Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2011, 10:27 AM

Default Whats the best mouse for Pro Tools?

Hey everyone!

I was using the might mouse for a couple or years and recently got the magic mouse and didn't really like the feel or the tracking. So i took it back and traded it for the magic trackpad. Its nice but i feel like i'm working slower with it and haven't really gotten use to the tracking.

So i'm looking for a new mouse of some sort. What mouses are you guys using/recommend?
PT9 coming soon!
Old 01-05-2011, 11:18 AM

Default Re: Whats the best mouse for Pro Tools?

I like the Magic Trackpad, but in the preferences I set One Finger to Tap to Click, Two Fingers to Scroll and Three Fingers to Dragging. I've gotten very use to using Pro Tools this way, using three fingers for the trim tool for example. I find the less motion the better, so having just tap to click instead of pressing down on the pad is less fatiguing. The Magic Trackpad replaced my Kensington Track Ball, which now feels like pulling a cart.

I know this doesn't answer your question, but you should play around with the settings to see if you can make it better for you.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:31 AM

Magic Trackpad + Better Touch Tool + QuicKeys = infinite possibility!

You can do tons of different click/drag combinations and map them to keystrokes in PT, or to QuicKeys macros to do a series of things. I use this combo to quickly do things with just a variety of taps:

Alternate between Mix/Edit windows
Zoom Toggle
Zoom Horizontal or Vertical
Scroll (of course)
Make selections
and a bunch of other things I'm in the process of setting up...

BTT
QuicKeys
MBPro 15" Dual, 4GB RAM
PT9, URS Strip Pro, Waves Musician's Bundle, Waves Maserati, Massey Plugs, SSD EX, Trigger Platinum
Axiom 49/25, Novation Nocturn, Magic Trackpad, QuicKeys, Glyph GT050Q
Old 01-07-2011, 08:16 AM

I don't use a mouse but rather a trackball from Kensington. It's the Kensington Expert Mouse which is a misnomer. It's actually a trackball with a scroll ring and 4 large buttons/pads around the scroll ring. The ball itself is about 2 inches in diameter and has a nice feel to it. The buttons are programmable from the driver software. One of the best things with this is you have less of a chance to have carpal tunnel problems like you'd get with a regular mouse.

And remember that with a Mac you can have multiple mice/trackballs/touchpads/pointing devices plugged in at the same time.

Something else I have but I only use it for Photoshop is a Wacom pen tablet. Going to have to try it in PT. The pen stylus can function in either mouse mode or pen mode (see the Wacom site for a description).

Tried the Mighty Mouse when it first came out and what a waste of money. Apple has never made a decent mouse. And remember that you are NOT stuck with an Apple mouse on a Mac - you can use any product that has a standard USB connector.

QAPLA!
Old 01-07-2011, 08:50 AM

Yes the track pad is nice, but I do remember reading in the avid site somewhere that you shouldn't use Bluetooth with protools.

Get a Kensington track ball. I like it because is always in the same place on the desktop. The mighty mouse is good but sometimes when I drag I wind up either hitting something on the desktop or running off the edge of the desktop.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:03 AM

logitech MX REVOLUTION

10 buttons

best mouse

all tools are in the palm of my hand
Old 01-07-2011, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barlevy View Post
logitech MX REVOLUTION

10 buttons

best mouse

all tools are in the palm of my hand
Had one and wore out the switches in 6 months. That and it would lose communication with the wireless dongle which is a fragile piece.

QAPLA!
Old 01-07-2011, 10:23 AM

Somebody turned me on to the Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer 3 (NOT 4!).

I see why it is considered the mouse of choice for gamers. It is wired and has been rock solid.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:54 AM

I use the Intellimouse 3 also.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:43 PM

I adore my Logitech Anywhere MX mouse. It's built like a tank, very ergonomic and the perfect size. I have the back and forth browsing buttons set to zoom in and out and the window button in the center set to toggle Edit and Mix windows. VERY AWESOME. It's usb receiver is the size of a chicklet so it doesn't take up a ton of space.
I'm running it on a Mac and the included software is awesome. You can set multiple profiles so it automatically detects what app your in and changes settings accordingly. Very smooth.
Just my 2 cents!