How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2013, 06:59 PM

Default New Install of 10.3.3: Physical RAM Running Low Immediately

All,
Ok, so I was running Pro Tools 10.0.x on a dual core laptop running Win 7 64bit with 4gb of ram. Never had one single instance of any type of error. I bought a Lenovo S20 Workstation. Xeon processor with 4gb of ram. Again running Win 7 64 bit. I have the same plugins installed that I did on the laptop. I did the Windows 7 optimizations. I also now have the OS on a SSD. Basically everything in this new computer is better... processor, better ram, better hd.

I installed Pro Tools 10.3.3 fresh. Upon opening, I'm immediately getting the "Physical RAM is running low message." Obviously I was shocked to see this message considering this computer is better and the software is essentially the same setup... aside from having 10.3.3 as opposed to the earlier 10.0.x I was running on the laptop.

Any ideas as to what is causing this? Is there a way to test the plugins in case one of them is causing it... even though none of them are open? Again, I get this immediately after Pro Tools loads... don't even have a session up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! This is obviously not something I was looking forward to as I try to get back into this hobby!

Thanks!
Doug D.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:28 PM

Default Re: New Install of 10.3.3: Physical RAM Running Low Immediately

UPDATE...

So I fired up the old laptop (Keep in mind this is the one that worked fine). Opened task manager and went to performance. The total physical memory total says 4094. Free and available is over 3000. Also on the laptop I right clicked my computer and went to properties. Installed memory (RAM) says 4.00 GB... and that is it.

Now on my Lenovo S20 that also has 4gb of RAM installed...
Opened task manager and went to performance. The total physical memory toal says 2039 (laptop was 4094). Available is just over 1300 and Free is just over 800 (both these on the laptop were over 3000). Lasty, under computer properties on the Lenovo S20, the RAM says 4.00gb just like it did on the laptop, but it says 1.99 usable after that.

I'm stumped... and the sad thing is I'm kinda computer savvy. Any idea what is going on with my new machine? The only thing I can think is that the NVIDIA FX380 graphics card is hogging system ram to go along with its built in ram. I don't think you can change that though can you?

I'm open to any other ideas or things to try. At this point I don't think it is any plugins since I have the same plugins as before and because I get the error before any session is even open.

Thanks again,
Doug D.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:07 PM

ISSUE RESOLVED!!!...

So don't laugh too hard at me. I opened up the case and figured I would remove one of the 2 chips and kinda test them one at a time. However, that is when I noticed one of the chips was in DIMM slot 3. I looked closely and they are labeled 1 through 6. I know you have to fill up the blue ones first on this board, but noticed they were in slots 2 and 3 instead of 1 and 2. Took the one out of 3 and put it in 1. Problem resolved!

I did some research before I opened the case and also saw that bent pins on the cpu chip can cause this type of problem. Thought I would mention that just in case someone else has a similar issue.

Anyway, don't make too much fun. The pc came to me that way. Anyway, I plan to eventually put in 3 4gb chips for 12gb.

Have a good weekend everyone. Now to relearn what I once new Pro Tools over the weekend!

Thanks,
Doug D.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:05 PM

I call that good detective work

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-22-2013, 11:26 PM

I like happy endings.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88