Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2004, 05:58 PM

Default (-9073) = Please Help, about to give up

Dae can’t get audio from the drive(s) fast enough. Your drive may be too slow or fragmented, or a firewire drive could be having trouble due to the extra firewire bandwidth or cpu load

This is what happens, when I open a session it plays for about 10 seconds, then this horrible error pops up.

I have't hooked up my system in about 3-6 months, yesterday when I did I started running into all kind of problems.

Service pack 2 seems to have been the cause of all this, well I downloaded the updates for 6.4 & for the plugins, which now my system does'nt crash when I open up pro tools.

The problem is now I can't play back anything without this error coming up (-9073), prior to this Pro Tools always worked fine & I never had any problems.

I have no idea what is going on or what to do, please understand that the only changes that have been done to my system is service pack 2, everything in my system is the same, o I would assume Pro Tools should be working like it used to.

PLEASE HELP
Old 12-04-2004, 06:13 PM

Default Re: (-9073) = Please Help, about to give up

I guess it is the SP2 firewire deceleration that MS gave you for free. Go to this website and implement the RME workaround. Essentially what you are doing is replacing the SP2 firewire drivers with SP1 drivers. I did this fix to my machine since SP2 came included, but I did it before I received my 002R, but I have to assume it works because things appear to be working well for the moment.

It is actually less complicated than the instruction set suggests.

Hope this helps.

http://www.rme-audio.com/english/techinfo/fw800sp2.htm
AMD Radeon HD 6570
2 WDC WD10EURX-63FH1Y0
www.soundchasm.com
Old 12-04-2004, 07:40 PM

No!!! Do NOT do the RME fix. You have already fixed the SP2 BSOD issue by updating to 6.4cs9, if I understand your post. The RME fix is redundant and frankly (from my experience) is causes real problems if you also get cs9.

Although I'm getting a different couple of error codes, it's the same thing. Ever since SP2 I can't play or record for more than 10 or 15 seconds without an error popping up and stopping it. I removed SP2--no help. I did a fresh install of everything--no help.

I do agree that it seems logical to assume the SP2 firewall is somehow responsible, yet disabling this portion of SP2 does nothing to help.

More and more people seem to be having this problem, yet not enough to cause anyone to look for a cure. It must be some combination of SP2 and another piece of hardware or chipset or software that we few have that brings us the woe and spares the others.

ADA-8000
Old 12-05-2004, 12:38 AM

Quote:
No!!! Do NOT do the RME fix. You have already fixed the SP2 BSOD issue by updating to 6.4cs9, if I understand your post. The RME fix is redundant and frankly (from my experience) is causes real problems if you also get cs9.
TelePC, I have 6.4 cs9 and SP2 and the RME fix. I thought his symptoms appeared to be FW related, and I was never sure that cs9 truly addresses the FW speed issue. And SP2 actually causes at least two other distinct BSODs for PTLE. One is for Data Execution Protection (execute non-executable memory) and the other is the IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, both identifiable by the exception code, both with unique solutions. Folks need to google that 0x0000000a (or whatever it is) and see what comes back. The FW problem is that SP2 forces FW speed down to too slow - not necesarily a BSOD(?).

I'd say that if his 1394bus.sys and ohci1394.sys are not dated circa 9/2002 (his files are newer), he'd be a candidate for the RME fix. But you're right, caution is always in order, but my point is that each BSOD gives plenty of clues as to its cause, and I see the wrong fix offered for the problem because it fit a general category of BSOD. But Tears is not reporting a BSOD...

I suppose he can try rolling back SP2 to see if that fixes it.

I solved another of my BSODs by setting my BIOS back to default. I had changed an AGP card from 8x to 4x thinking it might compete less for resources, but it caused BSOD. Set it back to 8x default, and no crashes since!!

AMD Radeon HD 6570
2 WDC WD10EURX-63FH1Y0
www.soundchasm.com
Old 12-05-2004, 08:11 AM

Thanks for the help everyone, but honestly I have no idea on how to do what was stated.

I need an easier step by step on how to make my fire wire status revert back to service pack 1, while leaving my system at 2.

If not I'm just going to uninstall service pack2 & just go back to 1.

HOnestly I think my computer will no longer receive ANY Microsoft updates as all it does is mess up a system that was running fine before.

Should I just revert back to service pack 1, what will I lose from 2 & how would it effect my system?

Thank you
Old 12-05-2004, 09:17 AM

Tears, mostly you'll lose the "enhanced" internet protections--IE is a lot safer and of course the much ballyhooed Firewall.

Greg--I understand now, but must reiterate my point. I originally did the RME fix and it fixed my BSOD problem, but my slowdowns happened within two weeks of that. I then upgraded to cs9 so I had both, and it only got worse with the slowdowns and error codes, not better.

And again I must reiterate the main point of my post (sorry for the caps) I DID ROLL BACK TO SP1 AND IT DID NOTHING TO HELP.

