Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2011, 04:25 AM

Default new imac and drives questions

im planning to buy a new imac i5 27"
but i need to know impressions of users
do i need to get an external drive to run PT?
can i use a FW drive?

pls help
4mb of ram are ok?
Old 05-29-2011, 07:40 PM

Post Re: new imac and drives questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrusa View Post
do i need to get an external drive to run PT?
You should. Just because you can use the Macintosh HD for your sessions does not mean you should.
Quote:
can i use a FW drive?
Yes.
Quote:
pls help
I tried.
Quote:
4mb of ram are ok?
Surely you mean 4GB. Yes, this will be OK.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:32 AM

Default Re: new imac and drives questions

Just because you can use the Macintosh HD for your sessions does not mean you should.

Since the 27" iMac offers a "two-drive" option, why couldn't you use an SSD for your OS and programs and the "spinning" hard drive for audio? The internal "spinning" drive should be much faster than a Firewire drive. NOTE: SSD's are not yet approved for any purpose by Avid.

While 4GB is the maximum amount of memory that can be utilized by the current 32-bit version of Pro Tools, it might be worth going to 8GB if you can afford it.

There are various "work arounds" that can take advantage of additional memory for virtual instruments, and many observers (myself included) believe 64-bit Pro Tools will be out in the next year...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 05-30-2011, 03:16 AM

Default Re: new imac and drives questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
Since the 27" iMac offers a "two-drive" option, why couldn't you use an SSD for your OS and programs and the "spinning" hard drive for audio? The internal "spinning" drive should be much faster than a Firewire drive.
My thoughts aswell. I would definitley go for a internal two disk solution if shopping a imac today.