Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 12-16-2013, 06:36 PM

Default recording electric guitar (Picking sounds)

Is there anyway to remove the sound of the guitar pick strumming up and down the strings of a n electric Guitar? I am recording with my guitar plugged into the Mbox and I'm getting constant sounds of my Guitar pick making noise.

Mac OS 10.10.3
Mbox 2,
Pro Tools 11
Old 12-16-2013, 07:03 PM

Default Re: recording electric guitar (Picking sounds)

How do you mean? Are you playing thru an amp sim and don't want to hear your direct guitar sound or something else? Btw what kind of guitar?
Old 12-16-2013, 07:18 PM

I assume you are talking an acoustic guitar. What exact guitar? String type (nylon, steel?). Type of music? What exact Mic(s) do you have?

Lots this is player skill. Mic type and position. etc. not processing in Pro Tools.

Try micing close to the sound hole, pointing up on the neck a bit more, more of an ambient mic. All some type of decent condenser mic. Does the guitar have a piezo mic? Then track that as well.

And a lot of this might just be that the pick noise dissapers more when in a mix with other instruments.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:25 PM

If recording acoustic, try a cardioid or even hypercardioid about 12 inches from the 12th fret. Not sure why u would have pick noise on an electric. Do u have a recorded sample?
I am the main songwriter/performer for Midwest Whitetail, Cabela's Deer Nation, Spring Thunder, and Northern Waters Series!
Old 12-16-2013, 08:01 PM

As nobody seems to have answered your actual question I'll give it a go.
You could try a de esser to try and soften the front of the sound although it can be a bit hit or miss. The best thing I've found is to use RX3 using the de click module, of course this means having to have RX 3 but there is a demo you can try.
HD Native PCIe
Apogee Symphony I/O
Avid HD I/O
192 I/O
Waves DLI
Apogee Mini Me
Mbox Micro
Old 12-16-2013, 08:12 PM

What you mean like he actually said "electric guitar" in the title and we'd have read the title? (oh oops and body text). No that would be too easy

If the guitar is being tracked though the a DI, then the impact of the pick sound will change a lot as you process that with an amp sim or run it out to reamp etc. I'd be playing with that overall tone/signal chain before worrying too much about the pick sound.

And maybe give the player/yourself a softer/thinner pick or playing back the audio to them (monitored in their headphones etc.) and seeing if they can pick differently to minimize the problem might also help.
Old 12-17-2013, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryced87 View Post
Is there anyway to remove the sound of the guitar pick strumming up and down the strings of a n electric Guitar? I am recording with my guitar plugged into the Mbox and I'm getting constant sounds of my Guitar pick making noise.
You most probably only record too hot, otherwise it's just a matter of learning to mix.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryced87 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew. D View Post
As nobody seems to have answered your actual question I'll give it a go.
You could try a de esser to try and soften the front of the sound although it can be a bit hit or miss. The best thing I've found is to use RX3 using the de click module, of course this means having to have RX 3 but there is a demo you can try.
And here's a video from Russ Hughes of Pro Tools Expert showing how to lessen the pick attack sound on a bass; should also work for guitar. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5argu...em-uploademail

QAPLA!
Old 12-17-2013, 04:31 AM

A transient shaper like Waves TRANS-X can take the edge off of pick sounds, but I've only used it on acoustic.

Check the pickups for microphonics and height adjustment.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:05 AM

An alternate plugin that has a transient shaper and some other things as well is Izotope Alloy 2.