Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2022, 09:53 AM

Default Re: Unstable 2022.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robruce View Post
Perhaps you meant to write "Autotune EFX+" ?

But if in fact you are still attempting to load Antares Autotune EFX, and not Autotune EFX+, then do try removing AT altogether from the Plugin Folder as it is incompatible. hth

Yeah, its EFX+

After one day investigation, I know it's not Pianoteq.

Also found out, that same time with AAE-9173 error, the System usage CPU total shows 100% value. The bar is red, but is not fully right side.
One more thing...there is separate red alert "Audio engine inactive. Check you audio device"
I will try to post a picture of the situation.

Forgot to mention....I have Caldigit TS3+.....but all software and drivers should be lates ones. Double checked everything.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7189.jpg (64.6 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by Ride2; 07-13-2022 at 10:06 AM.
Old 07-13-2022, 11:04 AM

Now progressing.....the issue came up just with Avid plug-ins and EFX+

So, if it's plug-in uncompability, it's Autotune EFX+ (9.1.0)
I assume, Avid plug-ins should be stable?

There is actually on mysterious thing. Antarestech´s download-page is showing
clearly, that the file is EFX+. However, the information in finder (after downloading) is saying just EFX, without plus.
Could someone EFX+ user doublecheck in his/her system, what Finder is saying about the version (EFX or EFX+)
Old 07-13-2022, 12:01 PM

Thanks, I should have everything in order. Done everything twice.
I will make a support ticket to Anaterestech now.

Meanwhile, is there any well-functioning alternative to Autotune?
Googling didn't help much and Melodyne is not an option...my workflow
needs realtime processing.
Old 07-13-2022, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SdmSuli View Post
I am tracking within pro tools I use an 1176 and auto-tune to track, my buffer size is 32 when tracking. I have a Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd gen I recently updated the driver for the interface. the memory pressure chart is shown in the yellow area while using pro tools. also, I won't get any error codes if I was to command-s the program would just freeze up and give me the spinning beach ball. All I know is that I wasn't crashing every 5 min on 2022.4 I am very sure that my problems are coming from 2022.6
OK that clarifies a lot.

Tracking at lowest latency with native DAWs (i.e. not HDX) is all about optimizing the IO buffer size down to the whatever level the DAW will run with without being unstable (in the case of Pro Tools throwing AAE CPU errors).

Unfortunately you are likely just working in a configuration where these errors are going to be expected. If you can run at 32 samples on a good day with a properly spec/configured system you are doing well. Running plugins can make that worse, and autotune is not going to help. And then there is memory pressure... the Apple Silicon Macs have an impressive fast memory paging to the internal very fast SSD drives, and impressive fast memory compression with their Arm based processors, and for many apps that gives the illusion that the small memory configuration Macs are running in memory. The sign to some folks that they are not running in memory is the load on that internal SSD, with some users noticing that the paging to that drive has reduced the expected wear life of the drive (something not an issue for normal use... but the paging is so extensive it can decrease drive life). This all has caused some controversy with those users upset at Apple.

Many normal apps don't care if there are slight stutters as the system say pages in some memory. But Pro Tools sure can care, it's a real time program that is actively looking for stutters in performance... and will fire that CPU error when it detects one, it's doing that to preserve the quality of audio recording and playback. The smaller you set the IO Buffer size the more load you put on the system and the more demanding you force Pro Tools to check for latency problems and the more exposed you are to the slightest latency caused by the computer being low on memory. Again make sure disk cache is set to Normal and other programs are not running or running in the background. There is more memory stats we can look at but I doubt that helps you now. But especially *don't* look at "free" and think some number displayed there means the system is not under excessive memory load, that's not what "free" is telling you.

I suspect you are just running on the hairy edge and should be working at 64 or 128 samples (with ignore errors always unchecked... it adds additional latency, and "optimize for small IO..." checked). That a previous version of Pro Tools seemed to work better might be some very very subtle thing, you can switch back and try it, or it might just be session/workload related. And at 32 IO samples the driver implementation starts becoming very important, and I don't think Focusrite have any special magic there (2i2 is still a fine interface in general).

I would hate for you to beat your head against trying to solve problems at 32 IO sample size. Or for you to expect switching back to a previous version will solve this for you in the long term. By all means try, but I'd be increasing the IO buffer at the first sign of any problem.

If longer term you start using larger sessions and/or more plugins you will want to look at freezing/committing tracks to reduce CPU and memory load. And ultimately you may need to upgrade the laptop to get more memory.

And again, next time please start your own thread, it's not polite to other users trying to get their problems solved to jumble up their thread, unless you are really really sure it's the same issue.
Old 07-13-2022, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SdmSuli View Post
I am tracking within pro tools I use an 1176 and auto-tune to track, my buffer size is 32 when tracking. I have a Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd gen I recently updated the driver for the interface. the memory pressure chart is shown in the yellow area while using pro tools. also, I won't get any error codes if I was to command-s the program would just freeze up and give me the spinning beach ball. All I know is that I wasn't crashing every 5 min on 2022.4 I am very sure that my problems are coming from 2022.6
same issue happen to me with AutoTune Artist and EFX+. Vr 9.1.0 the most recent version. 2013 MP Monterey 12.3 and PT 2022.5 Ultimate

www.sugarhillstudios713.com
Old 07-13-2022, 06:38 PM

Ooops yes a lockup/beach ball/crash (pro tools disappears/no eAAE error) is likely to be a plugin issue. Separately from that you have an IO Buffer size so low that it is likely to cause problems, and I think you should increase that anyhow.

The log files ~/Logs/Avid/Pro* might give a clue…. they are plain text look through for any warnings/errors esp. near the crash that might seem relevant. Often easiest to compare a log that is from a good session to one that failed. Maybe one where you uninstall the plugin if needed. That log may help the plugin vendor. Offer it to them if you contact them.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 07-13-2022 at 09:46 PM.
Old 07-13-2022, 10:48 PM

Latest news.....Antarestech is aware of this issue. They recommend installing previous version: EFX+ 9.0.1
Hopefully they fix this soon.
Here is link to previous version:

https://autotune.sfo2.digitaloceansp....0.1_macOS.zip

Once installed, please reset your DAW's plugin cache to initiate a plugin scan.
Old 07-14-2022, 04:39 AM

Could not complete the open the session command because Magic ID does not match.” In some cases, this error may come up if there's not enough preferred memory allocated to the Pro Tools application. What is a unique ID? Pro Tools 5.1 and later stamps each file that it records with a unique id.
PT 2022.12 studio, Cubase 12 Pro, 12 Core Mac Pro 6,1 96GB OS X 12.6.6, Mac Mini i7 QC 16GB, Digico Soundgrid DLI, Revive Audio 96IO & 192 DBox & 2BussLT for summing, Waves, SoundToys and a pile of other plugins. NI Maschine/Komplete Ultimate 12 and many many, too many Kontakt Libraries.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmT..._as=subscriber
Old 07-14-2022, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride2 View Post
Thanks, I should have everything in order. Done everything twice.
I will make a support ticket to Anaterestech now.

Meanwhile, is there any well-functioning alternative to Autotune?
Googling didn't help much and Melodyne is not an option...my workflow
needs realtime processing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEYV9FH91Vo. this workflow might help.
PT 2022.12 studio, Cubase 12 Pro, 12 Core Mac Pro 6,1 96GB OS X 12.6.6, Mac Mini i7 QC 16GB, Digico Soundgrid DLI, Revive Audio 96IO & 192 DBox & 2BussLT for summing, Waves, SoundToys and a pile of other plugins. NI Maschine/Komplete Ultimate 12 and many many, too many Kontakt Libraries.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmT..._as=subscriber
Old 07-14-2022, 11:20 PM

Thank you all for your help. EFX+ 9.0.1 seems to be stable (so far).

Yeah, Waves stuff is familiar from the past...L1 was my favorite :)