Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 05-26-2019, 08:21 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools vs Reaper

Oh well, looks like I was wrong. I imported several into Reaper so it can handle more than one. Awesome.
Old 06-19-2019, 03:54 PM

I've just joined this forum to see how protools has progressed since last using it over 10 years, ago and am thinking of going back as a "delivery software" to send to any PT editors, for TV, Commercials and Film

I jumped to Reaper too, and love it although if we are honest, it does so many things, 10 times over that its a bit of a cluster**** even after spending days on actions and macros customizing it.

My only jump in to this great thread, is that if a lot of you are jumping from Pro tools to Reaper, how do you deliver to people who are working down the line and want PT sessions?

I would like to use Reaper as its quicker and faster, but most Television industry, have no clue what Reaper is. Would I still need PT as an 'end of line' compiler to send out finished cues?
Or do composers/sound designers actually use Reaper and get compatibility with PT?

Just a genuine question before I jump into the Avid waters
Old 07-08-2019, 11:52 AM

It's been 6 months since I switched over to Reaper (from HD Accel with PT10 and HD NATIVE with 12.6).
I'm mostly mixing, occasionally I'll do a mastering session and sometimes some voice recording. I can't even come up with a single feature or a task that I would miss in Reaper. I do everything much faster now. I noticed I'm able to take more projects, I finish them quicker and with better results. As I'm typing this message Reaper is printing today's mix revisions thanks to its "render queue". 10 songs automatically exported one after another in one go. The automation engine is fantastic - you get all snapshot automation features but better implemented than in PT. Moving settings between channels and between sessions is super flexible and easy. Routing thanks to its folder structure is amazingly powerful and quick to set up. Ability to run the mix engine in 96KHz with 44.1KHz files in real time is a nice addition.
Mac Mini i7 2018,
Reaper DAW,
Presonus Faderport,
Arturia Beastep for DAW control,
Former Pro Tools HD user (from V7 until V12.6).

Last edited by jacko; 07-09-2019 at 06:07 AM.
Old 07-09-2019, 03:19 AM

@jacko Do you miss Audiosuite?
Old 07-09-2019, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougdi View Post
@jacko Do you miss Audiosuite?
Not at all. You can insert plugins on "items" (Pro Tools "clips") and render them in place as a new take, which replicates Audiosuite and gives you more flexibility.

Melodyne, Vocalign and Revoice have ARA2 support which speeds up things too.
Mac Mini i7 2018,
Reaper DAW,
Presonus Faderport,
Old 07-09-2019, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
I've used Reaper. For me the work I'd have to put on the migration to another DAW does not justify the benefits (put on top that there are always disadvantages too). Maybe for someone who's starting it doesn't matter as much but I've been using PT for over 10 years.
I love Cakewalk and even though many of the basic key commands are as close as replacing ctrl for alt and things like that it takes me hours to do what in PT I can do with my eyes closed in minutes.

I have to agree with Andrei here. I have PT, Reaper and Reason. But I mainly use Reason for its rack instruments, not as a DAW, and Reaper I used mainly to host VSTs that didn't have AAX versions. Until Blue Cat Audio's Patchwork came along. Now, I barely open Reaper.

Having invested well over 12 years into PT, starting with PT 6.8, I see no advantage to going into a steep learning curve with some other DAW, even one as intuitive as Reaper. If I need Reaper for some special case, it sits nicely via Rewire with PT.

Now, for someone just starting out, Reaper is a good alternative to PT, but so are several other DAWs. However, there is a reason why PT remains the DAW of choice for most pro studios and applications.

Old 07-09-2019, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
I have to agree with Andrei here. I have PT, Reaper and Reason. But I mainly use Reason for its rack instruments, not as a DAW, and Reaper I used mainly to host VSTs that didn't have AAX versions. Until Blue Cat Audio's Patchwork came along. Now, I barely open Reaper.

Having invested well over 12 years into PT, starting with PT 6.8, I see no advantage to going into a steep learning curve with some other DAW, even one as intuitive as Reaper. If I need Reaper for some special case, it sits nicely via Rewire with PT.

Now, for someone just starting out, Reaper is a good alternative to PT, but so are several other DAWs. However, there is a reason why PT remains the DAW of choice for most pro studios and applications.
I agree completely. My other daw is Digital Performer 9.02 (yeah I know there's a DP10) and the learning curve wasn't all that easy. Take for instance where PT has true instrument tracks that host vi's and MIDI DP's instrument tacks only host the vi. You still have to go old school and use separate MIDI and vi host tracks. And that's only one massive difference. Also you can't move blocks of MIDI around like you can in PT.

Yeah I have Reason but I too only use it for the vi's it has. Thor can do some things other synths only dream of.

In short if you want to work with other studios stay with PT.

QAPLA!
Old 07-09-2019, 04:26 PM

...however I'm not giving Avid more money for the moment. I'll just sit and enjoy the year of support they owe me now and keep the last few installers just in case they break something again. 2019.5/6 is working good enough for me.
Old 07-09-2019, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post

I wouldn't call Reaper intuitive. I think you need to dig down a bit deeper inside its logic ( ) to actually recognise the benefits of using it over Pro Tools.
It took me around 4 years of occasional Reaper use, scratching the surface really, to actually sit down for a week and to learn the new DAW. I spent a couple of hours each day to discover things that were important for me in January this year - moving settings between channels and sessions, snapshot automation and automation engine in general, and to recognise the power of the biggest timesaver in all DAWs: Render Queue.

And I have invested 13 years of my life working in Pro Tools HD exclusively. I convinced dozens of studios to purchase a Pro Tools system, because... well, I thought there was a reason most professionals use Pro Tools. To me it was an amazing discovery to learn that there is a tool that makes me much faster. And I am ******n great in Pro Tools skills. After 6 months of not using Pro Tools people still call me with PT related questions and I still blow their minds how quickly I always find a solution.

After 6 months I managed to take and finish more work, so I actually could purchase... an HDX system with the additional money I earned thanks to using Reaper.

Of course my experience don't have to be the same for other people, but there's a reason why so many engineers have similar feelings after switching from Pro Tools to Reaper.
Mac Mini i7 2018,
Reaper DAW,
Presonus Faderport,
Old 07-10-2019, 10:50 AM

Whoa, tons of replies. Thanks. There're several reasons reasons why I wanna ditch PT for Reaper. I lapsed on renewing my annual update license and they penalized me hard; it went from 150 to 300. Also, like I mentioned in the OP, some plugins run way slower and eats up CPU.I'm stuck at 12.4.

My friend just recently got Reaper and loves it. I forget what he switched from, maybe cakewalk.

The only pain the ass will be having to re-download all my plugs to. I don't think the learning curve wll be ths bad for me cuz I really don't use any of the advanced options.