Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2017, 09:57 AM

Default Avid Video Engine adds one frame to imported *.mp4-files duration

This bug has been around for a while, since PT 12.6 or 12.7 or so (not sure exactly which version) when the video engine changed.

And now, when 12.8 finally is out and this problem is still around, I finally had enough, thus reporting it here!

Now to the problem…..

When importing video files in *.mp4-format Pro Tools ALWAYS adds one frame to the duration of the video clip.

For example; if one of my clients sends me a reference video in *.mp4 it always becomes one frame longer than intended.
If I get a video that is supposed to be 30 seconds sharp, Pro Tools make it 30.01 (frames) when highlighting it - forcing me to go through a process where all my imported video clips in the timeline has to be trimmed to the correct length.

I have no idea if this ”ghost” frame is added to the beginning or the end of the clip.
But it could potentially be serious if it is added to the beginning of the clip, pushing the audio one frame out of sync.

I’m working on Mac computers, using Sierra 10.12.5 in 25 fps material (PAL) only.
Don’t know if this bug also applies to other frame rates or operating systems (Windows?) although I think I remember having the same issue in Yosemite.

I have double checked with my clients so they don’t set their ”out-point” the wrong way in Adobe Premiere before exporting.
And they have double checked the duration of their files on their end where everything is correct.

I have solved the problem before, in 12.7.1 for example, by replacing the ”Avid Video Engine.app”-file with the one from Pro Tools 12.4, which is a very stable one that does not introduce this problem.

I am pretty sure this is a Pro Tools AVE vs. *.mp4 issue.
This needs to be solved!

Anyone else experiencing the same issue? Maybe in other frame rates than 25 fps, or maybe other file formats than *.mp4?

Regards,
Swedish

Last edited by Swedish; 07-03-2017 at 10:09 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention OS!
Old 07-03-2017, 11:06 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 12.8 bug - Avid Video Engine adds one frame to imported *.mp4-files dur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish View Post
This bug has been around for a while, since PT 12.6 or 12.7 or so (not sure exactly which version) when the video engine changed.

And now, when 12.8 finally is out and this problem is still around, I finally had enough, thus reporting it here!

Now to the problem…..

When importing video files in *.mp4-format Pro Tools ALWAYS adds one frame to the duration of the video clip.

For example; if one of my clients sends me a reference video in *.mp4 it always becomes one frame longer than intended.
If I get a video that is supposed to be 30 seconds sharp, Pro Tools make it 30.01 (frames) when highlighting it - forcing me to go through a process where all my imported video clips in the timeline has to be trimmed to the correct length.

I have no idea if this ”ghost” frame is added to the beginning or the end of the clip.
But it could potentially be serious if it is added to the beginning of the clip, pushing the audio one frame out of sync.

I’m working on Mac computers, using Sierra 10.12.5 in 25 fps material (PAL) only.
Don’t know if this bug also applies to other frame rates or operating systems (Windows?) although I think I remember having the same issue in Yosemite.

I have double checked with my clients so they don’t set their ”out-point” the wrong way in Adobe Premiere before exporting.
And they have double checked the duration of their files on their end where everything is correct.

I have solved the problem before, in 12.7.1 for example, by replacing the ”Avid Video Engine.app”-file with the one from Pro Tools 12.4, which is a very stable one that does not introduce this problem.

I am pretty sure this is a Pro Tools AVE vs. *.mp4 issue.
This needs to be solved!

Anyone else experiencing the same issue? Maybe in other frame rates than 25 fps, or maybe other file formats than *.mp4?

Regards,
Swedish
hi, what kind of Audio file is in your MP4 packages .. is it AAC ??? or PCM or ??? i seem to have read something about AAC audio having some issues .. in PT

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 07-03-2017, 12:25 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 12.8 bug - Avid Video Engine adds one frame to imported *.mp4-files dur

I've recently imported some MP4 files from a client, and I've had no such issues. I'm on Windows. Are you as well, or is your system a Mac? If a Mac, then I wonder if its a Mac issue?

Old 07-03-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
I've recently imported some MP4 files from a client, and I've had no such issues. I'm on Windows. Are you as well, or is your system a Mac? If a Mac, then I wonder if its a Mac issue?
AVE isn't optimised for .mp4/.mov - transcode to DNxHR/HD and let us know if the problem persists.
Old 07-03-2017, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent W. View Post
AVE isn't optimised for .mp4/.mov - transcode to DNxHR/HD and let us know if the problem persists.

That's true. Although, I've not experienced too many issues with MP4s. But, yes, transcoding might solve this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 07-04-2017, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1192 View Post
hi, what kind of Audio file is in your MP4 packages .. is it AAC ??? or PCM or ??? i seem to have read something about AAC audio having some issues .. in PT
Hi John,

Interesting question!
I will investigate further into this!
Old 07-04-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
Hi Donald,

I'm on a Mac system, but I don't think it is actually a Mac issue since the AVE in Pro Tools 12.4 has been working as it should.

If I remember correctly this problem came when some changes or updates were made to AVE in about version 12.6 or so (not sure exactly with which version) and has been around since then.
Old 07-04-2017, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent W. View Post
Hi Trent,

I don't think there should be a need to transcode the video material since the file itself behaves as it should.
No slow-mo lags or stuttering, simply an added frame!
Still annoying though.
Old 11-07-2022, 07:47 AM

Default Re: Avid Video Engine adds one frame to imported *.mp4-files duration

was this issue resolved? i am also getting the same problem!