Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)

Old 08-03-2006, 01:32 PM

Default H/W buffersize problem

I've a problem running pro tools m-powered.

I can't change my h/w buffer size.

It's at 512 and clicking on it doesn't give me any other options.
I can change it in the m-audio application, but

a) i have to close PT (it doesn't work when pt is running)

b) Changing it has no effect in PT the lattency stays and "feels" at 512 whatever i do.

I have even (not only because of this) reinstalled windows and installed only PT. nothing else.
The problem remains though.....
BTW, i thought that you could set your processor limit to 95%? I can only
go upto 85%.

I have the same problems on my laptop aswell... So i'm guessing it's a
M-Audio driver problem?

Any help would be much appreciated!

I'm running PT 7.1cs9 (it also happend with 7.1 or 7.1cs7) with a M-Audio Fast Track Pro.

gr,
Marc
Old 08-03-2006, 08:07 PM

Default Re: H/W buffersize problem

Outside of Pro Tools, what buffer setting do you have the fast track set to? I know on the Transit USB interface, you need to set the buffer setting with the M-Audio control panel on the taskbar before opening Pro Tools. It is not avaialable for change within PT (a real annoyance, if you ask me). I'm assuming it's the same with other M-Audio USB devices.

This is not the case with my Ozonic Firewire interface (or any of the other M-Audio firewire interfaces, if I'm not mistaken).

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 08-04-2006, 03:37 AM

Hi,

I can change it, in the m-audio app, but it doesn't feel like anything changed when i restart PT. Changing from 128 to 2048 should make a big differance in performance in PT, but the latency H/W buffersize stays at 512, whatever i do. And it also doesn't feel (playing keys, for instance) much different.

Is this really a usb problem? Could anyone else with a usb interface comment on this please....
The m-box is usb and works as it should (i think) so a M-Audio interface should work aswell if you ask me.

Could anyone also tell me if the 85% limit is normal? 95% i could live with (stability wise and all). 85% seems plain stupid.......i mean, why? will my pc crash and burn when it's running to the max?

gr,
Marc
Old 08-09-2006, 01:28 PM

85% is normal for singel CPU systems ( can't go higher ) and 95% for dual CPU systems...... Think I read it someware in the manual.
Old 09-29-2006, 05:22 AM

Although I've learned to work with it I'm still having this problem. I will buy the lightbridge when it is released (and "if" it is confirmed PT compatible ) "hoping" it won't have the same problems. But I'm still interested if other people have the same problems with the Fast Track Pro.

Because my (main) PC started having random reboots I had to troubleshoot and reinstall windows and PT several times. During this period, one time I got lucky. Because I got all the buffersize options in PT itself!!!! When i closed it though and restarted it the problem had returned. I couldn't select any other buffersize but 512 (meaning: the "list" only showed 512). Mind you, the only things installed were Windows, Drivers and PT.

So, Can anyone confirm the problem? Or a workaround? or I am I just unlucky.....

any help and/or insights would be greatly appreciated.

gr,
Marc