Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2010, 02:27 PM

Default Re: $250 for ProTools 9 ???? = Wtf Is Avid Smoking

I can kind of understand why people get annoyed about this kind of stuff but it's just life.

How many times have we bought macs only to find a few weeks later that a newer revised model has been released.

The key here is that from what i've read, Pro Tools will no longer be bundled with Digi interfaces so in that sense if you recently purchased and you have to pay $249 your probably in a better position they say somebody who will buy an Eleven rack down the line and then need to buy the full version for $549 as well.

There have been countless rants over years about ADC and hardware dependency and we finally have it, the amount of posts where people openly offered to pay for ADC is untold, not to mention there is no longer a need for Music Production Toolkit because the multitrack beat detective and tracks counts.

This is definitely a new product and not pro tools as we once new it, Avid have made history with this release.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dougfather View Post
I can kind of understand why people get annoyed about this kind of stuff but it's just life.

How many times have we bought macs only to find a few weeks later that a newer revised model has been released.

The key here is that from what i've read, Pro Tools will no longer be bundled with Digi interfaces so in that sense if you recently purchased and you have to pay $249 your probably in a better position they say somebody who will buy an Eleven rack down the line and then need to buy the full version for $549 as well.

There have been countless rants over years about ADC and hardware dependency and we finally have it, the amount of posts where people openly offered to pay for ADC is untold, not to mention there is no longer a need for Music Production Toolkit because the multitrack beat detective and tracks counts.

This is definitely a new product and not pro tools as we once new it, Avid have made history with this release.
First off lets look at the whole picture, every month since July they been popping out new products, and now a new application ((( AVID))) rocks, that's as clear cut as it gets!!!!

Old 11-08-2010, 06:02 PM

Folks too often take for granted the cost in designing and making these kinds of tools.

People who made this for you gotta get paid for their hard work.

I was disappointed by the price too not because I thought it was ridiculous but only because I can't afford it right now.

When I can I will gladly buy it.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nz View Post
If someone asked me a month ago if I would pay $250 to upgrade to a release that had ADC as well as being able to use a third party interface I would have never believed such science fiction.

I'll gladly pay it. They listened to what we wanted and I will reward them with my money.
This is the correct answer. As soon as I can I will be upgrading also.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Park Seward View Post
PT9 is not an upgrade. It is a new application

If it's a "new application" then why one Gods name would they have built a new application in 32bit which is being phased out. The fact it's 32 bit means they are using old code or else it would have built it in 64 bit. That makes it an upgrade. It's funny seeing them say the "next generation Protools" when computers now ship with 64 bit operating systems which are the next generation technology.

I'm just joking around, although it's kind of true.

I'm cool with the price if it's got good features we just need some videos to demonstrate how we can benefit from some of the big new features. I don't see any videos like they usually have on the site. Maybe I'm missing them, are they on the site somewhere? You know the guy with the shaved head!
Old 11-08-2010, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherbert99 View Post
If it's a "new application" then why one Gods name would they have built a new application in 32bit which is being phased out. The fact it's 32 bit means they are using old code or else it would have built it in 64 bit. That makes it an upgrade. It's funny seeing them say the "next generation Protools" when computers now ship with 64 bit operating systems which are the next generation technology.
What exactly do you expect Pro Tools will do differently or better when written in 64 bits? Do you want more tracks? More RTAS?

Using more memory is the only real benefit of 64 bits. Do you ever run out of memory now with Pro Tools?

I can see advantages with very large Photoshop files and HD video but not with audio.
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Park Seward View Post
What exactly do you expect Pro Tools will do differently or better when written in 64 bits? Do you want more tracks? More RTAS?

Using more memory is the only real benefit of 64 bits. Do you ever run out of memory now with Pro Tools?

I can see advantages with very large Photoshop files and HD video but not with audio.
I don't run out of memory with Pro Tools regularly, but it's easy to get close. I'm guessing you don't use a lot of VI's, cuz they chug on RAM real quick.

Of course, there are 3rd party hosts for heavy VI's, but it would certainly be ideal for Pro Tools to be able to handle everything loaded into it.

Pro Tools 64 will see the light of day soon... but this release is worth every cent I paid for it.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 11-08-2010, 08:57 PM

BFD2 is my biggest problem because it sucks up RAM like a thirsty animal. I like to have all my kit pieces always available. But I did recently get an SSD drive which made it run better without relying on as much RAM. So I'm not as crazy about needing RAM like I used to but still can use more. Pro Tools used to bomb out on me or pop a lot which is really annoying when your recording.

I've used Adobe Aftereffects 64 bit and it renders video effects and plugins so nicely by using the RAM. It would be great to have that with Pro Tools and BFD2. I don't like seeing my RAM sitting there doing nothing while my hard drives and CPU are struggling. Even though its just audio these plugins now a days take a lot of power.

From a business perspective though hopefully they are building new features in 64 bit. Even if they don't see benefits to the common user now it should open up more opportunities in the future.

Well I'll probably grab this and see what AVID is smoking. For $250 it must be good stuff!
Old 11-09-2010, 04:24 AM

A simple question : what about toolkits owners ? We have paid for options that come with PT9 now, i feel that i have to pay two times for them (mp3 option, extented number of tracks, multitrack beat detective, time code...) to have delay compensation.
I think 64 bit Pro Tools will not come until Avid find another way to justify HD systems. I mean we know LE works on 32 bit and HD on 48, what about an open 64 bit Pro Tools processing more finely or precisely than an HD system ? ...
Old 11-09-2010, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastmboy View Post
Will that one feature be worth it? Just curious for anyone's thoughts on this. Thanks.

If you're mixing...yes. That would be my opinion, no more figuring out the math. You want to experiment with different Parallel Comps on Auxes, plug 'em in & go. No ADC is a big reason(not the only reason of course but still) I upgraded to HD which was alot spendier than going from LE8 to PT9. YMMV.