Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 12-01-2022, 08:18 PM

Default Product name: Pro Tools Perpetual but iLok says subscription

Hello,

I am unable to use Pro Tools. I can't tell you the version because I can't open it.

I bought my Pro Tools perpetual license with the understanding that when it expired, it would still work but you could not update it. And it does say "perpetual" when I try to open it.

But, when I look at my iLok or Avid account, it says subscription.

Definition of perpetual license: A perpetual license is one where a software application is sold on a one-time basis and the licensee can then use a copy of the software forever. A perpetual license model offers a customer access to a software application in perpetuity, hence the name.

To be clear, when I try to open my Pro Tools, it says:

Software Activation: Pro Tools Perpetual

All visible licenses expired.

Product name: Pro Tools Perpetual

Question: Is there a mistake with my account or is this going to end up costing money?

Thank you for any help. I'm sure you get tired of the licensing questions.
Old 12-02-2022, 10:47 AM

Default Re: Product name: Pro Tools Perpetual but iLok says subscription

Looks like a good week (cyber week) to buy a subscription. I will probably do that.
Old 12-03-2022, 11:03 AM

If there is possibly something wrong with your account, tech support is better than our guesses.

Open a support ticket in avid.com >>> sign-in
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //
Old 12-03-2022, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikerama View Post
...I bought my Pro Tools perpetual license with the understanding that when it expired, it would still work but you could not update it. And it does say "perpetual" when I try to open it.

But, when I look at my iLok or Avid account, it says subscription...
I checked your Avid account and the Pro Tools Studio section shows a Subscription that expired Nov 23. I don't see a perpetual product in my.avid.com/products or perpetual license in your iLok account (other than Pro Tools Intro). Can you share a screenshot of the window that refers to Pro Tools Studio perpetual? If you bought a perpetual license we should get a support case going so you can submit your receipt...
Old 04-07-2023, 06:10 PM

jeffro...thank for the suggestions. I updated for a reasonable price and am happy.