Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2017, 12:21 AM

Default Instrument recording in pro tools 12.8

having set up pro tools 12.8 along with Universal Audio Apollo 12 as best as I could cannot get a signal readout in pro tools. My apollo reads everything but as the thunderbolt cable transfers signal to my MacBook pro and then subsequently in to the daw software pro tools, the armed track shows no signal no matter how i try to insert it (guitar directly, mic'd amp and then in thru the combo input. The pc recognizes the apollo, all drivers and licenses seem to be installed, accepted and in order. It seems like i am missing a small detail in pro tools to click on to complete this audible circuit. I am brand spankin new to these hardware and software industry standards and beyond a bit of luck I'm probably too green to figure it out.

I just want to record a sound to know I'm on the right track yet to date no avail. Please help

Best Regards;

Todd Gilligan
Old 08-12-2017, 01:14 AM

Default Instrument recording in pro tools 12.8

Let me guess you are mistakingly trying to record to an instrument track instead of an audio track?

You will not make good progress stumbling around with Pro Tools, you need to start with some beginners tutorials showing you how to do similar things that you want. There are many good ones on You Tube, or paid commercial courses or books available.

And open up the PDF of the Pro Tools Reference Guide to read up what an instrument track is (the guide is on your system already).

If that is not it you need to provide a lot more information including screenshots of your tracks showing input and output selectors and the setup>IO>input and output dialog screens.

Start with recording a mic'ed cab. Recording a DI guitar into Pro Tools likely will appear to not work/be confusing even with an audio track. You have to follow along a tutorial about how to record a guitar DI and work with amp sim plugins.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 08-12-2017, 01:16 AM

Default Re: Instrument recording in pro tools 12.8

DRamm with spot on counsel
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:52 AM

Default Re: Instrument recording in pro tools 12.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3HOURTOURSTUDIOS View Post
having set up pro tools 12.8 along with Universal Audio Apollo 12 as best as I could cannot get a signal readout in pro tools. My apollo reads everything but as the thunderbolt cable transfers signal to my MacBook pro and then subsequently in to the daw software pro tools, the armed track shows no signal no matter how i try to insert it (guitar directly, mic'd amp and then in thru the combo input. The pc recognizes the apollo, all drivers and licenses seem to be installed, accepted and in order. It seems like i am missing a small detail in pro tools to click on to complete this audible circuit. I am brand spankin new to these hardware and software industry standards and beyond a bit of luck I'm probably too green to figure it out.

I just want to record a sound to know I'm on the right track yet to date no avail. Please help

Best Regards;

Todd Gilligan
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=300050

we need System info would help please ... mac, PC, etc ..

1) what is an Apollo 12 ???

2) do you know how to route signals from Apollo to Any DAW ???

3) I/O Matrix in Apollo ???

4) I/O Setup in Pro Tools ???

happy to help but we need your level of expertise so we do not waste your time or ours .. please be very specific in your comments here so there is no confusion ...

maek sense ??

cheers john

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro