Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2006, 08:14 AM

Default Re: Power Conditioning

Quote:
Quote:
if you don't have any major problems with just regulation, you may not need the balanced, though. monitor buzz? do you need to perform Iyengar Yoga to use a single-coil pickups
Most guitar pickup noise comes from things that balanced power will not improve (noisy, low quality light dimmers, CRT monitors, etc.).

Lee Blaske
yes...RF ... nothing you can really do about it. yet...when i had a problem, i started with a ferrite clam. then gave my stat some internal attention. additionaly, a look at the grounding and some mu metal shielding might help. things improved.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 11-16-2006, 01:10 PM

a regen system is fabulous if you can afford it.

take 480 3 phase
drive a big heavy flywheel
w/ a 120/240 generator on the other side

still ned a UPS for complete loss of power but it takes care of sags, spikes, and dirty power

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 11-16-2006, 02:26 PM

Very simple -- buy an APC with plenty of power overhead. You will be very happy. I have owned many of the Furman BS conditioners which did nothing for me. I got an APC UPS and was shocked at what I was missing. Maybe the Furman helps in very isolated cases, but I had multiple furman conditioners in multiple studio locations always felt them to be useless compared to an APC UPS.

I think a lot of people who report good effects with a furman conditioner may have previously not tried the "tree limbs" method of setting up power. Methinks a power strip doing tree-limb method is nearly identical (except in special cases I didn't run into)
Old 11-16-2006, 08:28 PM

I'm using this APC H10... they also have an H15 with more power. Doesn't have battery backup, but when the power goes out it does so gently after about 5 sec.

http://www.apc.com/resource/include/...m?base_sku=H10

http://www.apc.com/resource/include/...m?base_sku=H15

Or the APC S10 and S15 with battery... pure sine wave.

http://www.apc.com/resource/include/...m?base_sku=S10

http://www.apc.com/resource/include/...m?base_sku=S15

Reasonable price. No Hype. Good Product.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:45 AM

Thanks for all of the opinions and advice. JSantiago glad that you had good experiences with the APC line because that is where I am heading. BRH those along with the J series are the ones I am currently looking at.

Thanks again.
Old 11-18-2006, 03:59 PM

My main room is with Dynaudio AIR, connected via AES/EBU. My little room is analogue connected (balanced off course).
In my little room I experienced some buzzes, and "flubbers". No tipical wire-buzz anyway. One of my neighbours overhere is a welding company and welding (the heavy ones) spreads EMI (we call them like that overhere) emissions over the electricity-net.
I'm not a electrician, so I looked for a proper all-in-one solution. Talking with people who have knowlidge about electricity, the word "line-conditioning" came up all the time. My sinus from the wallplug was not properly 50Hz (60Hz in US off course). It probably looked like a sawtooth or something...
Anyway, no problems with the AIR's.
So I found myself an APC:
http://www.apc.com/resource/include/...T&tab=features
It's giving really clean power, and the batteries come in handy. With 3500Watts I can connect the complete studio. Great!

Good luck with the quest for steady clean power!
Old 07-31-2008, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsantiago View Post
Very simple -- buy an APC with plenty of power overhead. You will be very happy. I have owned many of the Furman BS conditioners which did nothing for me. I got an APC UPS and was shocked at what I was missing. Maybe the Furman helps in very isolated cases, but I had multiple furman conditioners in multiple studio locations always felt them to be useless compared to an APC UPS.

I think a lot of people who report good effects with a furman conditioner may have previously not tried the "tree limbs" method of setting up power. Methinks a power strip doing tree-limb method is nearly identical (except in special cases I didn't run into)
I know you posted this almost two years ago, but if you're still on the airwaves: can you tell me if you think that the type h supply is quiet enough for use in a single room studio?

Thanks,

Steve
Eleven Rack (live rig and studio rig!!)
Win7 * 003R * PT 11