Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2003, 12:44 AM

Default Save Session Copy In? / Data CD?

I've never had to use this until now. I'm just a little nervous about trashing the session after I've burnt it to CD. When I'm ready to do this, I first : 1. "save session as"...w/ a new name. 2. "remove" all unused regions. then 3. "save session copy in"....to a new location. My main sessions are on an external FW drive, and when I "save session as / save session copy in", I put it on my System Drive. So after I've burned my CD w/ the "copy" session on it, can I trash it from my system drive and not fear my original session (on the FW drive) was interfered with? Also, when I make a data cd, I just drag and drop the session onto a CD......is this the right way to do this?, and when I drag the cd to the dock to burn it, how can I change the burn speed?, the only option I get is maximum. The only other software I have is iTunes, and I couldn't figure out how to do it w/ that....even when I went to preferences>make data cd, it didn't work (wouldn't let me drop anything into an iTunes playlist). Do you even need a program to burn data CD's (pt sessions)? No app. opens when I do this....I'm a little confused. Sorry for the long post.....any help would be great.
Old 11-20-2003, 04:03 AM

Default Re: Save Session Copy In? / Data CD?

You can bounce to disk or burn a data CD right from your FW drive. No need to move them to your system drive to do that.
I use toast and drag the bounced file or the data files into the Toast app and when I hit burn (red button) I get the speed option.
If you use iTunes to burn the speed is setup in the preferences section.

Good Luck
Old 11-20-2003, 05:16 AM

While you do not HAVE to do the save session copy in before backing up, it is always a good idea, this ensures ALL assiocated audio files are contained within the session folder.

Burn the Session backups as data, not audio.

when restoring from a CD or DVD backup, you may have to remove the read only atribute before you can record or edit the session.
Old 11-20-2003, 09:24 AM

Thanks for the reply guys. Where, in regards to your above post: how, or what should I use to make a DATA backup of my PT sessions? I used Toast back awhile ago, but no longer have it on this computer., so I'm a little weary on how to do it now. Should I just drag and drop the session folder onto a blank CD-R?, or should I use iTunes? (which I have tried, even changed the prefs. to "make data cd", but couldn't drop anything in the iTunes window / playlist? Thanks for your help.
Old 11-20-2003, 01:58 PM

I don't think you can make data CD's with itunes. There is a data burning application in the Mac OS, but I forget what it's called. check your apple help menu.
Old 11-20-2003, 02:01 PM

To burn a data CD on a new Mac just place a blank CD in the drive.. and it'll ask if you want to prepare the disk.. say Yes. Just drag and drop files/folders onto the disk.. when you eject it, it'll ask if you want to burn the disk.. say Yes.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 11-20-2003, 03:17 PM

I use Roxio Toast Titanium 5.2 for data cd's. It's quite charming. Don't know about Toast 6 though. 5 is fine.
Tito