Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2022, 11:05 AM

Default Clicks and pops when adjusting the volume on MTRX Studio

Running a MTRX Studio and using my Artist Mix to control the speaker volume and input sources. Has been working fine no issues for months. Today out of nowhere I'm getting a ton of clicks and pops when I adjust the volume up or down. On all 3 sets of speakers as well. Also comes out of the headphone outputs, which bypasses the line outs. Closed DADman and turned off the Artist Mix and tried adjusting the speakers/headphones with the rotary knob on the MTRX and still getting the pops. So it seems like it's something within the MTRX that's acting up.

Any idea why this would happen out of thin air? It almost sounds like a scratchy pot/fader on an old console.

Last edited by MPizzaMusic; 02-09-2022 at 11:29 AM.
Old 02-09-2022, 01:21 PM

Default Re: Clicks and pops when adjusting the volume on MTRX Studio

Have you tried rebooting the unit through DADman?
Pro Tools Ult 2024.3.1, HDX 2, MTRX/SPQ, RME BBF Pro + MADIface Pro • S1 x 2, Fire Max11 x 2, Dock, iPad Air5 • Mac Mini 14,12, 12 core, macOS 13.6.6 • RAM 32GB, SSD 4TB, GPU 19 core • QNAP TVS-872XT 148TB TB3
Old 02-09-2022, 01:24 PM

I haven't, I'm not even aware how to do that to be honest.
Old 02-09-2022, 02:49 PM

In DADman, go to Settings>Device List (from the top menu bar)
In the middle section, your MTRX Studio will be listed. Right-click on it and you'll see "restart"

(obviously, don't have pro tools open when you do this)

Your main DADman screen will flash "unlocked" while it is rebooting and then go back to Locked (solid green) when the system is back up and ready to go.
Pro Tools Ult 2024.3.1, HDX 2, MTRX/SPQ, RME BBF Pro + MADIface Pro • S1 x 2, Fire Max11 x 2, Dock, iPad Air5 • Mac Mini 14,12, 12 core, macOS 13.6.6 • RAM 32GB, SSD 4TB, GPU 19 core • QNAP TVS-872XT 148TB TB3
Old 02-09-2022, 03:47 PM

Thanks for that information. I reset it and I'm still getting the pops, very confused.
Old 02-09-2022, 11:40 PM

Just thinking this through (though you may just have the bad luck of a now defective unit)....

For your monitor control, do you sum or switch for sources? If you have sum on, change it to switch (click the sum button and it will flip to the other). This is in case one of your sources is not clocking properly (like all your sources could be at 48k but one of them could not be syncing to the same 48k clock if you get what I mean.) By changing it to "switch" there's only one source piped to the outputs at a time.

I was going to ask how your monitors are connected but if the MTRX Studio's in-built headphones also show this problem. it's probably not that.

If you are using any of the EQ features (or global delay), disable all that and see if it goes away. (The EQ DSP is a separate process within the system)

You might want to also try just building the most basic monitor path from scratch and load that into DADman and see if you have problems still. (2 channels from Pro Tools (digilink inputs) going straight to your speakers through the Mon section; nothing else)

Final thought is the DA section of DADman. For the headphones or speakers, mouse that fader and see if it happens there too. The DA section controls in the analogue domain (IIRC) while the fader in the Mon section controls in the digital domain. If it doesn't happen from the DA section, it might narrow down what the issue is.
Old 02-10-2022, 09:51 AM

I switch sources, rarely sum for my workflow since I have the rough mix and main mix going to two separate sources. I noticed that now there's a noticeable pop when switching between sources. That wasn't there prior to this happening as well.

Have been using the EQ. Switched it off and still getting pops.

Currently I have 2 separate speaker setups in one. I have a full 7.2.4 rig going out of lines 1-13. I have a separate stereo setup feeding my Dangerous Monitor Controller via the Monitor outputs.

I'm hearing the pops in both.

To your final suggestion.. When I move the mouse on the DA fader I'm am hearing it still.

Last edited by MPizzaMusic; 02-10-2022 at 10:26 AM.
Old 02-10-2022, 10:38 AM

Can you set up a source that is 2 channels going into the AD side of the MTRX Studio, unplug everything else (no other digital sources hooked including digilink; clock set to internal in DADman and Sampling set to internal), and then route to your speakers using the Mon section?

Analogue source, analogue out (hopefully your speakers have analogue inputs) and nothing else. If it is still doing it, then looks like the unit needs to go for repair/replacement with Avid.

Also, what's the firmware of the unit? Not that it should be the problem if it was working fine but checking if it needs an update. (Open the Device List again, select your MTRX Studio and in the third box, copy the FW version line for the Main Board)
Old 02-10-2022, 11:33 AM
Avid

Feel free to PM me and we can try some other possibilities.

best,

Jeff
MTRX FAQ