Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 06-18-2010, 12:07 AM

Default Mixing in ProTools LE using MBOX MINI 2

i am a entry level audio engineering student and we have been recording music at college into a pro tools system and for the final part of the project we each have to create our own mixdowns. so i purchased the mbox mini 2 because it was cheaper and also because i have no need to record live instruments at home (i'd use studios), so i didn't see the need to buy the bigger mbox plus i'm an unemployed student. so anyway, i bounced our track from class (has 9 channels) but now pro tools isn't letting me hear anymore than two channels. now, i know there's only two inputs but isn't completely restricting users from being able to mix anything with more than two tracks just a bit ridiculous and tedious? unless i'm doing something wrong. i'm no protools expert but i certainly fiddled around for hours trying to atleast be able to hear more than two channels (which were both only in one speaker each)

either i'm missing something really obvious or i've purchased this product despite being told it would be ideal. my assignment is due in 1 week as well. thanks, protools. so basically in order to SIMPLY mix more than 2 already recorded tracks i'd have to purchase some ridiculously expensive thing with many features i won't use at home
Old 06-18-2010, 12:25 AM

Default Re: Mixing in ProTools LE using MBOX MINI 2

Create a master track and select it from the bounce dialog box.
Old 06-18-2010, 01:05 AM

if it's not too much trouble, could you please guide me through that process
Old 06-18-2010, 02:43 AM

Just Google Pro Tools mixing and you will find tons of videos on the subject.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 06-18-2010, 02:55 AM

Ask your tutor.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexicondevil View Post
i am a entry level audio engineering student and we have been recording music at college into a pro tools system and for the final part of the project we each have to create our own mixdowns. so i purchased the mbox mini 2 because it was cheaper and also because i have no need to record live instruments at home (i'd use studios), so i didn't see the need to buy the bigger mbox plus i'm an unemployed student. so anyway, i bounced our track from class (has 9 channels) but now pro tools isn't letting me hear anymore than two channels. now, i know there's only two inputs but isn't completely restricting users from being able to mix anything with more than two tracks just a bit ridiculous and tedious? unless i'm doing something wrong. i'm no protools expert but i certainly fiddled around for hours trying to atleast be able to hear more than two channels (which were both only in one speaker each)

either i'm missing something really obvious or i've purchased this product despite being told it would be ideal. my assignment is due in 1 week as well. thanks, protools. so basically in order to SIMPLY mix more than 2 already recorded tracks i'd have to purchase some ridiculously expensive thing with many features i won't use at home
Havent used a mini but im sure it should work like any other piece of digi hardware

not sure why you are only hearing two..and why its left and right only!

When you import the audio...import them all at once and when it says open in region list or track...tick track... it should put them all onto seperate tracks for you.. make sure all the outputs for every track are set to analog 1-2 stereo

if you cant see where this is (if its not shown) then go to "view" on the menu at the top ...then edit window and make sure I/O is ticked and this will show where to change your outs

Hope that helps
Old 06-20-2010, 01:04 PM

"i bounced our track from class (has 9 channels)"

I'm assuming that Bounce created a mixed down stereo file. It's hard to hear 9 different channels that have been mixed down into a stereo file or Left and Right Mono files.

Just bring a copy of the original session home with you if you have the same plug-ins. That way any automation will also be there.

If there is no automation and no plug-ins on any of the tracks and you don't want to/aren't allowed to bring the a copy of the original session home, consolidate each of the 9 tracks from zero to past the last piece of audio, Export the resulting 9 files, bring them home and Import them into a new session, lining them up at zero.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction