Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 01-18-2022, 02:51 PM

Default Upgrading from PT10 to PT12

Hey everyone,

I've been using pro tools for the last 10 years and this is my first time posting here. I would appreciate some clarity on a question that I have regarding the cost of upgrading to Pro Tools 12. I have searched around on avid's website and forums and couldn't find a clear answer myself.

I just bought a new computer today and i'm planning on upgrading to Pro Tools 12. I am wondering if there is any sort of discount towards purchasing the perpetual license if I am a Pro Tools 10 license owner. I bought Pro Tools 10 about 9 years ago and although I understand their purchase model has changed significantly, it would be nice to know that I can at least get a better deal than buying it outright for $800 all over again.

Thanks a lot in advance for your help!
Old 01-18-2022, 03:19 PM

Default Re: Upgrading from PT10 to PT12

Hi, welcome to the community.

Sorry to say but you just missed Avid's "Get Current" promo which ended last year. Your best bet is to contact reseller and ask if they have surplus codes available.

The thing is, nowadays you just do not upgrade from version A to version B. You need to have active Support And Update Plan, which you don't have.
Old 01-18-2022, 03:37 PM

And why would you want to run Pro Tools 12 specifically? To run Pro Tools 12.5 or earlier? There has been a lot of enhancements and bug fixes to Pro Tools since then. I'd want to be on a recent (like 2021.12) release if my OS supported it.

Some retailers might still have the now expired promotional program licenses to sell. The program expired December 31st. I would call Vintage King (strongly recommend them) or Sweetwater and ask them. This is exactly what to ask for: https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/hom...until-31st-dec

Otherwise subscriptions are an option if you don't want to repurchase another perpetual license.

A good sales rep at a reseller can understand your needs and walk you through all options.
Old 01-18-2022, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
And why would you want to run Pro Tools 12 specifically? To run Pro Tools 12.5 or earlier? There has been a lot of enhancements and bug fixes to Pro Tools since then. I'd want to be on a recent (like 2021.12) release if my OS supported it.

Some retailers might still have the now expired promotional program licenses to sell. The program expired December 31st. I would call Vintage King (strongly recommend them) or Sweetwater and ask them. This is exactly what to ask for: https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/hom...until-31st-dec

Otherwise subscriptions are an option if you don't want to repurchase another perpetual license.

A good sales rep at a reseller can understand your needs and walk you through all options.
Thanks for the info. To be honest I said pro tools 12 because I thought that is the latest version. I’m not up to date on this as I’ve been happily running PT10 on a 2012 MacBook for years. I just got a brand new iMac running OS 12.1 Monterey so I imagine I will be compatible for the latest version.

I’ll be sure to call those companies to see if they any of the promotional licenses to sell.
Old 01-18-2022, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlegault View Post
Thanks for the info. To be honest I said pro tools 12 because I thought that is the latest version. I’m not up to date on this as I’ve been happily running PT10 on a 2012 MacBook for years. I just got a brand new iMac running OS 12.1 Monterey so I imagine I will be compatible for the latest version.

I’ll be sure to call those companies to see if they any of the promotional licenses to sell.
Pro Tools 12 is old, it lead to 2018.x, 2019.x, 2020.x, 2021.x, ...with several releases per year. Major improvements in plugin processing in a 2018 release etc.

Actually Monterey is currently *not* fully compatible with any version of Pro Tools.

If this was mine I'd be downgrading it to Big Sur before doing anything else. Your iMac can be downgraded to Big Sur (most recent MacBook Pros cannot).

There are issues on Monterey with the Avid Complete Plugin bundle (now included in Pro Tools update programs and subscriptions ).

You need to get familiar with this: https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...tibility-Chart

And be reading the info on DUC about Mac compatibility, including the whole Apple silicon Mac situation.

Even on Big Sur you also need to pay attention to third party apps and plugin compatibility.

When Avid releases Apple Silicon version of Pro Tools you will need all new Apple silicon versions of your third party plugins, so plan for that.

What interface are you going to use? Unless it's class compliant (most are not) you need a driver from the vendor that supports Apple silicon and is compatible with the macOS you are running. You cannot install any driver developed for a Intel based Mac.
Old 01-18-2022, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Pro Tools 12 is old, it lead to 2018.x, 2019.x, 2020.x, 2021.x, ...with several releases per year. Major improvements in plugin processing in a 2018 release etc.

Actually Monterey is currently *not* fully compatible with any version of Pro Tools.

If this was mine I'd be downgrading it to Big Sur before doing anything else. Your iMac can be downgraded to Big Sur (most recent MacBook Pros cannot).

There are issues on Monterey with the Avid Complete Plugin bundle (now included in Pro Tools update programs and subscriptions ).

You need to get familiar with this: https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...tibility-Chart

And be reading the info on DUC about Mac compatibility, including the whole Apple silicon Mac situation.

Even on Big Sur you also need to pay attention to third party apps and plugin compatibility.

When Avid releases Apple Silicon version of Pro Tools you will need all new Apple silicon versions of your third party plugins, so plan for that.

What interface are you going to use? Unless it's class compliant (most are not) you need a driver from the vendor that supports Apple silicon and is compatible with the macOS you are running. You cannot install any driver developed for a Intel based Mac.
Ah this is very good to know. I will definitely downgrade to Big Sur before buying pro tools.

I also just called Sweetwater and another studio owner friend and learned that there is no way for me to get any discount off of the perpetual license after owning pro tools previously. I guess I'll be buying the license!

How long does avid usually take to make a PT version that is compatible with a new OS?

All of this info on compatibility is definitely very good to know and will be considered.

I'm using a UA Apollo x4 interface and my Mac is not an M1, it is Intel i9 processor.

Thanks a lot!
Old 01-18-2022, 10:42 PM

FYI this is an option if you really want a perpetual license and ongoing update plan and can't get a reinstatement: https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=417778

The other option is just get a subscription and see if Avid comes back with another update promotion in future (no guarantee that will happen however).
Old 01-20-2022, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlegault View Post
...just called Sweetwater and another studio owner friend and learned that there is no way for me to get any discount off of the perpetual license after owning pro tools previously...
Seems odd that Sweetwater wouldn't know about this product on their site.