Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI

Old 01-09-2013, 02:13 PM

Smile USB MIDI Keyboard with ProTools 8 help, please

Hi!

I am new to the forum, and wanted to ask about MIDI. I bought a Casio CTK 2080 keyboard, and it has a USB connector on the back, not MIDI connectors. It says I need a USB A-B type cable to connect it to my computer. However, it doesn't tell me how to connect it to an interface like ProTools.

I am very new to MIDI, and have never set it up before with a keyboard. I am hoping someone may be able to talk me through how to get it set up with ProTools 8 and a Digi 003 rack? Or direct me somewhere to learn more?

I hope this isn't too stupid of a question, and appreciate your patience and and any help you can offer!

Thank you!
Old 01-10-2013, 09:55 AM

Default Re: USB MIDI Keyboard with ProTools 8 help, please

Youll use any standard USB cable to connect the keyboard directly to the computer.
Page 34-35 in the Casio manual tells you how to hook that up and get your computer to load the USB driver for it. After that its Protools setup which is simple. The midi port should show up in Protools.
Hopefully, Protools will see the MIDI driver

You wont be able to connect your keyboard directly to the 003Rack my man since it takes MIDI cables. There is a little box that will convert the USB from your keyboard to a midi connection if you wanted to do that.
http://www.kentonuk.com/products/ite...usb-host.shtml its $149 for that though. Thats ONLY if you want to use midi cables to hook into the DIGI003Rack

If you get stuck, hit me up [email protected]