Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2010, 12:53 AM

Default Re: Digidesign Transformation

Maybe I'm in the minority, but actually the new site is better imo.
Much easier to find things, and much better organized. Of course there's room for improvement, but still, I like it.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:17 AM

It feels better. But not all sections are working

--

site: http://www.everythinglegit.com

Wah gwaan down deh..

System: Pro Tools LE, mbox 2, m-audio keyboard, HP DV7 laptop, Reaper 3 and alot of studios.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Toolbox View Post
* YAWN *

I just did my taxes, and I owe money... and that was more exciting.
Me to, is it exciting cause you start yelling and saying words that are reserved for this time of the year????? It is for my wife, I think she is entertained by it actually!!!

And it's the morning of the 12th.....am I supposed to be in the twilight zone or something ???

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 04-12-2010, 06:22 AM
Banned

My goodness!?!?!?

Dear Avid:

I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.
Bill Cosby
Old 04-12-2010, 06:22 AM

Quote:
"Hi Stonedef. I am sorry to hear that you feel ripped off by investing in Control 24 and want to know why. Feel free to email me directly about this. Pro Tools|HD, the original Control 24 and Pro Control are all supported by the most current software."

Tony,
Did you not really read the post? to be 'supported' i must abandon my existing PT hardware and computer and spend many thousands of dollars for no increased functionality, just a new card type, i wrote this originally
"Well i trusted you years ago and bought a system that cost me well over $20,000 when i invested in HD3 + C24 +software enabling me to do OMF and post production(i even bought the MP3 codec, NOBODY else charges to let you make MP3).
The result of that trust? Left behind with Avid saying that it hurts for them to do that! It's my income, not a hobby, and now you want me to trust you again blindly as you dissolve Digi into the AVID machine, who's to say we wont get left again three or four years from now? "

How can i not feel ripped off? If i spend the equivalent on other platforms i get MUCH more for the dollar than i do on Protools.
Please don't patronise me by asking for a PM when all you do is ask me to spend unreasonable amounts on an upgrade 'coz theres so many wonderful things coming' that you cant tell us about.

Last weekend i did a live broadcast and recorded the 40 channel multitrack using a competitors hardware and Sonar software. It rocked! and to get the 40ch split i needed 1 ethernet cable from the stagebox into the computer. To do that with protools id need 3 x 192 interfaces, Analog to optical convertors, clock cabling, D-sub to XLR tails, a larger car to carry it all and three hours to setup.

Im moving away from PT, they ask for too much money for a product which is desperately behind the times, and when you finally do realise that to even keep the lower end of the market happy (no disrespect to LE owners, i have three LE systems!) you need to solve the ADC issue, i'll keep PT as an LE system only and use other better software for everything else.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonedef View Post
Tony,

Im moving away from PT, they ask for too much money for a product which is desperately behind the times, and when you finally do realise that to even keep the lower end of the market happy (no disrespect to LE owners, i have three LE systems!) you need to solve the ADC issue, i'll keep PT as an LE system only and use other better software for everything else.
I must (sadly) agree.

Avid needs to listen. Unfortunately they are still trying to capitalize on the market that made them (big studios, network tv ec.). Can't blame them really.
In your example you would have spent $30K on Avid gear to do that live gig, when in fact you used a (guessing here) $5K setup. Thats $25K that would have gone to Avid and that is what they are still trying to sell.

I believe that if they don't listed they will eventually be left behind. Just like FCP is eating up their Media Composer market.

EDIT:
I also agree with your conclusion on sticking to LE. I made this choice a while back when setting up my studio and I couldn't be happier. Every time I'm called to freelance at a facility with HD I scratch my hear wondering why they paid so much for (almost) the exact same thing.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:17 AM

Hi,

This is probably old news to most of you, but anyway:

A moment ago I clicked Compatibility on the new Avid Digi frontpage.

The link takes you to a page with the topmost info dated December 17, 2008.

Further on down the page you can, among other things, read:

Quote:
Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) — Currently Not Qualified
Please Note: No version of Pro Tools is currently qualified with Mac OS X Snow Leopard. If you’re a Mac-based Pro Tools 8.0.x user, Pro Tools 8.0.3pr software is provided as a convenience should you wish to begin your transition to Snow Leopard before a fully tested and qualified version of Pro Tools becomes available:

Pro Tools Prerelease Now Available for Mac OS X Snow Leopard
Nowhere was I to find any useful, accurate and up-to-date info on compatibility.
And all my old links are now destroyed as they point back to the useless main Avid Digi page.

So, all the useful info that techs and admins have relied on is now gone.
Thank you.

-matts
Old 04-13-2010, 04:35 AM

It just strucked me.

The support library is gone.
The Knowledge Base is gone.
The Compatibility Grid is gone.

There's no real info to be found anywhere.

Great.

-matts

PS. If someone knows where to find any useful info on the new site, please post!
Old 04-13-2010, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts View Post
It just strucked me.

The support library is gone.
The Knowledge Base is gone.
The Compatibility Grid is gone.

There's no real info to be found anywhere.

Great.

-matts

PS. If someone knows where to find any useful info on the new site, please post!
CS UPDATES HERE http://www3.digidesign.com/index.cfm...23300&langid=1
I7 950
RAM 24Gb corsair 1600 (3 sticks)
9-9-9-24
MAC
MacBookPro i7 2,3 15"
RAM 16gb
PT 11.3
003 Rack
MBox 3 Pro
Old 04-13-2010, 01:57 PM

jeezuz...

Whatever suit decided to have the old Digidesign page rolled into Avid's needs to be fired, then placed in front of a firing squad for the entire staff to see as a deterrent against such idiotic decisions in the future.

The new site is god-awful. May the actually useful Digidesign site of old rest in peace.

It's bad enough that I was forced to get off of perfectly good hardware (AMIII and Digi001)... TWICE... But I think I see the writing on the wall. I'm keeping my current PT-MP setup and will never drop another dime on it for upgrades. Thankfully, my M-Audio card works quite well with Sonar and if Avid decides to stop supporting it in the next couple of years, then I'll be buying from the competition.

Goodbye Digidesign/Avid/WTF ever you're called now.