Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 11-26-2002, 10:40 AM

Default Samples and protools le....HELP

Hey, I am trying to get started using samples in protools, I have Le 5.3 and the 002 on a 2.53 p4 with a gb of ddr. I use a crappy keyboard to do midi writing, and I am using Sampletank SE RTAS for my sound module...

My problem is this---

I want to use samples to create drum loops and drum parts for demo songs. I only know a tiny bit about digital recording. I have tried the sampletank sounds and I dont really like the drum sounds, so I went out and bought the samplheads drumworks nyc disk with tons of sampled drums...

Now heres my question---How do I use them? Should I put them into my sampletank rootfolder? Can I load them as sounds in sampletank and then assign them to keyboard notes? Or do I just load them into protools directly, and if so, how do I do that?

Thanks in advance, and please give me detailed instructions cuz this is all new to me!!!
Seth

PS The Sampletank manual sucks, especially for protools. Very basic.
Old 11-26-2002, 11:28 AM

Default Re: Samples and protools le....HELP

Quote:
Originally posted by Seth Smith:
so I went out and bought the samplheads drumworks nyc disk with tons of sampled drums...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Does this package give tell you the tempo that the samples are done at?
Old 11-26-2002, 11:38 AM

If the samples are 24 bit and aren't loops you can just go to File and import audio to track. pick the file you want and hit done. The file will come up in your edit window. Then you just highlight the sound using spot mode, copy it, change your mode over to grid and paiste it where you want it in the loop. Does that help?

-Kevin
Old 11-26-2002, 01:19 PM

the audio doesnt have to be 24 bit. If protools cant read it directly, it will convert it to the format ptle needs and use that insteda of the original file...

Bastiaan
Old 11-27-2002, 02:15 PM

Okay guys,

I solved the problem and thought id post it cuz none of em here were what I did...

First of all, there are tempo reads for all, 108, 120, etc. But what I did was dl a cd "ripper" because Protools couldnt read the audio files, for like 20 bucks. So I "sucked" the audio off the disk and onto my hd and then imported them in the import audio selection of my regions list...

Since there are like 55 tracks per disk with many loops and hits per track, I then previewed the whole disk(import audio to track), which took a while, then did the separate region deal with the editing tools and isolated my favorite hits and loops and then renamed the regions in a new folder with only my favorites (for ease of use)...they come out as stereo tracks by the way and they all are recorded at good levels, just below clipping. Then of course I just made a track for snares, kicks, and the various cymbals and went to work...Although I am brand new at this, the results were like this...

Alone, the difference in background atmospheric sound, I dont know what else to call it, was pretty apparent-there was a change in the silence when the individual hits played. But when mixed with a lot of other loud instruments they came out pretty well in the mix, that is for my primitive mixing abilities...

So for any other newbies out there...sampletank se the bundled plug-in is a closed module and ya can't use it to do anything. But heck, it was free... BTW, all my explanation posts will be extremely detailed like this for the other extreme newbies out there, cuz thats what I like to hear when i ask for an explanation-forest gump level [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] .

Seth Smith