Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2021, 05:48 PM

Default MDrummer has no sound

So with a little playing around I have gotten more familiar with recording with protools, but I cannot figure out MDrummer. I cannot get any sound out of it. It played a few drumsets for me a few days ago but I haven't been able to get it to do it again. I have a subscription for it and the latest version is installed. I also read the manual and couldn't find anything I was doing wrong. Has anyone ever experienced this?
Old 01-10-2022, 11:15 AM

Default Re: MDrummer has no sound

I assume you are using MDrummer as an insert on an instrument track in Pro Tools. Is this correct?

If so, when you trigger a sound in MDrummer, do you see the track meters move in Pro Tools?

Make sure you have the track assigned to your audio interface outputs where you have your headphones/speakers connected and that your audio interface is indeed selected in the Playback Engine.

Also make sure the MDrummer plugin is seeing the packs you installed along with the plug-in.

If you are still having trouble, please post more information about how you are using MDrummer and how you have your Pro Tools session set up.

System Details
Old 01-10-2022, 11:23 AM

Default Re: MDrummer has no sound

The thing that trips up many new users here is the Instrument track Will mentioned, not audio, not MIDI, make sure you are creating an instrument track. Just want to be super clear on that since some folks think “instrument track” refers to any track folks are trying to use with a VI.

Is pre-recorded audio track content working from this session when you cannot hear the drum VI?

If you are totally new to VIs (virtual instruments) in Pro Tools it might also help to just play with a really simple VI like Mini Grand, probably the simplest VI included with Pro Tools. Just see if you can get sound out with that.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 01-10-2022 at 11:37 AM.