Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 10-02-2022, 03:04 PM

Default Is disabling hyper-threading still recommend?

I’ve run protools on PC for many years and recently read the protools windows optimization and they said disabling hyper-threading is recommend. Is this still relevant?

Windows 10 21h2
Protools 2022.9
Intel I7 10700
16 gb ddr4 ram
1tb m.w nvme system drive
1tb ssd sessions drive

Last edited by oscarpatxot; 10-02-2022 at 03:06 PM. Reason: System info
Old 10-02-2022, 03:54 PM

Default Re: Is disabling hyper-threading still recommend?

There is no simple answer, it is workload/plugin dependent. Try what works best for you. But unless you are having AAE CPU errors with or without hyper-threading it makes no difference what you set... as you can't tell what is better or not so not worth worrying about.

If you are having AAE CPU related errors then the processor affinity settings documented on DUC and in a KB Article can be super important. But similarly if not having problems then I'd maybe not even do those. Knowing that if problems occur I will try these things.
Old 10-03-2022, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
There is no simple answer, it is workload/plugin dependent. Try what works best for you. But unless you are having AAE CPU errors with or without hyper-threading it makes no difference what you set... as you can't tell what is better or not so not worth worrying about.

If you are having AAE CPU related errors then the processor affinity settings documented on DUC and in a KB Article can be super important. But similarly if not having problems then I'd maybe not even do those. Knowing that if problems occur I will try these things.
Thanks for the reply, i guess the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach is best. Only issue I could think of is virtual instruments sometime refusing to playback at very low buffer sizes (session plays without issue but some instruments dont produce sound), for example at a 88.1kz session, the lower I can go when using virtual instruments is 512 samples of buffer size. When not sing vurtual instruments I have no issue going with very low buffer sizes when recording. Don't know if this is normal behavior or not. But maybe its worth a try tinkering with the recommended settings.

I7 10700
digi 003 rack (black lion modded)
windows 10 21h2
Old 10-03-2022, 10:44 AM

That is totally normal in cases of high recording track counts or adding up the virtual instruments to need to turn up the buffer size.

CPU, RAM, Storage speed, all these are a consideration, and the buffer size does give them (literally) some time to process all your audio.

There MIGHT be one component of your system which is a bottleneck. Otherwise, it could be totally expected to need more buffer size and hard to avoid given your use case, system, and simply the nature of time and computer processing.
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //
Old 10-03-2022, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nednednerb View Post
That is totally normal in cases of high recording track counts or adding up the virtual instruments to need to turn up the buffer size.

CPU, RAM, Storage speed, all these are a consideration, and the buffer size does give them (literally) some time to process all your audio.

There MIGHT be one component of your system which is a bottleneck. Otherwise, it could be totally expected to need more buffer size and hard to avoid given your use case, system, and simply the nature of time and computer processing.
Glad to know there is nothing wrong with my system, all in all I'm quite happy with it. thanks for the input.
Old 10-20-2022, 01:19 AM

I guess it's a common practice to test every system with default preferences.
So HT shouldn't be a problem.