has changed dramatically over the last 10 years.
So if they like to keep selling HDX systems they need to get down to earth on pricing. It's way to expensive. Most guys will go native with 3d party hardware.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsexton View Post
I can see the advantage to payments coming in on a more predictable basis instead of having to launch a whole new sales campaign every time you have an update. I can also see how this could let the programmers work at a more leisurely pace instead of the deadline of a new release and then fixing all the bugs created by being pushed for the deadline.
Two thoughts.

Lawn mowers and Bar-B-Que pits.

I was at Home Depot and they had a large display outside with seasonal products. These companies have figured out a way to stay in business through the times when their products aren't selling. Few people buy a lawn mower in January.

So Avid needs to find a way to run the business between purchased updates. Wanting a steady stream of orders is a nice goal but you need to sell products we want to buy, not forcing purchases based on your timetable.

I can't imagine anyone buying PT12 if they already have PT11. Perhaps later when features are added but there is not enough new and exciting. Improvements "under the hood" when it is not explained doesn't get me to buy.
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:07 AM

I think they are looking at Autodesk as a model. Have you seen what they charge for their software? Subscriptions too. Not cheap at all.

Pixar just released their RenderMan tool for free for use in Maya. Maya is $3k+ for a full license and/or $185 per month as a subscription. AutoCAD is more.

I would venture a guess there are no small 1 man Maya or AutoCAD operations as there are with ProTools HD users.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeam25 View Post
... BUT please fix the bugs ...like the … digi003 driver ..
What's the issue with the digi 003 driver?
Old 03-26-2015, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsetto View Post
What's the issue with the digi 003 driver?
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=352981

Still not fixed in the latest version.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:47 AM

I also believe that part of this new plan is pure greed. With the income gap in the USA getting bigger and bigger as days go on, the upper ups at Avid want to personally make more money, and also keep the stockholders happy as well. And really, who doesn't want more money ?

But the end game to this plan is... what happens when the subscriptions aren't enough to keep them all in high cotton? As the cost of subscriptions rise, and I have no doubt they will, more and more people will fall off the bandwagon, due to the ever increasing costs. What's left are fewer and fewer customers to pay all those inflated salaries in the board room.

And then what?

Although I don't use Adobe, I predict they too will face this financial challenge sooner or later as well. No doubt there is a Photoshop Killer being developed right this second, and as Adobe's prices rise, and once people find the killer app easy to use, and cheap, there goes Adobe. There is only so much "cloud" services people are willing to pay for.

I don't care for clouds for lots of different reasons, and have resisted giving my files to someone else to care for.

Sooner or later, the Cloud Economy, which is ultimately where Avid(and Adobe) are headed, will come crashing down, and it won't be pretty.