Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 11-14-2012, 07:33 AM

Default Izotope Insight

Been testing it out for a few hours and seems right on the money compared to my Dolby Media Meter V1. I like being able to have the multitude of different metering options within the same window, particularly the history graph and large meter displays. It does however seem to add about 4 to 5 percentage points to my native processing usage.

Any other thoughts?
Old 11-14-2012, 07:19 PM

Default Re: Izotope Insight

I'm demoing Insight and VisLM beside each other right now.
Insight has a great feature set, and it looks very nice indeed...I see what you say about the processor usage Jeff, It shows 4-5% at max buffer, but if I drop to a 64 buffer it adds nearly 30%, and if I have the plugin window visible it throws 9171 errors!
Would anyone need a LUFS meter at a low buffer? Probably not, but it would be cool to use the other features of insight while you track though.
VisLM uses about 1% CPU regardless of buffer, but gives you far less information. Graphically it lacks the sexiness of insight, but the info is there. Personally I would have like to have seen the Peak and Loudness meters beside each other on one window.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:04 AM

Well, the only thing that is missing is there is no way to measure the dialog Norm.

Its seems basically that you can set if for LUFS or change it to K weighting be the measurement is for the total program loudness.

I know the spec may change and it will end up with program loudness, but the pay channels don't have to follow the CALM Act. Some don't even ask for LKFS anything. Just +18 peak max.

They still want dialog norms and even if not, its nice to know where you dialog is sitting if you are use to the standard.

The metering is pretty stellar though. Great for looking for those rogue peaks in loud sections.
Got a kick back because of a small water splash in a sink. Character was washing dishes, but DMM stated the true peak was -2.

So I tested DMM 2 and Insight.

Set to K-Meter 20, Insight listed -22, which is program loudness.
DMM 2.1.7, the newer version does BS 1770-2. read -22 Infinite All, -24 Dialog Infinite and True Peak -2

Under BS 1770 - 2 through Insight, on K-Metering it registered -20.5

So there is a 1.5 dB difference in the loudness scale which I've read can be around 1 to 2 dB. Not sure how that is going to effect future mixes.

The ability to adjust the metering, and weighting is great, but the lack of a dialog norm over time/short time is disappointing.

I also would have liked to see a peak history that could show you where your peaks were at since it does measure time since Insight keeps a timeline.

I doesn't crash PT like DDM2 does, or did. But having a true peak readout panel and dialog infinite would have made the plugin a step more.
I can do without the spectrum or spectrogram though I'm sure they might come in handy from time to time.

Seems to work for what it does if you don't need anything else.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:56 AM

Speaking of DMM, does anyone get -9159 errors with that plug open? It happens when I open a session, and eventually settles down, weirdly enough.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:57 AM

Does it work as a stand-alone app? Would be something to put on a dedicated macmini. But is it a plugin only or does it have a stand-alone version like RX or other measuring tools?
I must say from looking at the feature set it looks very nice. Especially the sonogram-view that I miss so much from Inspector XL. I find regular spectrum-analysers pretty useless to find HMI buzz etc.

Thanks,

Frank.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:14 AM

No there is no standalone app.

You can run it in realtime through an insert or run it as an AS which will run through the program faster than realtime.

The sonogram view is cool. You can view it in a multitude of ways.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:51 AM

There is both bs 1770-1/2 in insight. DMm is bs 1770-1 in the version I have.

From what someone else said here, Europe is using Lufs while the ntas is still using Lkfs as the standard.

What that means in terms of using 1770 1or 2 I don't know.

Insight metering is just a difference in how the meters display values. Peak/rms is Dbfs
Old 11-21-2012, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdarbyshirebryant View Post
As of now (or from BS1770-2 & 3) LKFS & LUFS are the same thing. It used to be that in BS1770-1 (pre-gate) then Loudness (L) with K weighting filter (K) relative to digital full scale FS was different from EBU's LUFS courtesy the relative gate. EBU's LUFS implicitly uses the K weighting filter 'cos it's part of BS1770 (whichever version!) so they decided to call it 'Loudness Units' ala 'Volume Unit's and they had the relative gate.

Now with the latest BS1770-2/3 'LKFS' *is* gated so it's the same as LUFS.

For the moment, you should be using a BS1770-1 based meter (which is implicitly an ungated measurement)
Thanks.

So this was my question on another thread, with CALM coming shortly, no specs were given to anyone I know.

As currently, -24 LKFS +/- 2 is the standard, 1770 -1, what is the calm spec for the US?

Is it still -24 +/-2 but 1770-2? When I run my mixes at 1770-2, they are usually 1.5 LU's more than with 1770-1.

So if the magic number is -24, then I need to turn the mix down and the room up.

Luckily, my series is on a pay channel, so they don't have to follow the CALM act as far as I know.

But if I jump on another series that is, I'd like to start getting my references correct.

thanks
Old 11-22-2012, 05:10 PM
Quiet Art Ltd.

Just a heads up. If you're running the trial version, don't close the session with it active. On relaunch of the session the authorization window will put PT into an unrecoverable state.
Had to force quit, had a kernel panic, and restart and rebuild session by importing tracks. I guess this would make me buy it quicker.

WaveRider + Defaulter (now with LKFS)
QuietArt.co.nz

Catchin' SYNC app
Old 12-05-2013, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexaudio View Post

As currently, -24 LKFS +/- 2 is the standard, 1770 -1, what is the calm spec for the US?
This link will always give you the current "active" version of BS-1770 (which is 1770-3).

http://www.itu.int/rec/R-REC-BS.1770/en

-Stone