Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 02-24-2007, 06:25 PM

Default Problem with USB Mbox\'s?

<Remember that USB MBoxes are massively problematic on Macs.......................

JazzyJ >

That quote is lifted from another string.

WHAT THE HECK DOES IT MEAN?

Suddenly, USB Mboxes are 'massively problematic' on Macs!? Uhm...isn't that all of them?
Old 02-25-2007, 01:32 AM

Default Re: Problem with USB Mbox\'s?

My Mbox works fine on Mac (and PC) haven't tried the Pro (which indeed is FW).
Old 02-25-2007, 07:17 AM

My original Mbox worked fine on my MBP, I traded it in on a 002 and just ordered a Mbox Mini. I don't think that MBox are massively problematic but the abilty so provide enough USB power to the USB port seems to vary from machine to machine.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 02-25-2007, 07:21 AM

Look, I just want a simple clear answer to this question (which I should have asked in the first place):

Can my Mbox2 work without these 'massive problem[s]' on a Macbook?

THAT'S what I'm planning to get, THAT'S what everyone has the most bang for the bucks and THAT'S the one I thought was unproblematic.

Please correct me if I'm wrong - I've only got a few weeks left before I can decide to make the final purchase.

Thanks again!:)
Old 02-25-2007, 08:40 AM

Quote:

Look, I just want a simple clear answer to this question (which I should have asked in the first place):

Can my Mbox2 work without these 'massive problem[s]' on a Macbook?

THAT'S what I'm planning to get, THAT'S what everyone has the most bang for the bucks and THAT'S the one I thought was unproblematic.

Please correct me if I'm wrong - I've only got a few weeks left before I can decide to make the final purchase.

Thanks again!:)
FINKSTONE, Its supported. Its compatable, You SHOULDN'T have any problems.

Most people don't have any problems, being that this is a "Users Forum" there are a lot of poeple were that DO have problems to troubleshoot.

The sqeaky hinge gets the oil, The whiner gets the cheese. Most people don't stop in to tell us there system is working fine. their to busy

Truth be known we probably never hear anything from someone who's systems is flawless, has RTFM, followed the compatibilty pages to the "T"

They are all off happily making music somewhere.

My best and personal advice on this issue would be buy the MBox from a local music store that will let you return/exchange it if you have problems.

The problem seems to stem from underpowered USB buss's that are on the computers mother board.

No one on this board can offer you their personal gaurentee that any particular peice of equiptment is going to work with your personal, individual computer.

Its approved, Its supported.

We're here.

Try it.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 02-25-2007, 11:49 AM

... Just what sunburst said
Old 02-25-2007, 03:20 PM

Well...

how underpowered is the USB on the motherboard? Is it worth getting a different, specific computer which is unencumbered by this problem? I know it's compatible and will work already - I'm just asking to know, I suppose, how serious this USB problem is and if or whether I should consider getting a different computer because of it.

thanks
D
Old 02-25-2007, 03:48 PM

I wouldn't get a new computer unless you were actually expirincing a problem.

There is no way of telling until you plug the box into your computer.

Most people are not having any problems.

If they were truly massively problamatic they would have been pulled from the market or not qualified as being compatible.

I should have My Mbox Mini by next weekend.

If it doesn't work I'll post .

My first Mbox was fine - I'm not anticipating problems with the MBox Mini.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

Old 02-25-2007, 04:34 PM

No problems here! I've used my Mbox with an iBook and a PowerBook.

If Digidesign says your computer works with the MBox, then you shouldn't have any problems.