Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 01-05-2022, 09:34 AM

Default MIDI Node: Limitless MIDI In 1

I suspect that I am missing something simple here, but I cannot find anything about this other than the bit about MIDI into plugins in the 2019.5 Avid Plugin guide. I have LIMITLESS on a master insert and no audio is reaching it (I tried on individual channels as well and same issue persists). At the top of the plug window, above the DMG logo (so I am assuming this info comes from Pro Tools) it says: "MIDI Node: Limitless MIDI In 1"

I have tried everything I can think of and have searched for a solution. Perhaps someone can school me here?

iMac Pro running Catalina, Pro Tools 2021.12, Limitless v1.14
Midi Thru enabled/disabled doesn't cure
I have removed "Learn" CC stuff (how do I/can I see a list of these?)

thanks for any help here. very appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2022-01-05 at 11.38.50 AM.png (56.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-05-2022, 12:13 PM

Default Re: MIDI Node: Limitless MIDI In 1

The message is simply telling you that if you want to send a MIDI signal to it, that's how it will appear in the list of MIDI destinations. Presumably, one or more of Limitless's parameters can be controlled with CC data or the like. Either that, or it can distribute MIDI data to other destinations. Is Limitless like Audreio, a plugin that passes audio to a network destination or something?

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 01-05-2022, 12:41 PM

Limitless is a limiter. Midi should have nothing to do with it passing audio.

My question to the OP: was this master bus passing audio before you put limitless on it?

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 01-06-2022, 05:08 AM

I have no idea if this pertains to your issue, but every now and then an audio track (I don't use midi) with a DMG plug (Equality) just won't pass audio. I delete the track and reinsert the plug and it works. Again, not sure this is your problem but sometimes this has happened to me.
Old 01-09-2022, 07:51 AM

So sorry, because I was so stupid.

I had been running the demo of Limitless and it expired, so it was no longer passing audio. I thought I had purchased it, however I had only purchased TrackLimit (was going to get both, but started with TrackLimit).

Yes, this was placed on the master buss, but also on tracks to try to figure it out.

Yes, you CAN pass MIDI to a plugin (From page 521 of PT Reference Guide v7.0):

"MIDI Node Display Shows MIDI node information for MIDI-enabled plug-ins. MIDI nodes are virtual connections from Pro Tools to software instruments and other MIDI-enabled plug-ins. MIDI nodes are useful for routing multiple MIDI tracks to different channels of a single virtual MIDI device. MIDI node numbers are also displayed in a track’s MIDI Output selector."

Thanks all for comments! Appreciated.