Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2006, 06:25 AM

Default Which Mac - MacBook or iMac?

I've been using ProTools for 5-6 years, initially on a Mac (OS9), and then moved to PC for the last few years. My Sony Vaio is just not keeping up with my sessions anymore and I'd like to think moving back to a back to a Mac will help.

So, two questions -

1) I play out occasionally (laptop sets), so ideally, I'd like a laptop. However, I'd like to get the most consistent and powerful processor, that's what is most important. I'm trying to decide between a MacBook (don't want to drop the extra $500 or so on a MacBook Pro), or an iMac. Does anybody know of significant operating differences. Namely, the problem with my Vaio is that the CPU gets too hot real quick and stutters playback after awhile. I need to avoid this because it totally interrupts the composing process! Does the MacBook have this problem?

2) Expectations. I generally run sessions with 8-10 stereo audio tracks. 5 or 6 of those will have an Equim EQ (VST wrapped) on them and maybe one or two will have a delay or compressor on them. I then (ideally) would like to be able to run at least one Absynth instrument, on Battery instrument, and possibly rewire to Ableton Live. This is the sort of thing my Vaio can handle for the first 15 minutes after powering on - but as I said - starts crashing soon after. Anybody have a good feel for whether this is a reasonable amount of processing for either the MacBook or the iMac to handle...consistently and for hours on end???

Thanks so much for the feedback...
Old 12-26-2006, 08:16 PM

Default Re: Which Mac - MacBook or iMac?

Dood... Drop the extra $$$ on the Pro. You will NOT regret it. It is one amazing machine, but specifically, it not only has the horsepower you need, but the screen-size as well. You're gonna go crazy squinting at a 'lil macbook screen, so I say go 17" That's what I got and I regret nothing.
Old 12-26-2006, 10:33 PM

Default Re: Which Mac - MacBook or iMac?

Its simple to plug a MacBook Mini DVI to DVI into a 42" HD LCD screen so why waste money on a little 17" screen. Personally I think the 17" laptop is a lunker to carry around and had one for 3 years. It also eats up battery very fast (less than 2 hours on my Powerbook) and I like having a laptop where the battery lasts for more than 4 hours. Unless you plan to hook up the MacBook Pro to the 30" Apple Display I think it is overkill.

Allen