Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2023, 07:34 AM

Default Re: Always having to force quit Pro Tools

Same Problem here.
MBP M1 Max OSX 12.4
PT 2022.12
Old 02-17-2023, 08:10 AM

In an effort to try and nail down a cause, is there one common behavior that anyone is experiencing when needing to force quit?

A. After computer goes to sleep?
B. After displays go to screen saver?
C. After screens go to sleep?
D. Other.

Any input is appreciated.
Old 02-17-2023, 09:04 AM

I have just started seeing this happen on a MBP Max M1, MacOS 12.6.3, PT 2022.12. It is to new to my set-up to see any common behavior with why I am needing to force quit PT.
Old 02-17-2023, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
In an effort to try and nail down a cause, is there one common behavior that anyone is experiencing when needing to force quit?

A. After computer goes to sleep?
B. After displays go to screen saver?
C. After screens go to sleep?
D. Other.

Any input is appreciated.

Nothing sleeps here. Not going to screensaver. Computer on and active until shutting PT down, then PT hangs. Like I said, haven't gotten into troubleshooting yet as it's not a critical problem, but definitely nothing to do with any sleep or screensaver activity here.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 02-17-2023, 10:48 AM

I'm having to force quit so many times, at least once an hour due to spinning wheel of death that never resolves. Sometimes it seems to be induced by changing trying to change the output of a track, other times, it's right after pressing stop when recording audio. Other times, it just happens unexplainably. And it is driving me absolutely insane. I'm beginning to thing that templates using routing folders might be a possible culprit, but I haven't been able to confirm that yet. I am also suspecting elastic audio, but can't confirm that either.

Maco OS 12.4, M1 Ultra, PT 2022.12.
Old 02-17-2023, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
I'm having to force quit so many times, at least once an hour due to spinning wheel of death that never resolves. Sometimes it seems to be induced by changing trying to change the output of a track, other times, it's right after pressing stop when recording audio. Other times, it just happens unexplainably. And it is driving me absolutely insane. I'm beginning to thing that templates using routing folders might be a possible culprit, but I haven't been able to confirm that yet. I am also suspecting elastic audio, but can't confirm that either.

Maco OS 12.4, M1 Ultra, PT 2022.12.
I'm sorry for your troubles, but you should really start a separate thread. This is specifically about PT going into 'not responding' on quit but not having other issues.
Old 02-17-2023, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
I'm sorry for your troubles, but you should really start a separate thread. This is specifically about PT going into 'not responding' on quit but not having other issues.
you're right, my bad. I did indeed start another thread, but received no responses, but perhaps wrongfully assumed these may be related.
Old 02-17-2023, 12:09 PM

Same problem here although it's a bit of a creeper so I didn't notice for a while.
But yes if PT been open for a while, then it crashes on exit and I have to force quit. 2022.12, Monterey, M1 MacBook Pro.

I have a fear it may have corrupted a session that wasn't saved as well. So when I came back to PT to exit, probably at the end of a night, it asked if I would like to save the session. The resulting file may have been corrupted by this, an attempted save followed by a not responding freeze. I can't be certain though. Luckily I had backups on the same day at around 3pm, but the newest file at 10pm, and all of the backup session files between 6pm ish and 10pm were also corrupt (when I had left PT open in the background probably). Files had propagated through my NAS already and when opened, you get the classic "This file was made in a newer version of Pro Tools" error. My Arq backup has versioning though so I could go back and perhaps get the file there too. However, this is a total one off and may well be unrelated. I thought it is worth a mention in case it happens again!

Hackintosh: MacOS Catalina, i7 6700k, 32GB RAM, RX580
Pro Tools Studio, RME RayDAT PCIe
http://www.liamgaughan.com
Old 02-18-2023, 08:47 AM

Interesting to see so many having the same issue. The only pattern I notice is that using pro tools for a short period of time is fine. Using it for an hour or more pretty consistently means I’ll need to force quit when I’m done working. Totally stable operation otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-18-2023, 08:50 AM

Also, my computer never goes to sleep or into screen saver mode. So there’s no correlation there on my system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk