Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2001, 04:18 AM

Default SAC-2K control surface & Pro Tools?

Is anybody using one, if so what is your setup and how does it work.
This is a sexy alternativefor portability, perhaps a Magma 7 slot, mix plus, 1 888,
Titanium computer of course.

Anybody experienced out there?

Old 04-16-2001, 02:43 PM

Default Re: SAC-2K control surface & Pro Tools?

There is a thread in the DUC about the SAC-2K. It didn't have many good things to say. Noisey, jerky faders etc. Use the search function for the past 10 days.

www.stephenshirk.com
www.pinknoise.com
Old 04-17-2001, 04:15 AM

Thanks pnoise I did some research and the thing looks sexyer than my need to buy one!
So I guess its true there is no better value than Control 24 or HUI.
Oh well I tried!

Old 04-20-2001, 03:36 PM

HUI is sexy and robust and stable and....
I love my Hui,I love my hui.Only wish there was an expansion option.
Old 04-21-2001, 01:32 PM

Have to agree about the Sac - I spent a couple of hours trying to demo one last week. And I'm sad to say I gave up. It had the latest firmware, I was using 5.1TDM and was sitting there with the manual.

I'm sorry to say as far as I could get (and the sales rep) the thing just does not work. The master fader didn't change anything, eventually we got the plug in selection working (not entirely the SACs fault - it didn't like a pro-control also being fitted) but once we'd selected one tracks plugins we couldn't for the life of us consistently move to another ones.

It's a tragic shame, it looks great, the build quality seems good and I LOVE that scrub wheel, but I reckon if it takes more than an hour to get a h/w controller working (which is meant to make things easier) it ain't worth it.

Other things that concerned me is the support seems patchy - in terms of email responses from Radikal. Also according to the shop (Media Tools in London) the USB implementation does not work - which puts me off as they say it should.

I then switched to a motormix and it worked great out of the box, not so nice to use in terms of ergonomics and look - but does what the manual says it can with no fuss.

Decided to learn keyboard shortcuts well and blow the money on plug-ins instead.

Cheers

Pete
Old 04-22-2001, 12:32 AM

love my hui too. three years solid service, one warranty repair, and still going strong. Only 8 faders aren't so bad. I mix films with 80 tracks. I get around OK. now with multichanel tracks in 5.1, it's like having 16 faders or more.

Love my hui. It just works.

www.tompaul.com