Why? I'm not sure. I can tell you this, rolling back to SP1 doesn't change several things SP2 changed. Such as... look in your task manager. See "wdfmgr.exe"? That came in with SP2, and yet remained after I rolled back to SP1. I am told this is because wdfmgr is Microsoft's "wave of the future" for driver handling, and also comes into your computer if you have upgraded to or past Windows Media Player 9.0.

In my case, upgrading to SP2 also left me with what seems to be WMP 10, and when I rolled back, it stayed.

I wish I could say that it's my culprit, but so far it isn't. It's just an example of how rolling back to SP1 does NOT actually take you back to the pre-install restore point. Thanks Microsoft.
ADA-8000
Old 12-05-2004, 12:40 PM

UNfortunately it seems like if I uninstall service pack 2, my system is more open to viruses & spyware.

Also I will no longer be able to update my system, because witout service pack 2 other required services will not be availble witout service pact two.

Digidesign please make Pro Tools compatible with service pack two, I have spent ALOT of money & currently I cannot use my system @ all.All of the fixes for known service pack two errors do not help one bit.

This is a damn shame what digidesign is doing to Pro Tools users, yes I understand that service pack 2 is nt yet fully qualified , but what are PC users supposed to do?

Service pack 2 is a REQUIRED update by Microsoft, Digi please get off of your asses & make a fix for this

, peace
Old 12-05-2004, 03:20 PM

Hi I am having the exact same problem with my MBOX.

Ill start from the beggining.

Right I bought my mbox about 6months ago, all was going great with my machine (1800xp athlon, soltex motherboard, 1024 ddr ram 1 x 60 2mb cache maxtor, 64mb gefore card)

Then My machine died, just down to a lot of use and getting old.

So I then invested in an AMD 64 3400, ASUS KV8 SE Board, via chipset, 2 x 160 8mb cache maxtor drives, 128mb geforce card.

Now this same blasted message has started appearing and means I cant do anything with my mbox.

At first i released it was due to the version of xp i was running (sp2) so i reinstalled taking that off and loaded PT LE 6.1 which helped for about 2 mins then the error came back up.

Ive tried version 6.4 and all latest drivers, still no joy.

There is no way my drives are too slow, if my old system worked why won;t this which should out perform most.

Ive also made sure the IDE setting are on DMA and not PIO.

Ive spoken to tech support who really dont kno what to do, they suggest running xp in diagnoistic mode everytime i want to use PT.
wHICH IS JUST RIDICULOUS.

Does anyone have the answers, the mbox is 2 steps from becoming a paper weight.

Definately keep away from SP2 dodgy dodgy dodgy.

Please please please help

there is a reward
Old 12-05-2004, 09:17 PM

TelePC,
Man I hear ya! I hate computers and I really hate being forced into a novice expert position just to record and playback. Some of my other research revealed that SP2 firewire broke a ton of other companies products, including digital cameras and videos and Euphonix consoles.

And I've read some rants that SP2 security still easily accomodates a double-wide sized intruder, but I have no idea. Locks keep out honest people. Good net habits are still the best insurance.

It's not hard to believe that rolling back SP2 did NOT change the system back to the SP1 state. It may be possible to download SP1 and install, and go through confirmation of "the file you are trying to copy is older than the current file, do you want to continue?" and saying YES to put all the old files back.

I'm also astonished that SP2 is cleared for takeoff. I wish I could remember what cs9 promised to do for firewire, but I want to remember it did nothing. At least the postings indicated it was 50/50.

I also wish I had read an additional 100 internet postings before installing WinXP APIC. WinXP chose to put firewire and video ON THE SAME INTERUPT (on my PC) when there are about six unused ones, and that cannot be changed. I think that a WinXP PIC install gets you the standard 16 interupts, but you might still have a chance at choosing the distribution.

It seems the new standard for releasing stuff is that there is a chance it will work out there in the wild...

Tears,
Find some 12 year old geek and show him/her the instructions. (S)He'll have it done in five minutes. If you can find the four old files referenced...
AMD Radeon HD 6570
2 WDC WD10EURX-63FH1Y0
www.soundchasm.com
Old 12-06-2004, 12:38 PM

Greg--I did discover one thing last night. When I rolled back to SP1, for some reason (maybe because of the RME fix???) it saved all the drivers from SP2 for the 1394--and more specifically, it saved the 1394.inf file from SP2, which upon rolling back to SP1 for some reason reinstalled the SP2 drivers only for the fw port. Weird. I also realized that perhaps I should have taken the RME fix a step further and replaced the PCMCIA drivers (for my Fireconnect card troubles) with their SP1 counterparts.

So... last night I did a complete removal of SP2, which included the "add/remove" part as well as later going back through and physically removing the SP2 components left on my machine, including wdfmgr.exe and the "Windows Media Runtime" components.

FWIW, I also removed my Line6 POD drivers and software, which I coincidentally installed the same day my system did the SP2 update. Don't know if they're part of the problem, but hey.

Today after work I'm going home to reinstall PT 6.1 and see what happens. I'll let you know.

pc
ADA-8000