Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-13-2012, 08:22 AM

Default Saving for a New iMac/Mac Pro - Which Drives?

Hey everyone,

I'm saving up for a new Mac to run PT 10 on (my Core 2 Duo just isn't cutting it these days). While waiting for news on the Mac Pro situation I've been looking over the new iMac's which are also due for a refresh sometime.

I'm leaning toward getting a 27" 3.4Ghz with the SSD and 2TB internal drive factory, eventually upgrading to 8 or 16GB ram on my own. The idea being that I can get an internal drive for running my PT sessions on and my external Lacie Drive for samples (using a lot of EastWest plugs).

Would it be better to instead run my samples off the internal 2TB and projects off the Lacie? Or should I be going about this a whole different direction.

I mostly do a lot of arranging with the East West CCC and I'd like to be able to get a lot more going on without having to reboot my computer all the time/print all of my tracks. It's a hassle during the arranging phase to have to deactivate plugs when I want to lay down a guitar track just so i can get my latency low while playing in live, etc, etc. I'd like to eventually do a lot more album production at home (outsourcing drums), and getting Waves Gold or thereabouts.

Thoughts on getting my new rig together in an ideal situation? As I'm saving for this new computer setup my budget can be reasonably flexible, but I'd like to keep the new computer budget within $2-4k max as this is a 3-5yr transitionary phase to a Mac Pro setup heading toward HDX.

Any money I can save now will only assist in the ever-growing list of home studio upgrades (upgrading mics from my Rode K2/NT-5s, better preamps/converters, bigger Whisper Room (currently 3.5'x7'x7'), etc).

Thanks for your suggestions!

Dan

P.S. I've also been looking into Logic Pro as an option for arranging/sequencing since the price has dropped and/or getting a VEPro setup to help ease the burden of multiple PLAY plugins....
Music Production Toolkit
Behringer Truth B2031A Monitors
Rode K2/NT-5 Microphones
Pro Tools 9.0.5